+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dare to be...mainstream?

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Dare to be...mainstream?

Occasionally, I find myself drawn to the "Top" lists featured on Yahoo; today it was "The Top 25 Alternative Bands of the '90s". And while these lists are never of any real value, the comments are always good for a laugh. A few in this one got me thinking though...several people mentioned not having heard of most of the bands the blogger considered the "top 25" and were subjected to jeers and accusations of being "mainstream" and unaware of the good music of their generation. A couple comments in response to that pointed out that music and musicians don't have to be obscure to be good, and accused the blogger of attempting to be "avant garde" in his selections.

The 25 Best Alternative Rock Bands Of The 1990s - List Of The Day

Comments 9 and 19 also brought up a good point...just because a band is not well known doesn't mean they're some amazing underground talent shunned by people only wanting to hear what's popular; it could very well be that they just aren't very good. Obscurity doesn't equal hidden greatness anymore than mainstream equals undeserved accolades.

Anywho, my question(s) to you, dear AOers, is this...how do you feel about mainstream/obscure music and musicians? Do you think that just because the majority of the listening public has never heard of a particular band, they are somehow better or more talented than bands/artists that enjoy greater popularity? Is there a drive (especially in teens and young adults) to pick their music solely on how unpopular or unknown it is and to shun those who enjoy something they can hear on the radio? And the bonus question for my own amusement: what's your mainstream guilty music pleasure, the CD you keep hidden in your glove box or the secret playlist you give a different title to on your MP3 player so your friends don't make fun of you (don't be shy about admitting it, I know there's some Michael Bolton fans among you )?
    sig by Pyro Psycho

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dare to be...mainstream?

Well I listen to whatever I like. I prefer music that is unusual and original. But I also listen to what is consider mainstream too. I don't check charts for what is popular or not.

Anyway when it comes to mainstream music, its like they produce alot of "generic bands" that have one or two good songs but then the rest of their music sounds just like all the other bands before it in that genre. Also when something becomes popular record labels use that over and over until everyone is sick to the stomach with it. Well thats just my opinion about that.

As for the teenagers of today go, they all want to be accepted. Apparently the best way to be accepted is to show how independent and different you are. So the more unpopular your music selection is the more popular you become.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    (don't be shy about admitting it, I know there's some Michael Bolton fans among you )?
    I swear that cd is my friend's. Hey now, cut Michael Bolton some slack he got a few good songs.

Personally I am not big on obscure artists and bands, simply because I do not have the exposure to them. The only time I would be exposed is when an artists post his or her work on youtube. Obscure/Mainstream does not immediately deem you as talented or not, but I would say unknown artists and bands that show talent are more promising than mainstream stuff (since they have digital editing). Unfortunately they just don't have the connections or opportunities as their famous counterparts.

Still I dont get this whole idea with the love for indie bands. I mean how can you be sure they are independent?? A year ago wasn't there a lady dj who was busted when they found out the so called bands she was pushing were already signed with Sony??

My only "guilty pleasure" are my anime music, located in slot 2,3,4,5, and 6 of my cd changer Cd one is all mainstream pop, hip hop, and rock. Once I'm by myself in the car, boom cds 2-3-4-5-6

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I notice that I don't like most of the music heard on the popular radio channels or television channels like Mtv. However I'm certainly not some kind of "purist" who only likes bands which aren't popular and I thoroughly despise people who hate something just because it's popular. That's just as bad as only liking what's in the top 10 sales lists.

Like Legend I'm not exposed to a lot of underground or independent stuff. The way I find new music is just by bumping into it by accident, which has become a lot easier with the popularity boom of the internet.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

The internet opened a lot of doors for the listener. In order to hear obscure bands back in the day was to go to tons of concerts, be in the music business, or spend hundreds of dollars at a record store. That could be why the people commenting on that guys blog had no idea who those bands were.

Now that the internet is around you can just go searching on MySpace or whatever to find some good music. It's easier for both the listener and the artist.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

The only major downside to the music I see in the internet is that songs don't get a chance to grow on the listener anymore. Songs have to appeal directly or they'll be discarded.

+ Reply to Thread