+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys like Final Fantasy XIII?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you guys like Final Fantasy XIII?

there's a lot of people saying it's terrible, and less people say that it's actually fun.

What's the verdict for the members of AO?
    Is it worth the $60 investment?
    PS3 or XBOX360?

Otaku Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish may be famous one day Nightwish's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Do you guys like Final Fantasy XIII?

i personally enjoyed it. its not as in depth in terms of game play as i would have liked but its still decent. the battle system is definitely unique and i like it better than XII. i like the characters better in XIII compared to XII as well. i dont think its worth 60 bucks at this point but when price goes down or it goes on sale or whatever then i would recommend it. idk i enjoyed it but then again my tastes are different than most people. i also suggest just renting it or something to try it out and if u dont like it then u can say u didnt waste money.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't been able to play it much (about 4 hrs into it) but I don't mind it. Battle system is pretty fun, story seems alright so far. It is a bit linear, but that doesn't bother me as much as it might other people.

I don't think it's as bad as some people are saying and I would recommend it, particularly if your a FF fan

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm nearing the end of chapter 13, and I have enjoyed this game. I'll address some common "cons", and give my diagnosis of them.

No towns: Not a big deal. When I'm playing FF, I'm not like "omfg this town is so exciting!" I'm in it for the battles, the story, and the character development.

It's linear: This isn't entirely fair. While the game does hold you by the hand for about 20 hours, once you get to chapter 11, you can go run off and encounter all kinds of things you have no business fighting yet. Gran Pulse is a vast area, complete with mark missions a la FFXII, chocobo, and a myriad of enemies to play with. I would like to remind everyone about Midgar of FFVII. The first 20hrs of FFXIII are like Midgar, you pretty much are told what you need to do, and just do it, you aren't really exposed to the core of the game yet. Cocoon = Midgar IMO, just a long introductory area, before the world map and the rest of the game (Gran Pulse).

No shops: Like with no towns, who cares? "OMG NO, I hate how the shops are all accessible from save points, this is convenient /rage"? I'm glad I don't have to run through towns and find shops, lets just focus on the story, and get on with it. No towns and no shops = efficiency. I'm not playing a walking game.

The story is lame: The story is just well....a Japanese RPG. Explain the complexities of FFVII or .Hack to someone who has no prior knowledge of them, and see if they don't look at you like you're crazy, and like the story sounds like it was made up by a platypus with ADHD. The fact of the matter is, if you get into it, it's good, but everyone can't get into the same things. I wont call the story weak by any means, it may be contrived, but really the stories of our favorite games do so tend to be.

No armor, and few weapons: Awesome, I don't feel like collecting a billion things. And hey, when you have your best weapon, do you swap out to a bunch of your older ones as well? Probably not. So honestly, this is just a collector pet peeve. Only one weapon will matter to the average player at one time, and any others will be shunned like Mr Rogers at an emo convention.

Limited customization: True, character growth is predetermined, and some characters are better suited for certain roles than others, which makes it somewhat useless to try and make everyone into an everything. With that said however, this also makes the game more comprehensive and enjoyable to a wider majority. Niche features and minute details may make a great cult hit, but when you want a game to be more fun and less frustrating, you have to tone that down. The game is fun, just not the same brand of fun that seasoned FF vets may expect.

No minigames: QQ. If you put in FFXIII, then you want to play FFXIII. If you are looking for a distraction or something to do when you are stuck/bored, simply take a break. The game is the game, if you want to play a minigame, just whip out your DS and play that for a bit, until it's time to get back to business.

In summary: The game is very enjoyable, you simply have to judge it on it's own merits. As great as Final Fantasy has been, it is entirely unfair to place the weight of all of those past games on this titles shoulders, and say "live up to all of these, and be better". The game is great, and it's really a matter of taste. I like the streamlining. I don't like wandering around aimlessly, I don't like a story that seems to fade into the background until I don't even care why I'm playing, and I hate needing an item, but having to kill 200 of something and play for a hundred hours to get it, that's simply asinine. I get that it's what makes an RPG, but it's not always forgivable, if the actual content is uninteresting, which this game is not. Play it for sure. I own it for the PS3 for those who wanted to know, but the differences are negligible.
    Last edited by Mega; Apr 04, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarity

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mega For This Useful Post:

clover (Apr 22, 2010)

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

I really like it so far. My sister's also playing it, and she feels that something indescribable is missing, but I don't see anything wrong. To me, I really love the characters (and for completely different reasons), and I think the storyline is very interesting, if nothing else. Maybe some think that the plot is a bit boring because it is so serious, but I think it gives it a certain respectable quality to it (not to say that it doesn't have its funny moments, because it does, just not as many as--say--final fantasy X).
    I think the battle system is fantastic--it's probably the best example of turning regular old turn-based and making it not only exciting but very interactive as well.
    As far as it being linear, I think it would be too confusing if it weren't linear for most of the game (and it does change quite a bit after chapter 11).
    Bottom line, I think it's worth $60. It's definitely better than FFXII, and is worth taking up your time.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't like the battle system or the linear format of the game. I heard that it gets a little more free as you progress, but it hardly felt like a FF game so I gave up on it. I like billions of side quests and TOWNS. I donno, it looked really nice but it didn't quite feel right.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazuka View Post
    but it hardly felt like a FF game so I gave up on it.
    Interesting, so you do not play games unless they feel like an FF game? If the issue is that it didn't feel like FF, and not that it was a bad game, then there really is no foundation on which to base that argument. To even further explore your statement; this is in fact an FF game, and so whatever it feels like, is by definition the feeling of an FF game; the feeling of FFXIII.

So I guess I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you mean that you disliked the fact that it was an FF game, which did not have the feel of the older FF games. How unforgivable, how dare developers try to come up with something new, innovation and ideas should be outlawed! I want them to use the same ideas and concepts every single time and just slap a new coat of graphics paint on it, change the names and locations, and increase the numeric value after the title by 1.

Now if I've got you terribly wrong here, please reply with a more detailed explanation, and let it be one formed after playing a considerable portion of the game.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mega For This Useful Post:

BrightShadow_96 (Apr 06, 2010)

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just speaking my opinion. I didn't think I'd loose my hand for it.

I never said it was a bad game, just that I didn't like it. If you liked the battle system and the format of the game, good for you, play it then. I didn't like the game play so I did not finish it. And this was an opinion formed after playing at least 8 hours of it. Stop with the goose-stepping, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast