Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are American cartoons getting lame to you?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Are American cartoons getting lame to you?

"It's scientificly proven that leprechauns are coming out tonight!" That's the cheesy line that woke me from my slumber one morning... (The Littles, I believe is the name of the cartoon from hell when I heard that stupid s***)

My question is: Are Americans not trying hard enough to entertain our kids? Or are children these days just easily amused by what's on the television? (I'm not talking about any kids here, just kids in general--much younger than most people here)

It's been bothering me for months now, because if it's not on Cartoon Network, and it's American made--I don't care if it's animated in Korea--it's steaming hot summer garbage!

What do you think?

Newbie Angeling is off to a good start Angeling's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are American cartoons getting lame to you?

I think it's a bit of both.
    In general, it's not that difficult to amuse the young audience.
    And cartoons that are made outside of Cartoon Network, Nicklelodeon, and Disney tend to be...cheap and not well thought out.
    I've never seen or head of The Littles, I had to google it and it looks pretty bad in my opinion. :x

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

...cartoons definitely aren't what they used to be...

I remember my Saturday morning line-ups as well as my Friday night line ups... and who can forget those random weekday school-hours ones?

... *sigh* There was a time when I watched animes and American cartoons just the same ( no one seems to remember Samurai Pizza Cats or when Ronin Warriors first came out for some strange reason... and did no one watch Anime Saturdays on the Sci Fi channel during the 90s? )... American cartoons are starting to really suck.
    Including the ones on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, AND Disney!
    (Even children shows suck... trust me, I still watch them from time to time)

Don't go into denial, they are starting to really suck.

It's the change of company managers and how people are selling-out... look, stupid and lame things DO attract kids these days.
    No kid's attracted to the learning adventures of the Magic School Bus anymore... all they're concerned about is high-pitched-annoying voices that repeat things over and over, and an annoying map-song......... (I ain't dissin Dora the Explorer, the map song just gets tiring)

... *sigh* Poor American cartoons... how I miss the classics.

EDIT:

Abu Dhabi says: YAY! this is Soshi's 1,000th post! YAY! ::clap clap::

Newbie sisqo is off to a good start sisqo's Avatar
    Thanks

never did like american cartoons or anime, their ver lame compared to japanese anime

Thanx Ky-lyrra

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sisqo View Post
    never did like american cartoons or anime, their ver lame compared to japanese anime
    American anime does not exist.

Newbie Angeling is off to a good start Angeling's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, there have been some imitations of anime by americans
    maybe that's what he means
    "You have the face of an Angel"

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

I think what Hassun means is that the generally accepted definition of anime is animated works that are Japanese in origin; hence, American animation doesn't qualify.

From Wikipedia:
    Definition

Linguistically, the anime definition is subject to interpretation. In Japan, the term does not specify an animation's nation of origin or style; instead, it is used as a blanket term to refer to all forms of animation from around the world.[5] In English, main dictionary sources define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or "a style of animation developed in Japan".[6] Thus, non-Japanese works are sometimes called anime-influenced animation if they borrow stylistically from Japanese animation.

In western countries the word is used usually only to refer to animated programming of Japanese origin, with the term "cartoon" or "animated series" used for most other visual styles. The online anime database AniDB generally defines anime (in the singular form) as "an animated, professionally produced, feature film created by a Japanese company for the Japanese market".[5] However, some anime are co-productions with non-Japanese companies like the Cartoon Network. Thus, anime is no longer specific to the Japanese market.
    Anyway, I think animation in America is thought of as something for kids, and the companies that produce them follow along that line. There are a couple of great American animated series aimed at adults (new Futurama coming in 2008!!!), but most of it's made for children with short attention spans who like pretty colors.
    Last edited by gren; Jun 05, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

umm, newsflash? Kids will laugh if a pink monkey jumps out of a ketchup bottle and says "poop." You're an adult, that kind of junk isn't going to entertain like it did back when you were 8. Kids don't watch cartoons like adults do, I can remember that I would watch the same show over and over again, and never get bored of it. Once I got older, all the shows I used to love were gone, and they get replaced, and before you know it, you don't recognize any cartoons anymore. I grew up with Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd, n' Eddy, Dexter's Lab, Power Puff Girls, etc., but even now the line up is different. Cartoons haven't gotten any lamer, you're just getting older.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast