+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Game age ratings

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Game age ratings

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    In Europe, the age ratings only serve as a guide. Stores are allowed to sell an 18+ game to a 5-year-old for all they care.
    The parents should take responsibility in the education of their child(ren) and make sure the child(ren) only gets games they approve of.
    No they're not, in fact my local Game has a sign up about selling a game to someone who does not meet the age requirements being a felony.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrail View Post
    No they're not, in fact my local Game has a sign up about selling a game to someone who does not meet the age requirements being a felony.
    Sucks to be you then.
    Okay, MAINLAND Europe has the ratings only as a guide (although Germany can sometimes act a bit differently).

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

It's defintely illegal here, but a lot of places don't follow the law, so it's like it doesn't even exist.

Hell Enforcer George Wants Beer Champion, Monkey Cliff Diving Champion, Tilt 2 Champion hellknight may be famous one day hellknight may be famous one day hellknight's Avatar
    Thanks

Most parent's buy the games for younger kids, say a 10 year old wants this game and the father buy's it for him then when he's playing the father realize what he bought his son, a violence, and ummm other underage stuff.

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Sucks to be you then.
    Okay, MAINLAND Europe has the ratings only as a guide (although Germany can sometimes act a bit differently).
    I still get served them, sucks for the people doing time or paying a fine just for serving me

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

I ignore them all the time. I just think its stupid. It's not like I'm going to go out and shoot a lot of people just because I played GTA. That is not logical...nor possible. The lawmakers just want to make the whole world kiddie-proof...>_<

Otaku Bow Adventure Champion OdysseanPromise may be famous one day OdysseanPromise may be famous one day
    Montclair, NJ (School), Severn, MD (Home)
    Thanks

Most of the arguments here are valid, and largely the same, I just get a rise out of parents and activists who are shocked when they see games like GTA in motion. There is a reason why games have an age suggestion on them, but parents don't believe that, and can we really blame them?

Perfect Dark for the N64 is an example of "mature" games of the past. We look at Perfect Dark and realize how tame it was. Little blood, a bit of cursing, which is certainly a world away from GTA: San Andreas, but I think part of it is context. Perhaps parents have a bloated sense of confidence in themselves, and believe that the ESRB largely just make stuff seem worse than it is.

Perhaps not.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

I do not ignore game age ratings. Why would I? Especially now that I have a little sister. The ratings are not so much for me, but for my little sister. Everything that she gets or that I get her... I make sure it's appropriate for her. I hate the fact that most parents ignore the ratings on the games and let their kids get and play whatever they want. But then, once they realize what their children are playing, the have the guts to sue the companies! Insane, really. I mean, they are there for a reason. Maturity and the capacity of what a child can and cannot take mentally. We shouldn't ignore the ratings. Especially for the younger ones.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast