Thread: Feature of the Month (Jan. 2007)

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Feature of the Month (Jan. 2007)

Since this is the very first Feature of the Month, I'll start with the rules:

Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer

This is similar to the Anime of the Month; it is "Cold Shot" or "Feature of the Month." Basically I will pick a member of the clan (to begin with, the member chosen will pick the next member and so on) to have to do the "Cold Shot" or "Feature of the Month” and what that member will be required to do is pick anything related to anime and post a "report on it" by the beginning of the month, sort of like a feature on the product that will make people aware of it!

This can be a anime (series, title, ova, movie, particular episode, etc...), manga, animator, composer, CD, song, voice actor, publisher, ANYTHING as long as it relates to anime. The report you have to give is 3 parts:

1) Synopsis of series or Background on the song, artist, publisher, etc....
    (This is so we can know something about the thing you are featuring)

2) Your take on it (be detailed, I don't want to see "it is the coolest ever" )

3) Rating
    (The scale is up to you as long as we know "x" of how many they got on your scale, 5/10 for example. Also you will need to rate many aspects of the thing you are featuring. If it is a song, rate the overall, the style, effectiveness, how well it fits the series, etc....

You maybe wondering why I have 2 names for it. This is because the feature doesn't have to be good! If it is good, call it "Feature of the Month" if it is poor then in the immortal words of Stevie Ray Vaughn "that is a Cold Shot baby!"
    Now that the formalities are out of the way, the January 2007 Feature of the Month is...Yoko Kanno!

Attachment 416
    From Yoko Kanno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachment 417
    From Bebop.Ru - Êîâáîé Áèáîï

DOB: March 19, 1964 (Miyagi, Japan)

Composer of anime, television and film soundtracks, Yoko Kanno is considered to be an eccentric musical genius. Her anime credits include the GITS: Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop (she was the inspiration for Ed's character, which was originally meant to be a boy), and Escaflowne soundtracks, and her works range from classical to jazz to soft pop to rock, often all in the same album. Kanno's official recorded works date back to 1986, beginning with a single track composed for the band Tetsu 100%'s album, Tokyo Taco Blues. Kanno collaborates frequently with several artists, including Maaya Sakamoto, Akino Arai, Steve Conte, and Gabriela Robin (who is actually Kanno herself, if the rumours are true). So far, the most complete and up-to-date discography I've found for Yoko Kanno is here:

Translated version of http://dodue.free.fr/ykw/disco/tetsu/tetsutetsu.htm

I became of fan of Kanno after hearing her work with the Seatbelts (her former band) and others on the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. Most of it is energetic and fun, but there's also tracks that are soft and soothing, and others so hauntingly sad. From there, it was Wolf's Rain and GITS, two great shows whose soundtracks almost outdo the animation and story. Recently, I've aquired more of Kanno's non-anime work, like 23 Ji no Ongaku ("The Other Side of Midnight", a Japanese TV show), Ashurajo no Hitomi ("Blood Gets in Your Eyes", a movie) and Song to Fly (Kanno's first album that is not connected to a show).

Gren's collective rating for YK's music: 9/10. I didn't really care for the Genesis of Aquarion or Memories soundtracks, and some of her earlier works are hit-or-miss, but she's created so many great pieces on so many albums, everyone should be able to find the majority of her music enjoyable.

Links for more info:
    The Yoko Kanno Project
    Yoko Kanno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yoko Kanno Database_
    Last edited by gren; Jan 06, 2007 at 11:19 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Gods_Dragon may be famous one day Gods_Dragon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Feature of the Month (Jan. 2007)

I checked out the artist (using the link gren provided). The music is pretty good, I listened to the track "Live in Baghdad" and it was better than I expected. It almost sounds like punk mixed with rock. Since that's right up my alley, I must say I enjoyed it. I'm going to check her out some more. Oh, I have the link to the song I listened to it's: http://dodue.free.fr/ykw/musique/nodisc5.mp3
    Based off of what I've seen so far, I'll give her a 7/10. Great job Gren, you provided plenty of detail and links (so we can check it out). It's going to take me a little while to find out more about her & her music, but at least I have the links to do it.

Thanks for the avatar & sig Rave_Grip you rock!
    There is but one judge...
    ~Stay blessed

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Feature of the Month (Jan. 2007)

I'm glad you liked Kanno's work. I prefer her instrumental pieces (a good string section makes a song for me), but she's one of the few artists whose can make great music in any genre.
    Last edited by gren; Jan 09, 2007 at 04:17 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku DEMON SPAWN may be famous one day DEMON SPAWN may be famous one day DEMON SPAWN's Avatar
    Thanks

I love all of yoko kanno's work especially inner universe the ghost in the shell opening theme

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON SPAWN View Post
    I love all of yoko kanno's work especially inner universe the ghost in the shell opening theme
    You'd also like "player" sung by Origa (with an odd rap portion in the middle of the song by the Heartsdales) from the GITS Solid State Society soundtrack. It's pretty similar in style, with a little more intensity.
    sig by Pyro Psycho