+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you an "adult"?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are you an "adult"?

Personally, I think that the legal age of adulthood should be 25. I know that when I was 15, I thought I was grown, but once I hit 18, I realized that there's so much I had to learn before I can consider myself an actual "adult". Hell, even now as a 26 year-old--sometimes--I don't feel grown.

One of my best friends--who happens to be 51--always says that just because you can vote, that doesn't mean that you're grown. Now, I don't mean change the voting age to 25, because I feel like younger people should have the right to choose who our president is. If more younger people voted, Bush wouldn't be in office right now!

But, I feel like the legal drinknig/smoking age should be 25. You can be emancipated at 18, meaning if you wanna get outta your parent's house, you can move out. I'm sure your parents want that anyway. LOL. But you wouldn't be able to buy cigaretts or liquor. I feel like once you're 25, you're past doin' the stupid shit that usually gets you in trouble. Although, I will admit, I still spray-paint. I've learned from exerience that younger people are more inclined to do things like: Joining a gang--or getting arrested in general--or just being bad apples in general. Every single time that I've been held up at gunpoint, it was by someone who was much, much, MUCH younger than me.

That's just my opinion though.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that changing either the age of "adulthood" or the drinking age would be redundant. It doesn't matter what age people are allowed to start doing something, they will begin when they feel like it. I personally won't drink until I am 21 but that is just my state of mind. Maturity necessarily isn't in how old you are it is a personal characteristic. A raise in the drinking age will more than likely cause those who are under that age, who, at one time were old enough to drink to rebel and start drinking earlier to demonstrate their defiance.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Personally, I think that the legal age of adulthood should be 25.
    Sprout, twenty-five??! Twenty five?? You do realize that twenty-five is nearing thirties, right? That's too long a way to be considered as an actual "adult". I think the right age is at least twenty-one. But like yours, this is just my opinion.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that there is a misconception that people have that if you are not an adult you can't be responsible. People can get jobs and have responsibilities long before that age. Heck back when it was 21 people were usually apprenticed by 14. If there is an issue there is always emancipation as atomik_sprout mentioned.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree that we should raise the legal age of adulthood. The brain really doesn't finish maturing until 21 anyway. I don't know about anyone else, though; I was born with the mind of a forty-year-old and have been getting younger since.

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    There is something I have been thinking of for sometime that I expect everyone to have an opinion on. That is whether we should change the age of majority (when you become a legal adult) back to 21 or even as high as 24 yrs of age.

Here is my reasons.

1. Research into the affects of sex and childbirth indicate that it is better for a persons health if they wait to have sex/childbirth until they are at least 21.

2. Research into the effects of alcohol consumption have found that damage to the brain from excessive drinking is usually permanent if it takes place before the age 23-24. The same ages that it is most likely to occur. (After that to counter the effects one has merely to stop drinking.)

3. Studies into mental maturation discovered that people do their most changing mentally between the age of 18-21. After 21 one has finished maturing mentally.

So with all the arguing people do about what the proper age for buying alcohol etc is (say 16/18/21) I am thinking we should go in the opposite direction. Raise the age of adulthood to at least 21 and legal alcohol consumption to 23 or 24 (voting ages would of course follow).

What do the rest of you think?
    The screaming may now commence.
    Excellent idea! I dont think anyone should be considered an adult at 18! Being an adult sux. And pushing you to think you are at such an immature age, does not help the process.
    Good thinking.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent idea! I dont think anyone should be considered an adult at 18! Being an adult sux. And pushing you to think you are at such an immature age, does not help the process.
    Good thinking.
    So are alot of ppl at 25, which are also very immature. Its more of the persons personality, not always a age thing. Not everyone at 18 is immature. They have to be given responsibility at sometime, which was decided to be age 18. When your an adult at 18, you more of an apprentice adult. Learning how to be a full fledged one. Like i said before if you push the age ahead to be an adult, it will take them that much more to learn to be a full grown adult.

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    So are alot of ppl at 25, which are also very immature. Its more of the persons personality, not always a age thing. Not everyone at 18 is immature. They have to be given responsibility at sometime, which was decided to be age 18. When your an adult at 18, you more of an apprentice adult. Learning how to be a full fledged one. Like i said before if you push the age ahead to be an adult, it will take them that much more to learn to be a full grown adult.
    Yeah i mean i was very mature at 16. And 18 i was a pretty well rounded person. But when my little brother turned 18, he was like some rebellious 13yr old, making alot of bad deciones that lets say, stays on his record. Its like giving a toddler a bucket of water and an electrical plug.

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast