Thread: Anime of the Month Nov. 2006-Generator Gawl

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime of the Month Nov. 2006-Generator Gawl

Okay, for any one who actually watched Nov's anime, here's the review and quiz, as promised.

Generator Gawl, Vol. 1-Human Heart, Metal Soul

This was a re-watch for me; I bought and watched the entire series months ago. Truthfully, it really is more enjoyable the second time around, as a lot of the situations and dialogue in the first few episodes refer to things that happen later (much later, if you consider the fact that Gawl, Koji and Ryo are from the future), and without the sense of urgency to find out what's really going on or what happens next, it's easier to relax and enjoy the show. Even so, it's still a good watch the first time, mainly due to the interaction between Gawl and Manami-they get off on the wrong foot and bicker constantly, but there's definitely a growing attraction between them (seems to be mostly on Manami's side).

The animation is clearly from the '90's; there's no CG and all the scenes have a hand drawn feel. Very well done, the fight scenes aren't choppy, and don't rely stills to convey the action. The English dub is also one of the better ones in anime, and some of the voices sound really familiar (hint for the quiz!).

All in all, I give the first volume of Generator Gawl an 8/10 (lost points due to too much reliance on later episodes, which can be confusing and may turn off first time viewers).

The Quiz!

I made this pretty easy, nothing too tricky and the last questions are bonus.
    Remember to say what you thought of GG before answering so this doesn't turn into a list thread. First one to post with the most correct answers wins!

Episode 1-The Visitors
    1. What is the date on the newspaper Koji takes from the newsstand?
    2. What is Masami's job, and why does her mother call her in sick?
    3. What story does Koji give the police to account for the boys' lack of identification and family?

Episode 2-Flowers and Girls
    1. What is the name of Masami's high school?
    2. According to Masami, how long did the Ring Tower take to complete?
    3. What two people are introduced in the campus greenhouse that Gawl stumbles into?

Episode 3-Curiosity
    1. What types of generators has Gawl encountered by the end of this episode (hint: you'll need to watch the dub for this one)?
    2. What kind of scholarship is Gawl supposedly on?
    3. How long does Masami say she'll keep Gawl's "secret"?

Bonus Questions
    Name two of the English voice actors/actresses in Generator Gawl, and one other main character they've done in another anime (extra points if you get the two I'm thinking of).
    What's funny about Masami's line to Ryo "You're lousy at creating fighters" when she beats him at a video game?

Good luck and no cheating!
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime of the Month Nov. 2006-Generator Gawl

Sorry gren, doesn't seem this one got much action...I hate it too, it was a good view.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anime of the Month Nov. 2006-Generator Gawl

Yeah, I had a feeling that this wasn't going anywhere. Oh well, I tried.
    sig by Pyro Psycho