+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Clover Studios

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Goodbye Clover Studios

Quote Originally Posted by 1up.com
    Capcom has decided to close down its subsidiary, Clover Studio, less than three years after its foundation, on July 1st, 2004. The studio was created as a hotbed of Capcom's talent, to focus on making original games such as Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand. The harsh gaming industry hasn't welcomed their efforts too warmly, though, and Capcom feels this approach is inefficient -- hardly surprising when it's being compared to popular series such as Megaman, Resident Evil, Onimusha, Devil May Cry and Street Fighter.

Accordingly, Clover Studio is being closed down at the end of March 2007. It hasn't been disclosed what will happen to the staff at the studio, but if Capcom doesn't want to hold on to them, they will surely find work elsewhere, thanks to their titles being critically acclaimed worldwide.
    Link here: Clover Studio to Be Dissolved news from 1UP.com

Such a creative studio being closed down by capcom. There was a link I found which says Clover loss in sales cost the company 400 million yen(trying to find it now).

EDIT: found the link here : Capcom to dissolve Clover Studio - PlayStation 2 News at GameSpot

Quote Originally Posted by gamespot.com
    The dissolution of Clover Studio comes after Capcom pulled themselves out of spiralling losses. In 2003 they announced losses of $163 million and shelved plans for 18 previously scheduled games. However, the company appeared to have bounced back and reported a healthy $7.02 million profit in this year's first quarter.

Capcom added on the end of the press release: "The impact of the dissolution of Clover Studio Co., Ltd. on the financial forecasts, separately announced on the same day, is inclusive as part of Extraordinary Losses amounting to 400 million yen," or approximately $3.5 million.

Clover's games mainly we're underrated, and some of their release dates for games have had a bit of bad timing(like Godhand coming out near the time of FFXII in Japan). It's too bad, because nearly all of their games brought something unique in terms of gaming experiences. What do you guys think about this news?
    Last edited by False Truth; Oct 12, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks
    I never really heard of that company but its sad that Capcom closed it down some good games come from small companies.

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I never really heard of that company but its sad that Capcom closed it down some good games come from small companies.
    Yes, this was a big hit. I really wasn't expecting them to close down Clover. I knew they would shut down Studio 8(Company that made Maximo) but this hurts because of how innovative Clover was. They pulled out the best game directors, artists, producers from capcom for most of their games, yet sales determine whether you're good or not in the game industry.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks
    I remember Maximo it sucked really bad lol but wasn't Viewtiful Joe popular? I know they made a sequel but I didn't know that a company from Capcom made it lol.. Capcom always makes good games but I didn't know they had a smaller company with it.

THE RULES!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Capcom always makes good games but I didn't know they had a smaller company with it.
    Pretty much all gaming companies are made of multiple studios and branches. Usually people don't know this because of 2 reasons.

1. The company has bought another company, therefore changing its name. An example of this would be EA.

2. The person that publishes the game usually gets their name out for the game more than the developer, because of the company's popularity and well-known status.

Thanks
    Hmmmm so I see well I'm looking forward to many of Capcom's games like RE5, DMC4, and some SF as well I wish Sega would be a top dog also... sigh Sega is my faverite.

THE RULES!

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks
    >o< NO!!! NNNNOOOOOO! NOT CLOVER!!!!!

TT_TT how can they do that!? (i know they can but still...) is this how we're suppose to reward creativeity! GOSHDARNIT! argh... just cuz it's not goshdarn Final Fantasy doesn't mean you shouldn't play it!!!!! ARRRGHGHHGHHGGGHHH~!

^_^ Okami is the best Action/Adventure game in the whole world.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    I doubt they'll be letting off the employees of Clover Studios.
    They are way too talented for that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast