+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Books to movies to games.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Books to movies to games.

Ok, so lately there have been allot of these perversive minglings between franchises hitting shelves and theaters everywhere and I want to know what you think about it. If you could please name any book-to-movie-to-games (or in any order) you have seen and what you thought about them compared to their originals and why (i.e original book to movie) I would be happy to read them and even if you haven't seen, read, or played any alternatives to the originals feel free to share your insight on what they might be like.

To begin with, I haven't really cared to check out any of these alternate forms of books/movies/games becuase I assume it's going to suck, but I have seen a few that left me satisfied.

Harry Potter: So far I've read all the books, seen all the movies and played only one of the games, which both I loved, but the movies could have been better. The game that I played was for the PS1 and was based on the first book, and it was pretty damn good. It got allot of the storyline in and had pretty good gameplay and high replay value, I haven't cared to check out any other of the Harry Potter games, though.

Eragon: I've read all the books, and loved them. But the game and movie to me looks like it's going to be absolute poop. It doesn't look like the characters fit their roles very well (from what I've imagined of their appearances). I've seen a few shots of the game and some videos and it still looks terrible, bassically a clone of the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King gameplay style.

Lord of the Rings: Read all the books, seen all the movies and played the Lord of the Rings: Two Towers and Return of the King games and loved them all. Although the games seem to skew the storyline they nail the gameplay pretty well. The movies were very good compared to the books, I loved the visuals and how the actors fit their roles; they were almost exactly as I had imagined them.

NightWatch: Great book! Easily rubs shoulders with the cleverness and detail of Lord of the Rings. Sadly the movie was terrible. It was very obvious that the movie had a very low budget. They cut and skewed just about every aspect of the storyline, and the characters were poorly fitted for their roles. There also seems to be a Night Watch game in the works. I read up on it in Game Informer and it looks terrible.

- Edit.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Dec 02, 2006 at 11:50 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Books to movies to games.

In my opinion the only real good book to movie was Lord of the Rings. Brillant! Games probably weren't has good, but I love killing things and the action so it was ok lol

Harry Potter was bad. Ok, the first movie was ok. But the rest were terrible. I think that they missed things out that they should have put in. I know it's hard to put

Eargon- well I just watched the trailer. I guess if you forget about the book, it looks like a great fantasy movie. But me, almost finished the first book and loving it - it looks like they have changed alot

EDIT: I just remember another book to movie that I liked! Timeline was also really good - almost exactly followed the book!

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Usually when they turn a book into a movie they ruin the storyline because they can't put everything into 2 to 2 and a half hours. A lot of them are disappointing. I don't read many books so I wouldn't be able to compare any. My nephew has read most of the books and saids that the movies weren't made right. The movies that come out the worst are made from the most detailed of books. They can't cover all the details and always leave out an important part or two.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    DarkWatch: Great book! Easily rubs shoulders with the cleverness and detail of Lord of the Rings. Sadly the movie was terrible. It was very obvious that the movie had a very low budget. They cut and skewed just about every aspect of the storyline, and the characters were poorly fitted for their roles. There also seems to be a Darkwatch game in the works named "NightWatch". This game is obviously going to suck the big one, if they can't even keep the original name what's there to make me think they're going to go along with anything in the book?
    Darkwatch is a shooting game with vampires in the old west. (Great game btw.)

Night Watch is the first part of a novel series written by Sergey Lukyanenko.
    Night Watch has been made into a film called Night Watch.
    There is a sequel planned. Logically the sequel is about the next book in the series called Day Watch.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Darkwatch is a shooting game with vampires in the old west. (Great game btw.)

Night Watch is the first part of a novel series written by Sergey Lukyanenko.
    Night Watch has been made into a film called Night Watch.
    There is a sequel planned. Logically the sequel is about the next book in the series called Day Watch.
    Lol, excuse my retardedness. When I read your post I thought, "it's not called Night Watch, is it?" and to my suprise when I dug through my old books and found it it was called Night Watch. For some reason I had always thought it was called Dark Watch because that was the organizating Anton was with, silly me.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing that's worse than a book to movie to game, is a game to movie to book. Admittingly, I did enjoy LOTR, perhaps the ONLY decent book to movie I have ever seen, only because it was well done and had very good actors. (their games are subpar at best.) However, Harry Potter movies are not all that great, (even though I see them in theatres anyway), and their games are flat out terrible. The Davinci Code is another recent failure, spectacular thriller in print, but the actors just couldn't do it justice, and I laugh at any fool who actually purchased the game. Can't always depict great literature is the moral of the story, but that's never going to stop hollywood from trying.

Newbie Chris The Anime Guy may be famous one day Chris The Anime Guy may be famous one day
    Thanks

Most of the time when books are made into movies and into games, it very rarely will be good. Like Dark said before me, LOTR was good from book to movie but alot of the games have been fairly weak. It can be applied to comics to movies and to games aswell. Although thats mostly comics to games to movies. But the thing with people making movies is they always try to make it slightly different. Either to appeal to a different and newer audience or to try and show fans something new. However, 9 times outta 10 it annoys the fans!

Hell Enforcer George Wants Beer Champion, Monkey Cliff Diving Champion, Tilt 2 Champion hellknight may be famous one day hellknight may be famous one day hellknight's Avatar
    Thanks

o yeah first their was harry potter then turned to movie then turned to game, its awkward that they do it to brother's in arms too, thats a good game

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast