+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Youth today

Newbie DarknessInZero is off to a good start DarknessInZero's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Youth today

Media has done nothing other than state the facts on this issue. Percentage of teens who do drugs/drop out has been steadily rising over the years. That leads me to believe that less teens hold values or morales today.

As for anyone deciding what is right, I guess no one can really say what is right, but what isn't right is to do drugs that harm, and cause to lead to other things. Maybe I am over-reacting, maybe not...eh.....

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessInZero View Post
    Media has done nothing other than state the facts on this issue. Percentage of teens who do drugs/drop out has been steadily rising over the years.
    "Current marijuana use among high school students decreased from 27% in 1999 to 20% in 2005." (DOWN 7%)

"Current cocaine use increased from 2% in 1991 to 4% in 2001 and then remained steady from 2001 (4%) to 2005 (3%)." (up 1 %)

"Lifetime inhalant use decreased from 20% in 1995 to 12% in 2003 and then remained steady from 2003 (12%) to 2005 (12%)." (down 7%)

"Lifetime use of ecstasy among high school students decreased from 11% in 2003 to 6% in 2005" (down 5%)

"Lifetime use of methamphetamines decreased from 9% in 1999 to 6% in 2005" (down 3%)

"Lifetime heroin use did not change from 1999 (2%) to 2005 (2%)." (no change)

"Hallucinogenic drug use decreased from 13% in 2001 to 9% in 2005" (down 4%)

In other words: drug use has decreased dramatically in recent years: not increased. Crime is also down since it's last major peak in the late 80s (coinciding with the initial introduction of crack). As for drop-outs:

"Dropout rates of young people ages 16 to 24 in the civilian, non-institutionalized population gradually declined between 1972 and 2004, from 15 percent to a low of 10 percent in 2003, where the rate remained in 2004" it has since dropped back down slightly, but nowhere near as much of a dip as you're insinuating.

source for the drug stats
    source for drop-out rates

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me or does the majority of the teen population and such seem to lack morales, values, and/or respect? It seems to me that all they care about is doing drugs, having sex, and getting away with it. Maybe I am just being ridiculous, or maybe not. What do you all think?
    I think part of it has to do with the media. Part of it has to do with how the youth has been raised. Part of it has to do with the teen population being . . . well, teens. We all go through that stage of "F*** this world!" The ME stage. It's up to the adults, then, to make a good show of morality and respect.

Growing up, my mother wanted to be Mrs. Cleaver (from Leave It To Beaver, if anyone remembers that show). My sister wants be Fergie.

Something is wrong.

Otaku Maskot Kombat Champion Titanofdeath is off to a good start Titanofdeath's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok i will say as being a teen today i dont think i have a lack of respect for my elders i respect them when respect is due for the elders. And i think that i hae tons of moral in my oppoin.

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." "A nation's culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people. " "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Quote Mohandas Gandhi

Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titanofdeath View Post
    Ok i will say as being a teen today i dont think i have a lack of respect for my elders i respect them when respect is due for the elders. And i think that i hae tons of moral in my oppoin.
    I know you outside of this site Titanofdeath, and I have to say thats a load of crap coming from you. You really shouldn't lie like that.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titanofdeath View Post
    See thats what wrong with the youth today. You should show respect to you elders no matter what, not just when you think they deserve it.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    See thats what wrong with the youth today. You should show respect to you elders no matter what, not just when you think they deserve it.
    indeed. even if someones a jerk, you should respect them. im not saying as moch as you would other people, but all the same, they are older.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me or does the majority of the teen population and such seem to lack morales, values, and/or respect? It seems to me that all they care about is doing drugs, having sex, and getting away with it. Maybe I am just being ridiculous, or maybe not. What do you all think?
    Ridiculous? No. Pretty friggin' accurate though, if ya ask me. >_<

I hate to say it, but our future looks pretty bleak in the hands of moraless children. I bet $100 dollars that our generation will make our predecessors proud while our youth will inevitably be our downfall. I blame the media (mostly MTV and Radio).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast