+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

Thread: Are you an "adult"?

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are you an "adult"?

Quote Originally Posted by hamu-hamu View Post
    I'm not legally an adult yet, however many think i've very mature, which takes them in thinking i am like an adult. Maturity and being an adult are two different things, and even if so many consider me an 'adult', inside i'm still a child....you could say that.
    Maturity is one way that shows your an adult. The true way is told by your actions and how you go about life.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Psychiatrist Eric Berne, in his Games People Play, first outlined the theory that each of us is made up of three different “personalities” or, more accurately, ego [self] states. He labeled these Parent, Adult and Child. It’s not that we have three people running around inside us, but rather at certain times and in certain situations we think, feel and behave quite differently, according to which self is in control.

The personality
    Parent
    Adult
    Child

1. The Child
    Our child is the ego state, which developed as a record of our feelings about the world around us when we were about three years old. It is that self within each of us, which responds primarily at a feeling level – wanting recognition, showing off, arguing, feeling hurt, being afraid, becoming excited, being resentful and feeling discouraged and so on.
    Operating in our Child is not always bad! ^_^ Our emotions, of course, are a very important part of us. But when we are required to weigh things up, and think clearly, it is not desirable to be thinking with our emotions. Many an advertiser, or speaker, knows that if he or she can “hook” our Child and so entice us into reacting the basis of our emotions, his/her job of persuading us will be much easier. Our ability to reason will be poorer if our Child is hooked.

2. The Parent
    Each of us also has a Parent ego state. The material in our Parent is what we learnt from our father and mother and other important adult people – a great collection of images and information that was stored in our brain in the first five years of life as these significant people spoke and acted in our world.
    When we consider our task of clear thinking and reasoning, it is apparent that operating in our parent is not the most effective or desirable mode of functioning. If we are in our Parent self we will tend to judge too quickly on the basis of what we have heard or seen in the past – failing to weigh up the evidence. We will generalize too quickly and too sweepingly. We will tend to be guided by rules and pronouncements from our past [“Honest mean always get ahead”] without really thinking rationally. Our Parent tapes, largely taken into our brains without critical editing, will tend to prevent us looking without prejudice, deeply, at the issue.

3. The Adult
    The Adult in us begins to develop from about 10 months when we are first able to operate in our world and observe the effects. The Adult ego state is the data processor, that self in us that figures tings out. The Adult collects the facts, including the Parent’s ‘rules’ and the Child’s feelings, and proceeds to make a reasoned decision. We cannot erase our Parent and Child tapes, but we can choose not to operate in them in situations calling for clear thinking.

Hey I have to admit this should help you with the topic, right? Let’s hope so ^_^;

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Are you an "adult"?

Being an adult means for me to be able to admit that one was wrong. It is to be able to accept the concequences of onself's actions. It is to accept one is guilty without pointing somebody else. It is the maturity to confront one's friends when they are wrong and accept when those same friends tell us where we are wrong without making a whole drama about it. It is to take seriously the things that need to be taken seriously and it is to know how to have fun without loosing the logic and the reason.
    So, for myself, I am starting the path to be an adult. I am not a complete adult yet. I have an adult age but not an adult attitude all the time...
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    bzzzt. Incorrect.
    Uh....what you wrote simply corrected one sentence: "Now that was backed by a 'tradition' argument, because men had been the only ones to vote, so men thought it should stay that way," because of the use of 'only.' You just added that some states previously did allow women to vote, which was revoked by Congress....so, under the agreement for statehood, women weren't given the right to vote, you've just added an example of an exception prior to statehood.

That's why the argument of "the military won't like it" to me has no bearing on whether or not it should be done.
    I'm not saying whether or not it should be done because of what the military thinks, I'm saying that I don't think the military would support the plan, since they are hard pressed for recruits at the moment, and there's the whole issue happening over in Iraq, doing something that could potentially slow recruitment might not be well received by the military....and, since the military and the government go hand in hand, I don't think the government would be up for it as well, at least not at the moment. The government is trying to push for this new surge in Iraq, which the democrats are trying to thwart by putting a limit on military spending (and which Bush has said he will veto)...so obviously current plans for Iraq require the steady growth of a military force....a possible slowing of enlistment could affect the situation.

Soooo, my guess is that an issue like this would be backbenched for the time being because there is probably bigger fish to fry. I'm not trying to say "the military doesn't like it, so don't do it," but just that I don't think they would support it...which could potentially affect the governments thoughts. (the government would be far more likely to pay attention to what the military thinks than to high school students)

But, as I've said in the death penalty thread, and probably a few other threads, it comes down to the people. If enough support can get behind it, then tough luck for what the other people think, because it'll be the majority who push the decision (which is how it should be). As you said, not everyone likes everything, there will always be people who complain, but it's majority rules....I just think the military might pose as an area of contention over the matter.
    Last edited by Chubz; Apr 09, 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubz View Post
    Uh....what you wrote simply corrected one sentence: "Now that was backed by a 'tradition' argument, because men had been the only ones to vote, so men thought it should stay that way," because of the use of 'only.' You just added that some states previously did allow women to vote, which was revoked by Congress....so, under the agreement for statehood, women weren't given the right to vote, you've just added an example of an exception prior to statehood.
    Incorrect again.

I used one example where it was removed previous to statehood. There are two other cases where they had the right to vote while being a state and the right was not removed by congress but by their own state when women voters voted against influential STATE politicians. Think of it as public revenge they could get away with because they advertised that giving women the right to vote was unfair because then they had two votes, theirs and their husbands. Yes, that is an actual quote from the propaganda used to strip the voting rights.

However, i will agree with you that if someone actually (miracle of miracles) proposed this legislation in the US right now it would probably be tabled for the time. In another country? Eh, you tell me.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    There is something I have been thinking of for sometime that I expect everyone to have an opinion on. That is whether we should change the age of majority (when you become a legal adult) back to 21 or even as high as 24 yrs of age.
    Children are trying to grow up too quickly. I caught my 12-year-old sister trying to pass for a 15-year-old online. Yeah. On-line, where there are all sorts of sick perverts looking for someone as beautiful and charismatic as my baby sis. I did not take it well. It led to something of a quiet screaming match (we scream with our eyes, not our voices). I think I won. I hope I won. But I know she still dresses like a . . . and dances like a . . . I just want my sister to be twelve! Is that so much to ask?!

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

... I think it's just better for this generation to raise the age limit (not like it'll help for most people... underage drinking happens everyday everywhere) ...

Being the ME-generation and all (and people say that it's going to change soon... Yeah Right) ... it's not exactly good to *ahem* encourage stupid behavior.

Drinking for the correct ages doesn't really count for this generation, we're a little too... er... "dumb" to handle that responsibility.

Me? I don't care. I don't drink.

- - - -

Sex? Well... it's healthy to have it at 21, I suppose.
    well I guess if you don't want to live have sex as much as you can before 21!

^_^;; Eheheh, sorry, bad joke.

- - - -

Age?
    I dunno, why can't we just judge by their personality.

(I know, that's impossible, but you know it makes them feel better when you say they're really young )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9