+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Dungeons & Dragons

So, I recently started playing D&D and I have completely fallen in love with it!
    I've only been to two sittings, I participated in each and I have my own character and am registered in the system.
    I don't know too much about the game yet...I can play, but the only thing that I really need help in is where to put what on my character sheet and using dice. I haven't differentiated the dice yet and I haven't really learned the layout of the character sheet yet either lol. Give me some slack I've only played twice so far!

I go to all my sittings with my friend Brittany at a little place called Collector's Connection. I suppose it's not really little, just packed with a bunch of awesome stuff and people. My Dungeon Master's name is Kat and she is an AMAZING Dungeon Master. She helps you through everything and explains the game with detail and makes it all fun.

Incase you were wondering, my character is a level 5 Raptoran Rogue named Odette.

Here's the questions for all of you: How long have you been playing D&D? Do you like your DM, if so why? Where do you play D&D?
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

My first tabletop roleplaying game was Robotech, my first experience of it was way back in '98. I used to hang out as the hotshot kid who played Magic: The Gathering along with a bigger cousin in a hobby shop. He was older and i was like a lackey following and learning all of these game stuff. I often see him along with his friends w/c are also older than me playing D&D, it was 2nd ed AD&D back then and watching them was quite interesting. My first hands-on experience with it was during a christmas eve, it was me, a friend, and my cousin. He was the DM and i was the ranger with my friend as a cleric, hell yeah it was fun and it was the start of my D&D odyssey.

Years went on and those older people i'm talking about also became the main circle of friends that i hang out with even up to now. We still play D&D during summer vacation and in long holiday seasons. Along with new people in the gang our D&D sessions are getting better. We usually play at a designated place, usually the home of one of the players. There's no real permanent DM here, of course they do get bored of DM work sometimes and they'd like to take on player roles. But as far as crappy DMs are concerned, we only have one, but his whereabouts are unknown nowadays.

As my playing style, i usually go for roleplaying than power-gaming, sure y'know the diff'rence right? There are lots of loopholes in the game in which players can create goku-like characters and everything...But at epic-level campaigns, yeah i usually am a power-gamer. Our last D&D run was back in oct-november '07, kinda short lived but we're expecting another run this month up until early June. My last character was Rodolfo "El Loco Diablo" Benitez, 1st level(ended up 7th) fighter. What's with the name? It was in a Ravenloft setting where you usually encounter undead and other similar denizens so i decided to roleplay something spicy like a latino grumpy no-nonsense, tobacco chewing old geezer that loves gunpowder.

D&D is on 4th edition now, we're still stuck with 3rd ed tho,,,so how 'bout you? what edition do you play?

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

while i've never actually played D&D before, i have played tabletop roleplaying games

but on the subject of dnd, R.I.P. Jerry Gygax, co creator.
    Why hello there!

Newbie Echo is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    My first tabletop roleplaying game was Robotech, my first experience of it was way back in '98. I used to hang out as the hotshot kid who played Magic: The Gathering along with a bigger cousin in a hobby shop. He was older and i was like a lackey following and learning all of these game stuff. I often see him along with his friends w/c are also older than me playing D&D, it was 2nd ed AD&D back then and watching them was quite interesting. My first hands-on experience with it was during a christmas eve, it was me, a friend, and my cousin. He was the DM and i was the ranger with my friend as a cleric, hell yeah it was fun and it was the start of my D&D odyssey.

Years went on and those older people i'm talking about also became the main circle of friends that i hang out with even up to now. We still play D&D during summer vacation and in long holiday seasons. Along with new people in the gang our D&D sessions are getting better. We usually play at a designated place, usually the home of one of the players. There's no real permanent DM here, of course they do get bored of DM work sometimes and they'd like to take on player roles. But as far as crappy DMs are concerned, we only have one, but his whereabouts are unknown nowadays.

As my playing style, i usually go for roleplaying than power-gaming, sure y'know the diff'rence right? There are lots of loopholes in the game in which players can create goku-like characters and everything...But at epic-level campaigns, yeah i usually am a power-gamer. Our last D&D run was back in oct-november '07, kinda short lived but we're expecting another run this month up until early June. My last character was Rodolfo "El Loco Diablo" Benitez, 1st level(ended up 7th) fighter. What's with the name? It was in a Ravenloft setting where you usually encounter undead and other similar denizens so i decided to roleplay something spicy like a latino grumpy no-nonsense, tobacco chewing old geezer that loves gunpowder.

D&D is on 4th edition now, we're still stuck with 3rd ed tho,,,so how 'bout you? what edition do you play?

Haha...You seem like a fun person to be around..I like your style ^-^

Currently we are playing 3rd edition but once 4th edition comes out I am pretty sure that we are going to swtich over. I really wished I wouldn't have waited so long to get into the game..I mean I've know about the game for quite sometimes but I always thought I wouldn't like it...how wrong was I!

As for magic...I just could never get into magic for some reason...It just never really appealed to me..I dunno why...I guess I am weird or something lol.
    http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb19/OfeliasFire/BlueProxy-1024_768-1.jpg
    "I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping to learn a bit bout' what is true and fake"

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahh, the good ol' days of when I played D&D, good times; good times. Back when I was a PC my namesake, Jo (how it was originally spelled) Mage, was my first character durin' the 2nd Edition D&D. And boy did he grow extremely powerful. Under 3rd edition rules, he'd b a Demi-God now. He grew so powerful that my original DM, guy named Robert, forced me ta retire him; 'cause he couldn' come up wit anymore challanges for him. And let me tell u, Robert was brutal as a DM, but; mostly through luck; my character made it and grew ta b very powerful. I had other PC characters, but none of them ever shone as brightly as Jo Mage, which is a shortened version of his real name "Jovenicus Magolicus," although some of his closest friends refered ta him as "Joven."

But as a DM, I was pretty popular amongst my friends. I never had a "God" complex that some DM's suffer from, I had always tried ta b impartial when playin' as a DM. I like ta look at the DM part as a "director" or "storyteller" of a story, in which, the PCs r the stars. Of course, that doesn' mean that I go easy on them, I jus' try ta make it more enjoyable for the players and myself. My friends used ta enjoy the fact that I would come up wit different voices for all of the characters that I'd play, they said it added "flair."lol. I don' play anymore, 'cause I don' know too many ppl where I live and most of them don' play D&D; so I hadta put up my books. But I did have a blast while I was playin'.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

It's awesome to see so many D&D players here on the forums. +5 coolness points gained for AO.

I've been playing D&D for around ~4-ish years. Our original DM was amazingly good at storytelling. You really did feel like the character in the story, and the DM never railroaded PCs into something, and if he did, it was so well masked that we never noticed, since he winged stuff up so well. And the combat was intense, I remember one batte where it was 4 level 15s against a balor demon, and I died 4 times in the same battle. I was constantly ressurected by the druid Duncan Mcloud of the clan Mcloud, who was insane, and had a tiger named Giblet. Good times.

For DMs, I prefer them to be brutal. That way, you have to think like your character, and really exploit every option you have to win the battle, or use spells in a way you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

As my playing style, i usually go for roleplaying than power-gaming, sure y'know the diff'rence right? There are lots of loopholes in the game in which players can create goku-like characters and everything
    Same here. I used to make power gaming characters, I just never used them because it wouldn't be that fun in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mage
    My friends used ta enjoy the fact that I would come up wit different voices for all of the characters that I'd play, they said it added "flair.
    I always enjoy it when DMs do the voices like that. Did you ever do female voices? We alaways used to have a good laugh whenever that occured.

I currently play 3.5 Edition of D&D, always have. So, basically, I'll balk at everyone that plays 2nd Edition for not moving on, but then when 4 comes out, I'll be like "No, 4 gets it all wrong! 3.5 foreva!". Who needs new grappling rules anyways....

If anyone has any 3.5 D&D questions, I'd be happy to answer them, I still remember a lot of the rules and such, I must have read the DM's Guide and Player's Handbook a solid 4-5 times apiece...

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

I Love DnD, but since we only were able to complete one campaign or dungeon, I'm only level 2 - in both my characters, whom are a Moon Elf Sorcerer with a Neutral Evil aspect and a Lawful Evil Drow Fighter, lol.

I'm usually our DM, and I am a ass hole DM, I mean, I will over-load us with opponents to where we almost die, also deny requests (But I accept them, I only have fun). And we usually play at some cafe or to be cliche and funny, my grandmas basement.

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Luminous;587018]
    I always enjoy it when DMs do the voices like that. Did you ever do female voices? We alaways used to have a good laugh whenever that occured.
    [QUOTE]

Yes, I did. As a matter of fact, we had a girl join our group, and I completely freaked her out when I started imitatin' the voices of the female NPCs. She said that I sounded so much like a woman that she was completely shocked.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast