Closed Thread

Thread: Dir en Grey

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Dir en Grey

How is Dir En Grey Pronounced and wut does it mean?

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dir en Grey

~!! I do not keep up with their interviews or anything of the sort, so I am not exactly sure. I sure except them being asked that very question in one of their interviews. Probably one of their hardcore fans knows ~!!! Anyhow, "Dir" sounds very much German, "En" is probably French or Spanish, and "Grey" is English, of course. I don't know what "Dir" means in German, but "en" means "in", I think, in Spanish. So, it's like "something in Grey".

And, I am not sure how exactly you would spell "Dir" in German. Just "D'ee'r", I suppose.

Newbie Xephon may be famous one day Xephon may be famous one day
    Thanks

According to guitarist Kaoru, the name "Dir en grey" was chosen because it "sounded right," and is comprised of words from several languages, so that people would not be able to attach a specific meaning to it other than that the band's name itself.

off Wikipedia: Dir en grey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otaku Warthog Launch Champion Rook may be famous one day Rook may be famous one day Rook's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Dir en Grey

Quote Originally Posted by kedar View Post
    ~!! I do not keep up with their interviews or anything of the sort, so I am not exactly sure. I sure except them being asked that very question in one of their interviews. Probably one of their hardcore fans knows ~!!! Anyhow, "Dir" sounds very much German, "En" is probably French or Spanish, and "Grey" is English, of course. I don't know what "Dir" means in German, but "en" means "in", I think, in Spanish. So, it's like "something in Grey".

And, I am not sure how exactly you would spell "Dir" in German. Just "D'ee'r", I suppose.
    but grey also means something in spanish as well, and im pretty sure in other languages, but then how do you pronounce it?

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Dir is German and means "You" and is pronounced like a short "deer". En does mean "in" and is French...it is pronounced like a hard "awn" and Grey is basic English. Thus you have "You in grey." I see no further discussion on this so I am closing.

Closed Thread