+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

I've managed to get my hands (err, not really but kinda, i know you know what i'm talking about) on 5 of the new 4th ed D&D books namely Races and Classes, Keep on the Shadowfell, and the core set. I haven't thoroughly read them yet but i already did quick scans and glimpses on its contents. The first thing that struck me are the core set covers, unlike its previous counterparts (3rd ed for example) the covers of these books aren't crammed with heavy detailed artworks. Instead, they are presented with a minimalistic style. A common trait of the 2nd ed books--full page artworks are commonplace again in 4th edition books.

I've read several rumors about 4th edition on other sites and right now i've proven that some of them aren't just rumors. About the Monster Manual, some "familiar" monsters have been axed out of it (at least just for now). Iron and clay golems are gone, metallic dragons are out, the Lamia underwent a major overhaul in terms of its look, it seems that the Worm That Walks are now merely called Larva Mages, and a lot more. The players have new monsters to feast upon anyway, or vice-versa. (It seems like) The monster types (aberrations, shapechanger, etc.) are gone. I could probably uncover more later on...

On the PHB side of things, some of the major races and classes familiar to us during the two previous editions have been banished from its contents. New races and classes are introduced in lieu of the axed ones. Some of the new ones might just be a mere facsimile of those removed, but i'm yet to find out. The pantheon was overhauled too but yeah it might be full of facsimiles too...

So far i haven't glimpsed the DMG as much as i glimpsed the other two core books. I have a complaint about the artwork though, most of the artworks inside seemed a bit off and oddly pixelated, this problem might be traced all the way to the publishing..Then again, the one i got might be a bad copy.

Races and Classes is just a more in-depth review of..well..Races and Classes. I've nothing much to say about Keep on the Shadowfell this time, i haven't checked on it yet but it seems like a simple campaign setting.

Are there any D&D players out here who are planning to shift immediately into 4th edition? If some of you have already managed to get your hands on these books and already did a more in-depth reading, feel free to share your praises, comments, violent reactions, and other whatnots here. I would like to hear from you.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

i'm not shifting into the 4th gen, the 4th gen is shifting into my campaign. I am incorporating some of the new 4th gen ideas into my 3rd gen world, i don't feel like reworking a level 512 elf from the ground up. (nor do i want to mess with my group's lvl 200+ characters)

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Otaku ron119125 is off to a good start ron119125's Avatar
    Thanks

The way they are bring out D&D 4th edition has me upset. I have heard that some of the charter classes left out of the players hand book will be in books that will come out later. How are you going to start using 4th edition if charter classes are not in the first books relased. From everything I have seen and heard I will be sticking with 3.5 edition. Mabey later when more of the books are out I will consider 4th edition but for now I will stay with has been working well for me.

Thanks

I'm not planning to immediately shift either, i'm pretty sure that some rules will be tweaked and errata'd in the near future. It's still on the polishing stage anyway...

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks

can i know wad is dungeons and dragons?? is it an anime or movie or game or something??

Thanks

Basically it's a tabletop game where you only use, books, pencils, paper, die, and imagination. There are also a lot of D&D related video games out there....

D&D also had a couple of movies, novels, comics, and cartoons under its name.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

I basically stopped playin' after the 3rd edition, when I moved ta Georgia, I jus' couldn' find enough ppl ta play. I heard that there was gonna b some major changes wit the 4th, I jus' hope that wit all of the changes that u've listed so far doesn' effect the game inna negative manner.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't played D&D in AGES!! But I read about 4th Edition last night in an issue of Game Informer (which is about a month old) and got pretty excited about it. It's a bit more simplified, so alot of D&D fanatics will probably stick to 3rd Edition, but I'm not them. LOL.

Lots of rules have been tweaked, classes removed/replaced and other things. I hear that some of the classes that have been removed are being saved for 5th edition. There's no more skill points. You're either trained or not, and different classes have unique powers of their own. I don't quite remember all the details, but I'm buyin' the books. I just need to find some people to play. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast