+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you trust the gaming media for reviews?

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Do you trust the gaming media for reviews?

The gaming media. Harsh, demanding, occationally fanboyish. Video games are rated on various scales, depending on various factors. These reviews seek to be objective evaluations of games, but can they be trusted?

As an example, a couple months ago, the game coverage site Gamespot came under heavy fire after an editor was mysteriously let go after giving a game 6.0/10, because the game had tons of advertising dollars for it all over the site, and the publisher pulled out all those advertising funds. This is one of a few areas where one has to wonder how objective these reviewers are.

But this topic is a bit more vague than that. What I'm wondering is if the ever vigilant and informed residents of AO trust, or perhaps follow game reviews as a good reference for a game's quality. Is there a score out of 10 that a game must get before it flies onto your radar? Are these reviewers too critical of a media dependent on simple fun? Do you follow your nose Toocan Sam style instead of reading someone else's opinion on a game? Is there an instance of a game where the media all hated a game, but you thought it was more glorious than the former Roman Empire? Do you trust the opinions of a certain reviewer, but not others? If so, why? All these are but possible questions for discussion in this here thread.

Post away, my evil minions!

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Do you trust the gaming media for reviews?

*Quote removed* ~ Quoting the Orignal poster is not needed. If you must quote something, quote the portion of text that you are commenting on. ~ Aceman67

for one, YOU are MY evil minion! MWAHAHAHAHA ok, im done.

as for the the thread, i mainly use game ratings as a guideline. i almost never belive them, unless at least two or three give similar reviews. and i totally know what you speak of when you say "baias". G4's Xplay is a prime example of this. almost anything anime related, they say is sucky.
    Last edited by aceman67; Mar 30, 2008 at 11:57 PM.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Well of course it can be trusted, though in some games it cannot or i should say not allowed to be trusted in a way. In some ways the game reviews should be trusted, since several gmae did get involved in with some several acts of low score rating and also with other games that has accomplished with high score rating, becuse of the features that a game may contain. And other occasions when a game that has been advertised for mainly a month now after the release of the game is that there has been improper rating in the game issue.
    My point is having a good game informer may come in handy once the publishers of the game making industries provide with varieties of knowledge into if we should trust them. Depending if the people of AO may depict in this typical thread.

Magic intervenes when there is love in first sight.
    |アスタロス|

Banned Pyramid Gold Champion, Triathlon Champion, Panik: Pogomania Champion Little negi sensei is off to a good start
    Thanks

Well i only trust G4's The Show and G4's X-play.And Ochi U LIE X-PLAY DONT SAY ANYTHIN ANIME IS SUXIE.That one game with the fox and the water painting they gave a 4/5 yup and the naruto game they gave 3.5/5 and they gave it that because it wuz just fighting i wuld have done the same.And they gave devil may cry 4 3.5/5 cause it was the same formating as the othe devil may crys.But i only trust those 2 programs for gameing reviews and or previews!!!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The tough thing for game reviewers it that there are a variety of gamers out there, and its sometimes hard to review a game objectively without getting repercussions from fanboys of a game or series. I often won't read a full review, but I will look at the things they consider set backs to the game and see if I agree or not. Many times I do, but other times its those "set backs" about the game that I like about the game. I would never buy a game based off a review I've read, and its too bad that sometimes Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo bribe well known reviewers just so they might get more sales. So really, reviews are kinda a double-edge sword. You'll usually either agree or disagree.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I do trust gaming reviews. Of course you shouldn't go with one person's opinion. Just compare 4 or 5 of them and make an average score out of that. I find that using this method is pretty effective. I combine that with doing some research on the games I am interested in and I can't say I have ever made a wrong purchase in my life.

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really trust the gaming review, I trust my friend, he got a wide range of games and some are on the psp so I try the game on his ps2 and if i like it i buy it on the psp
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I never trust game reviews... I read them.. But I like to decide for myself whether I will like a game or not.

There were several games I played and loved...But the reviewers hated them. ?_?

The only time I really look to the media about anything regarding video games is if it's an in depth article about the game and its development...

There was a great article in Game Informer about Dead Space, for example.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast