+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aion vs Age of Conan

Newbie Remagine is off to a good start Remagine's Avatar
    Thanks

Aion vs Age of Conan

Aion and Age of Conan are two next generation MMORPG's wich will be coming out sometime during this year hopefully.
    While Aion is more of a fantasy world, Age of Conan focuses on the original brute/harsh worlds as decribed in the books, comics etc.

So with the launch of both of these highly anticipated mmo's coming closer and closer, i'd thought that it would be a nice idea to start a thread to discuss the pro's and con's.

Have you heard of either of these games? What do you think of them?
    Do you like/dislike theyre concept and why so? Is there anything specific that appeals to you?

Aion
    Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures

Newbie Mortacxo is off to a good start Mortacxo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aion vs Age of Conan

Cheers good thread, i personally would pic Aion, tho i'm not opposing AoC, both got good points. Tho i prefer the fantasy world before the harsh "reality of conan" =).

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

I've been following Age of Conan for quite a while now, and while I've not quite decided if I'll be jumping on board with it, it has me very impressed. Not only are the graphics very perty(DirectX 10 at work here), but the fact that it is going for a more mature tone is awesome. We need more variety in the genre, and I think this is one way it can differentiate itself from WoW(Let's be honest, every MMO has to differentiate from this mammoth to garner any attention at all, because it will always be used as a measuring stick for comparison). Another thing that Hyborian Adventures has going for it is the rather neat player city building concept, which should be very interesting to see in motion.

I haven't heard a lot about Aion, except that it is using the CryEngine 2 that was used to make Crysis. Coming from NCsoft though, it should be pretty good, although it currently isn't on my radar. Are there any distinguishing features about it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I've been following Age of Conan for quite a while now, and while I've not quite decided if I'll be jumping on board with it, it has me very impressed. Not only are the graphics very perty(DirectX 10 at work here), but the fact that it is going for a more mature tone is awesome. We need more variety in the genre, and I think this is one way it can differentiate itself from WoW(Let's be honest, every MMO has to differentiate from this mammoth to garner any attention at all, because it will always be used as a measuring stick for comparison). Another thing that Hyborian Adventures has going for it is the rather neat player city building concept, which should be very interesting to see in motion.

I haven't heard a lot about Aion, except that it is using the CryEngine 2 that was used to make Crysis. Coming from NCsoft though, it should be pretty good, although it currently isn't on my radar. Are there any distinguishing features about it?
    A phew things i remember on a whim; Aerial combat, siege warfare, player owned teritory, , pets evolve in stages, everyone gets to fly early in the game, huge support for both pvp and pve, wicked magic and such. a surreal upside-downish world and hence more surreal environments from what ive understood so far. and all the usual cut-scenes etc that are making an appearance in AoC, Wotl and others these days.

If you'd like to know more i'd suggest watching a bunch of trailers of both games at something like gametrailers or simply googling a bit.
    Last edited by Remagine; Apr 04, 2008 at 12:59 PM.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

All it took for me was a couple of looks at a few gameplay videos of Age of Conan to know that nothing is to be expected of it. The gameplay looks so horrible slow and boring, meanwhile the players slide around like they're playing Dance Dance Revolution.

I don't deny the fact that so many people have been looking for a new MMO to play other than WoW, but Age of Conan isn't it. I'm sure AoC will have loyalists, but it will be a bust just like every MMO in recent years. WoW is actually fun, and other companies shouldn't so much differentiate themselves from WoW, rather than try to get ides from it. WoW isn't perfect, but there's a reason for 10 million subscribers.

I'm actually more excited for Aion than AoC. Though I'll just let a friend of mine waste his money on the game and then try it out at his house.

You could also make the argument that the Warhammer MMO coming out soon might be the real killer.

Newbie Mortacxo is off to a good start Mortacxo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverskater145 View Post
    All it took for me was a couple of looks at a few gameplay videos of Age of Conan to know that nothing is to be expected of it. The gameplay looks so horrible slow and boring, meanwhile the players slide around like they're playing Dance Dance Revolution.

I don't deny the fact that so many people have been looking for a new MMO to play other than WoW, but Age of Conan isn't it. I'm sure AoC will have loyalists, but it will be a bust just like every MMO in recent years. WoW is actually fun, and other companies shouldn't so much differentiate themselves from WoW, rather than try to get ides from it. WoW isn't perfect, but there's a reason for 10 million subscribers.

I'm actually more excited for Aion than AoC. Though I'll just let a friend of mine waste his money on the game and then try it out at his house.

You could also make the argument that the Warhammer MMO coming out soon might be the real killer.

Sry i promised my friend Remagine to kill the person who suggests Warhammer MMO, can't be helped sry! *chops of head in conan style* :P

No but seriosly, its about Aion and AoC here so please stick with it =)
    Although i understand warhammer will come at the same time i think it actually looks dull in all the screenies from the game. I'm not a fan of it tho... Omg im talking about it now... shame on me! *chops head*

Aion is more of the fantasy world we dream of, both nightmares and good dreams. Tho if it lives up to all this hype that's another question . I can say that Conan and Aion will prob recive equal amount of players at a start rly, then ppl will notice and make changes etc to what they find more intresting.. who knows they might steal from eachother. I'd rather see the game Aion taken to the next level than Conan, since Conan is more fantasy enviormentally realistic, and Aion the unrealistic dream world. The actual Lore in Aion is incredibly solid too. Read for yourselves go go wikipediaaa...

Cheers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mortacxo View Post
    Sry i promised my friend Remagine to kill the person who suggests Warhammer MMO, can't be helped sry! *chops of head in conan style* :P

No but seriosly, its about Aion and AoC here so please stick with it =)
    Although i understand warhammer will come at the same time i think it actually looks dull in all the screenies from the game. I'm not a fan of it tho... Omg im talking about it now... shame on me! *chops head*
    =O......xD

If theres enough intrest among the forum members ill alter the topic a bit to include warhammer, personally i think that game is overhyped tho.
    Having people look into and form an oppinion of its opponents might broaden theyre perspective a bit.

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

A phew things i remember on a whim; Aerial combat, siege warfare, player owned teritory, , pets evolve in stages, everyone gets to fly early in the game, huge support for both pvp and pve, wicked magic and such. a surreal upside-downish world and hence more surreal environments from what ive understood so far. and all the usual cut-scenes etc that are making an appearance in AoC, Wotl and others these days.
    Ooh, I like the idea of flight, I does! Assuming it has an awesome draw distance, I could ressurect my open world hobby of going to really high places, just to see how far I can see.

...it's fun, I swear!

I'm sure AoC will have loyalists, but it will be a bust just like every MMO in recent years.
    I would tend to agree with that, it seems like a rather niche game, so I wouldn't expect it to be massively popular.

I'm not expecting much out of Warhammer personally. It will probably appeal to Warhammer fans, but given the subscription fee, I think most other people will look elsewhere. I'm reading the overview on Mythic's website, but it doesn't sound like anything particularly new, or outstanding. Realm vs Realm alone might not be worth the price of admission, and it certainly sounds like it's the big feature they are touting for the game.

So I'm actually liking the look of Aion now, on a side note. Although with University coming up, mayhaps I won't be able to fund a new MMO addiction. Curses be to ye, subscription fees! Maybe I'll have to hold out for Guild Wars 2....
    Last edited by Luminous; Apr 05, 2008 at 04:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread