+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Borderlands

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Borderlands

I play it once in a while. It's hard to convince Abu to play violent shooters, even if it's cel-shadedly cartoonish.

It's coo, but I have two problems with it: It gives a taste of MMOs, and I have no problem with that, but it has two things that are disappointing with the idea of MMOs:

1) It's almost MMO-ish. The missions can get repetitive as you have to revisit areas, but it's not completely repetitive. So why in the world would I want it to be as repetitive as an MMO? Because that repetition is what makes MMOs fun to play with friends... hundreds of enemies out in an open field that respawn fairly quickly, and you have to constantly kill them in order to gather enough of their drops to finish a mission/create an item, or perhaps there's only a certain percentage that they drop a certain item that makes them popular for team-hunts.
    ...Borderlands hardly does that. And that's one of the things I love most about team-played MMOs, as a lot of strange conversations and casual jests happen most when you attach yourselves to "favorite hunting spots" and "favorite enemies" or even "favorite ways to kill certain enemies".
    ...not so much so with Borderlands.

2) Customization is rather pathetic. Other than choosing between a variety of weapons and skills, the rest of the customization is depressing... I mean, seriously, slight color deviations? The colors are nice and all, but it's so... blah in choices. I mean, if you can't choose between costumes, they could at least let you specifically color certain parts of the body other than just "A, B, or C". :/ ....I'm sorry, I associate MMOs with huge customizations.

I understand, it isn't an MMO. It's an RPG-skill leveler, but just the tiny scent of MMO-ness makes me itchy for all these ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. And so far I've been switching between all the characters, realizing that Sirens are great solo-ers and it's really awesome to light enemies up on fire. I'm a Hunter, mostly. Snipin' is always satisfyin'.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been playing Sniper. Leveling up and playing through solo mostly at least until I get to lvl 50. If you wanna play online though, just PM me for my gamertag. I'd like more PvP from the game though, but who am I to say that, I haven't even tried out the arena yet.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Arena's coo. Pretty fun. I prefer open duels.
    Smack 'em in the face and have at each other!
    All the while worryin' 'bout enemies joining the fray.

The arena's nice though... you don't waste ammo there.
    And it's nice to have it organized instead of the chaos.

But I like that chaos most times.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, dang. I totally would add you, but I've got a PS3. xD I don't have anything against X-box players, though. Just saying ahead of time. But, as far as I can tell, I'll be getting this game by Saturday at the very latest. I plan to go either as Mordecai (Sniper) or Roland (Soldier) first. I also planned for my skill tree to make something along the lines of Extremely powerful and armor piercing sniper rifles/pistols with high ammo capacity and quick reloading if I choose Mordecai as my main. Can't say I'm digging the crazy bird he's carrying too much, except for the extra loot skills.

...Also, my friends still constantly taunt me with their absurd weapon combos. One of my friends has a semi-automatic shotgun type weapon that shoots rockets. I. Want. This. Game. And I seriously don't know what's stopping me. xD
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Thanks

The bird is REALLY useful.

Low on ammo? Surrounded by enemies?
    The bird picks off the weak ones so you have less bullets heading your way.
    It's like a homing grenade that hits only one person.

Not to mention... if you've got any crazies with a grenade heading your way and you don't trust your next shot to take him down/stun him: Send in the bird.
    Or even better: Low on health? Send in the bird and PRAY you get a health drop. Chances are, you'll find one.

In a way, I find the bird more useful than the turret... the turret can only aim forward. Instant an enemy gets behind it (and you're low on health), you're practically dead if the turret doesn't heal you in time.

Trust me, my bird's a LIFE SAVER. Got a problem: Give 'em the bird!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark angel swordsman View Post
    Oh, how much I want this now! I've been torn between this or the new Ratchet & Clank game, but it's leaning towards this since all my PS3 buddies are bugging me to get it. Ahhhh, I want it now. I've been anticipating it for like months....

...You may have been the deciding factor here. I think Ratchet's gonna have to wait. The graphics and humor and so many guns shall blow my mind!

...Just like on the cover. xD
    I seen a few screenshots of the new Ratchet & Clank game. It looks pretty sweet. I'd be kinda torn between the two as well, if I owned a PS3. I just have my PSP account and a couple sub-accounts to use on several PS3s owned by my friends/family.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    I've been playing this game like non-stop.Though not much online (only with a few friends not with anons), I wanna max out a character to see what lvl 50ing is all about.
    I don't think I'll hit a high level anytime soon. But, at least I'll get to enjoy playing and leveling up whenever I go to my brother's house, so that's nice.

I really hope that my other friends will buy it, but that's wishful thinking. All my friends play different genres of PS3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    I play it once in a while. It's hard to convince Abu to play violent shooters, even if it's cel-shadedly cartoonish.

It's coo, but I have two problems with it: It gives a taste of MMOs, and I have no problem with that, but it has two things that are disappointing with the idea of MMOs:

1) It's almost MMO-ish. The missions can get repetitive as you have to revisit areas, but it's not completely repetitive. So why in the world would I want it to be as repetitive as an MMO? Because that repetition is what makes MMOs fun to play with friends... hundreds of enemies out in an open field that respawn fairly quickly, and you have to constantly kill them in order to gather enough of their drops to finish a mission/create an item, or perhaps there's only a certain percentage that they drop a certain item that makes them popular for team-hunts.
    ...Borderlands hardly does that. And that's one of the things I love most about team-played MMOs, as a lot of strange conversations and casual jests happen most when you attach yourselves to "favorite hunting spots" and "favorite enemies" or even "favorite ways to kill certain enemies".
    ...not so much so with Borderlands.

2) Customization is rather pathetic. Other than choosing between a variety of weapons and skills, the rest of the customization is depressing... I mean, seriously, slight color deviations? The colors are nice and all, but it's so... blah in choices. I mean, if you can't choose between costumes, they could at least let you specifically color certain parts of the body other than just "A, B, or C". :/ ....I'm sorry, I associate MMOs with huge customizations.

I understand, it isn't an MMO. It's an RPG-skill leveler, but just the tiny scent of MMO-ness makes me itchy for all these ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. And so far I've been switching between all the characters, realizing that Sirens are great solo-ers and it's really awesome to light enemies up on fire. I'm a Hunter, mostly. Snipin' is always satisfyin'.
    I feel ya. Even on split-screen, it feels very MMOish. I also agree with you about the lack things you can do to customize your character. It's too limited. I can't really complain about the colors, really. Green is my favorite color and it's already a pretty plain color as it is; yet, it provided me with some decent shades of green and tan, so I can live with that.

I'm kinda annoyed by 'Clap Trap', but his name is hilarious. The gameplay is still sweet, but I'm glad that I don't live with my brother, otherwise I'd blow through that game and find the repetitiveness to overwhelm me.

Still a great game though, despite it's attempt to do too much, yet providing only a little.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny you'd mention that now, Atomik, after playing the Demo for Ratchet & Clank future off my Playstation today, I'm completely torn between the two. Though I only got a hands-on of Ratchet(Which I adore the series; been playing since the very beginning), the prospect of Borderlands with my two favorite game genres and such a concept of all the amazing weapons and characters and missions is just...Ah, man. I really wish I had the money for both, but I've only got enough for maybe One and a couple discount games. (Maybe $90 at the moment?) Oh, it's not fair.

Also, to stray more on-topic, I heard the achievements/trophies are fairly easy to obtain within the game. Is this true?
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark angel swordsman View Post
    Funny you'd mention that now, Atomik, after playing the Demo for Ratchet & Clank future off my Playstation today, I'm completely torn between the two. Though I only got a hands-on of Ratchet(Which I adore the series; been playing since the very beginning), the prospect of Borderlands with my two favorite game genres and such a concept of all the amazing weapons and characters and missions is just...Ah, man. I really wish I had the money for both, but I've only got enough for maybe One and a couple discount games. (Maybe $90 at the moment?) Oh, it's not fair.

Also, to stray more on-topic, I heard the achievements/trophies are fairly easy to obtain within the game. Is this true?
    1. This may help you on your choice:
    Spend $80 on games at Amazon, get $40 in credit

2. The achievements are pretty easy to get, nothing nigh-on impossible to achieve, but the game has several "in-game achievements-achievements" as well... meaning it's some challenges you complete in the game, get a message saying you got it, but you don't get an achievement/trophy until you do an exaggerated form of it.
    ...not as satisfying as an achievement/trophy, though. ... I like to look through my achievements/trophies just to see the pictures and read the descriptions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast