+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best handheld/console?

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Best handheld/console?

I have owned quite a handful but so far the good old Game Boy "Jumbo" (as i would like to call it) and the Playstation are still the best ones in my book.

Let's face it, technology moves fast, the consoles and handhels of today could simply outmatch the older ones in terms of their technical capabilities...But back in the day when the "old" stuff were still "new" they ruled the gaming scene and they played a key part in setting the standards for the next generation of consoles and handhelds.

The Nintendo Game Boy is a gaming juggernaut, it wasn't the first handheld to appear in the market but it hogged the handheld spotlight for more than a decade. GB had its own share of rivals like the colored Sega Game Gear but the GB with its massive game library and monochromatic visuals simply trampled its rivals underfoot. The Game Boy spawned a whole line of gaming devices, the Game Boys Pocket and Color were released but the classic Game Boy remained the favorite of a lot of consumers and gamers alike. The Game Boy relinquished its throne once the Game Boy Advance was released, but GBA and its predecessor GBA SP never perched as high on the tree of success.

Just look at the long line of quality games that the classic Game Boy has to offer, Pokemon Red and Blue, Tetris, the Mario Games, Super Robot Taisen, the list goes on and on...

Playstation on the other hand was a quantum leap in gaming, it offered things that were a mere " visual wet dream" of gamers and consumers back then. Sega Saturn, also a 32-bit machine was released a few days earlier than the Playstation but the competition would not last too long and the PS would prove to be the more dominant machine in the months that followed. Not only was it capable of providing the sweetest eye candies in its day but it also had a massive library of games, it played music CDs, it played Video CDs, it was a multimedia machine.

My Playstation was bundled with 20 great games when i bought it during my elementary years, some of those games are Final Fantasy 7 (a great game which i would eventually criticize a lot as i grew older), Bomberman, and some notable few. I have a lot of great memories with my PS, some of my favorite games are native to that console.

Technologically speaking, i could say that i do agree with the guys mentioning the cutting edge stuff...But as far as being a gamer goes, having a new console or a handheld doesn't guarantee me a better gaming machine and a better gaming experience.

*Hantei16 also owns the predecessors of the Playstation namely PS2, PS3, and the PSP. Besides the Game Boy Jumbo he also owns a now-battery-drained GBA SP and a DS. He still considers his PS and GB as the best ones ever.
    Last edited by Hantei16; Jul 29, 2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add ups

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

The best console is the Atari 2600 it started it all, and got Ralph Baer on the gaming map. Every classic game and game of today would not be here if it wasn;t for Ralph Baer's technology.

Best handheld is the original gameboy. if it wasn't for that, there would be no DS or PSP.
    Why hello there!

Newbie McMahan is off to a good start McMahan's Avatar
    Thanks

360 is my thing i have always worked with Microsoft no matter what they make i usually get it. Im not a real big Sony fan besides their TV's thats about the only thing i like. But to me the 360 has better graphics less bugs to work out and also better games.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McMahan For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Aug 01, 2008)

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    I have owned quite a handful but so far the good old Game Boy "Jumbo" (as i would like to call it) and the Playstation are still the best ones in my book.
    Wow, man! You're kickin' it old school!! LOL.

I remember the giant cinder block called the GameBoy which only had one color--green--and a dozen shades of black/grey. Yeah, it was revolutionary, yes it was/is fun; but you can't do jack with it now!! And PSone... Dude, you DO know you can buy a PS3 or PSP and just download PSone games and play it on either console, right?

There's a time in every man/woman's life when you have to make sacrifice, suck up the fact that your beloved belongings are a thing of the past and start making steps toward the future. Example: BUY A FRIGGIN' NEXT GEN ALREADY!!! I'm still rockin' the old hardware, I play it from time to time, but I update, man! If I'm gonna keep all my old school equipment, I'm gonna at least get some friends for it! Y'know some younger consoles my NES can sit back and tell stories to like, "When I was your age, we only had a D-Pad and two buttons, and we could only move on a set course! None of that free exploration sh*t like you youngin's have now! We had to work for our high score!" LOL.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

@atomik_sprout

Ah, yes. Nowadays most of my favorite PS games are stored in my PSP, the PSP doesn't really offer a WIDE array of games to choose from anyway unless you include the whole PS library. My PSP is literally a Playstation Portable. I haven't stored older games on my PS3yet but i'm planning to import Monster Ranchers 1 and 2 one of these days.

...My previous post pretty much explains everything else.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    @atomik_sprout

Ah, yes. Nowadays most of my favorite PS games are stored in my PSP, the PSP doesn't really offer a WIDE array of games to choose from anyway unless you include the whole PS library. My PSP is literally a Playstation Portable. I haven't stored older games on my PS3yet but i'm planning to import Monster Ranchers 1 and 2 one of these days.

...My previous post pretty much explains everything else.
    Aaah! That's different, LOL. That's what I do with my PSP. (I'm still tryin' to score a PS3).

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

I do the same thing with my PSP. There just aren't that many great games for the PSP. I found alot of the better RPGs and anime based games are only in Japan. Like 3 Gundam games that we will never see in the states. So I just have a few PS games around (currently started Megaman Legends). And no one can say that its wrong anyway. Sony added the PS game compatibility to the system.

Anyway, I also believe that just because a system didn't have the technology or the sale numbers to be considered great, doesn't mean that it didn't contribute to the large scheme of things. Like Sega Genesis, it couldn't match the game selection or sales of SNES but it introduced Sonic to the world. And Sonic has become quite the game icon. In the end all the systems have something great to offer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solking View Post
    I do the same thing with my PSP. There just aren't that many great games for the PSP. I found alot of the better RPGs and anime based games are only in Japan. Like 3 Gundam games that we will never see in the states. So I just have a few PS games around (currently started Megaman Legends). And no one can say that its wrong anyway. Sony added the PS game compatibility to the system.

Anyway, I also believe that just because a system didn't have the technology or the sale numbers to be considered great, doesn't mean that it didn't contribute to the large scheme of things. Like Sega Genesis, it couldn't match the game selection or sales of SNES but it introduced Sonic to the world. And Sonic has become quite the game icon. In the end all the systems have something great to offer.

Yeah, it's just too bad that Sonic had to go to Nintendo. It's like prison for him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast