+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Test of Time

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Harry Potter and the Test of Time

No one can argue with the numbers. Dollars have spoken and Harry Potter is the 2nd most widely read book in history (second only to the bible). He is a worldwide icon and beloved of children everywhere... but in 100 years, where will he stand?

Is Harry Potter a pleasantly commercial diversion intended primarily to amuse children? Or are there larger, more overreaching themes that speak to adults who aren't just looking to write naughty fanfiction about the main characters? Do we read Harry Potter to be inspired or to be entertained?

Will Harry Potter books be taught to our children in school? Our children's children? Their children?

Is Harry Potter even appropriate for study as "great literature"?

Discuss

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Harry Potter and the Test of Time

While I enjoy contributing money to the Harry Potter franchise, I do not believe it should be taught in schools. It's literary value is simply an analysis of foreshadowing and an example of Bildungsroman (a coming-of-age story), and fun. As enjoyable as it is, I think that it's place remains at home, not in school.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    While I enjoy contributing money to the Harry Potter franchise, I do not believe it should be taught in schools. It's literary value is simply an analysis of foreshadowing and an example of Bildungsroman (a coming-of-age story), and fun. As enjoyable as it is, I think that it's place remains at home, not in school.
    I agree with you here Divine. the books are just there to be enjoyed, there is no possible way for schools to integrate it into the curriculum.
    and even if they did, what age would be appropriate? you cannot expect a 2nd grade child to understand the whole story behind Harry Potter.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I don't think you can call it "great literature".
    One thing one should do is look back in the past 100 years ago. See how different the world was back then?
    The worldwide success of Harry Potter was largely made possible because of how easy it is nowadays to spread a hype. Television and, even more so, the internet have been instrumental in the spreading of its popularity.
    I think that in the next 100 years there will be multiple global Harry Potter-like hypes just because the increase in power of information technology.

Otaku OfeliasFire is off to a good start OfeliasFire's Avatar
    Thanks

Eventually I do think the Harry Potter craze will die out with time...just like fads and trends.
    Personally I love the books and the movies and have contributed my share of money towards it. I just think it's a really good and book and that from the books have spawned very entertaining movies.
    What many people fail to forget...is that it is JUST A BOOK AND MOVIE!
    So what if it is second most read to the bible..to me...the bible is just a book as well. Although, I think you could get inspiration from both Harry Potter and the bible as well.
    I think it would be sad to see such a great book fade out from the world after a period of time and I also think that eventually it may be considered (after a certain number of years) a classic among children, teens and young adults.
    One thing we much remember is that time moves on wether we stand still or not...the same goes with movies, books, fashion, and even people, but just because it is stuck under the remains of past trends and what not..doesn't mean it can't be recovered.
    Dear Dinah...

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I had this very discussion in a Youth creative writing course at Uni this year.

And the teachers openly admitted that it wasn't ever going to be a piece of 'great literature' for future academics to go over and pick out 'underlying messages' and such. (But then again, it was clear that they hated Harry Potter lol)

For me, I don't know, I'm sure some one will find something to study out of it. However when I compare in to other 'great' pieces of literature like Little Women, Catcher in the Rye for example, both of those books brought about something different for those times Little women - about womens roles, and Catcher about a rebellious teenager (And I think catcher was looked down upon by many at the time, due to this difference)

Then I compare that to Harry Potter and what does it show about todays society? What is in it that is so ground breakingly, shockingly different to other books that out there? Is it going to change the way authors write books? I personally don't think so.

But then again, John Marsdens' Tomorrow series, is a set reading in some schools, and it is definatly not a classic, so prehaps in the future, Harry Will be too.

Newbie glacier may be famous one day glacier may be famous one day glacier's Avatar
    Thanks

Harry Potter is entertaining...also educating. We know how entertaining HP is from the books, movies, and franchise. But for educating side, it's not about literature. I feel that HP is not too well written (grammatically correct all the time) like Narnia or LOTR. Educating mostly from moral side. Bravery, friendship, trust, etc, are worth to be taught on school. If the MoE wants to put HP on school curricula, it's fine as long HP are not in the language section. So... it's not appropriate for study as great literature...for now.

And as the time goes by where he will stand? I can tell our wonderful wizard wont just fade away after the seventh movie is out but it will continue forever. Harry Potter, especially for potterholic, will always be in their heart. Just like Tolkien Lewis and Dahl. Their works are still 'alive'.

Honestly, my whole life's changed because of Harry and i'm sure there are many people would say that. For me, even after I grow up, become adult, parents, grand and die, my HP books will always be with me even if I put it on the corner of bookshelf.
    For I am rightful of their band, My best allegiances are to the death ~Gwendolyn Brooks

Signature designed by Shonen
    Thank You

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I am greatly against teaching Harry Potter in schools or involving it in lectures when besides the few values it teaches what purpose would it serve. Young children should not be greatly influenced by something they may blow out of proportion and reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast