+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100 Bullets

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

100 Bullets

As usual, I'm late to the party...this comic book (*cough* sorry, graphic novel) series was first released in August of 1999, with a planned 100 issues (volume 12 containing issues 84-88 set to be released in September of this year, and the final volume of issues 89-100 is yet to be announced).

I noticed this series about a month ago on Amazon, the name instantly caught my eye. After reading the synopsis and all the positive reviews, I decided to give it a try. Well, now I'm hooked, currently finished volume 9, planning to pick up 10 and 11 after payday, and wait eagerly for 12 and 13. The feel of "100 Bullets" is classic noir...a host of shady characters, a secret organization, sex, blood and revenge. To give you an idea of the story, the first tale is of one Isabelle "Dizzy" Cordova, a Chicago homegirl freshly sprung from prison and dealing with the deaths of her husband and son while inside. As she tries in vain to settle back into some semblance of her old life, a man appears to her, and offers her a simple looking briefcase. Inside are a gun, 100 untraceable rounds of ammunition, and the identity of her husband and son's killers, along with undeniable proof of the crime. What he gives her is the chance for revenge, free and clear; should she decide to take it she will never be punished for it or even suspected. Those who wronged her will pay, the lives lost will be avenged, and all will once again be right with the world. Unfortunately nothing is ever that simple...

100 Bullets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The artwork is wonderful, perfectly creating the dark and hazy world that "100 Bullets" wants to convey. And while the first few tales seem connected only by the briefcase, taking place in different geographical areas and concerning individuals whose lives couldn't be more different other than that they've been horribly wronged in some way, the real story slowly begins to take shape and put the pieces together into a bigger, even more intense one of vengeance and betrayal. I have to say though, even if it remained a sort of disjointed collection of separate stories, I don't think I'd enjoy it any less; the most interesting part is seeing who gets the briefcase next, what their tale of woe is, and who ruined their lives enough to warrant a bullet through the head.

So anyone else digging this series as much as I am? Any thoughts, things you love about it, things you don't, what you think or hope will happen as the series winds to a close?
    Last edited by gren; Jun 08, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 100 Bullets

I have read a few of them... they are ok I think... but its a little silly haveing so many times of people doing revenge that it get boreing after a while... and its a same basic plot over and over... a person with alot of amo and a person to kill... most of the time they kill the person... jeez... what has this world come to...

oh ok I see now about it being like most books... nothing to much in the begining but alot in the mittle and end... *sigh* now to start over on the series... oh well...
    Last edited by basilisk888; Jun 08, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
    death and life are one and the same

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 100 Bullets

True, if you only make it through a few of the issues, it does seem like the same thing over and over, like a random collection of individual stories. But mid-series you start to see the big picture and get at least partial answers...why this man handing out free-range revenge, and why the individuals who receive this opportunity are chosen among the hundreds, maybe thousands of people in the world who have every right to seek payback. You also start to see characters who are more than just their little part of the story, they serve some purpose to that big picture.

Still, even as short tales of revenge, it's interesting to see what led each person to the point of deserving a briefcase full of bullets, and just who deserves to be on the receiving end of those bullets. I think Azzarello was feeling his way through in the first few issues, which would explain the feeling of disconnect and repetitiveness in the plot.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread