+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dexter, Good or Evil?

x._Loveless.Murder_.x Aiora may be famous one day Aiora may be famous one day Aiora's Avatar
    Thanks

Dexter, Good or Evil?

(Note- i apologize if this is in the wrong topic)

If anyone has seen the show Dexter, would you debate that him killing criminals is either seen as good or bad..?

Dexter (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-".. Chase the morning, yield for nothing."

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dexter, Good or Evil?

It's essentially a paradox between what is considered right and what is considered wrong. Does killing only criminals make you ultimately a good person? If you were a criminal, does killing other criminals some sort of cure-all penance for your own petty sins? It's all just one big morality lesson. Different people have different ideas on what is morally right and what is morally wrong. Good and evil does walk beside each other. Most people have their morality set with the rule that "killing people is wrong", but apparently, everything is justifiable if the person that is killed is a killer [him/her]self. The ends justify the means; a principle that humanity knows far too well and is the difference between humanity and all other species on this planet.
    I love my girlfriend.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to spoil too much from the series for anyone who hasn't actually seen it... I think Dexter is a bit of both. His actions are distinctively evil. Nevertheless, despite his stoic attitude, and lack of real emotions, based on some of his actions, thoughts, and true inner feelings that occur throughout the series, I don't believe that Dexter is a truly malicious, vile human being at his very core.

It's a bit weird to think of Dexter as some sort of a "good" guy. Even if he only kills killers, he is no better than them. At the same time, I feel like he does have a certain set of morals instilled within him, though one can argue that it is simply due to his father and his own teachings, rather an actual personal set of his own moral code.

Honestly, he's an anti-hero. Not sure if you're necessarily supposed to root for him because of what he is, but you can't help doing it anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverskater145 For This Useful Post:

NevesElocin (Apr 02, 2008)

~Counting Down the Days~ NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin may be famous one day NevesElocin's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats funny to try to contemplate. Lets see. Its wrong to kill, but is it wrong to kill those who do wrong and kill others? Hmmm is there a right answer to that. Not really. I think its interesting at the least but whether its morally right or wrong I have no real answer to that, although I suppose I should come up with one since I'm posting here.... In my mind what he is doing is good. Kill those who kill others. Yes very good.

Our love will go on until the end of time. I will always be yours and you will be mine.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NevesElocin View Post
    Lets see. Its wrong to kill, but is it wrong to kill those who do wrong and kill others? Hmmm is there a right answer to that. Not really.
    There is a right answer to that:

It's wrong to kill.

Phew, that was easy.

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha, the good old, "Killing bad people is JUSTICE!" attitude. of course what Dexter does is a bit extreme.(i.e torture) He's got a very twisted sense of justice and personal craze for killing.

I've got only one mindset when it comes to this : It all depends on the circumstance :P

"Kill those who kill others."., sure thats good, but is torture a bit much?., then again if i was related to the victim i'd made sure torture was the least of his worries

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the same argument my friends and I had about Death Note. Although the victims are not innocent, Dexter (or Light) is still a murderer. There are always extreme cases where the death of a criminal may be required (but they are few and very far between), but I personally do not feel like it is up to a human to take the life of another. One of my favourite expressions is Ghandi's "If it is an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, the whole world will be blind and toothless."

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiora View Post
    (Note- i apologize if this is in the wrong topic)

If anyone has seen the show Dexter, would you debate that him killing criminals is either seen as good or bad..?

Dexter (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Kill" is evil so basically killing the ones who "correcting" a mistake with another .. and since that's the view the answer is clear ... Dexter acts = Evil Deeds ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast