+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Harry Potter and the Test of Time

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Harry Potter and the Test of Time

i think, if anything, Harry Potter would be looked at as something that reflected the times it was written in, rather then the story itself. maybe anthroplogists will speak of it more than literary people.

like those really popular nickel novels back in 1800s England, they were super popualr in the day, but now they are not held that highly by a lot of people. most people don't even really know about them. however, that is how Charles Dickens got his start (even though i think he's a terrible writer).

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

Will any of the Harry Potter books ever be considered great children's literature? Who knows. There have always been books that were written for children, that have not only stood the test of time, but are considered great children's literature. While some cling within that in-between shades of gray territory. I think the Harry Potter books fall into this area of modern children's literature.

The Narnia books: Some consider them great literature, some do not.

The Lord of the rings books: Most say yes, some say no.

The Oz books: Again some do, some would say no.

Alice in Wonderland: I mean this book was written by an older man who had a passionate thing for a little girl, and when the family found out about his advances they promptly tossed him out. Yet he still tried to pursue her through other avenues. Eww! Yet the book is considered great children's literature.

Peter Pan: Slow start, but who doesn't know the story of Peter Pan?

I've even read that Nancy Drew is considered the most famous female in children's literature.

The Redwall books: I read an article that say it is. Yet many would say not. I remember my youngest sister reading them as a kid. As I recall they are books about mice (and such).

Anne of Green Gables: Many say it is. I had one teacher in school who certainly did not.

I am a fan. I wasn't at first. I thought it's a kids story about a boy wizard. I couldn't fathom what the big deal was. I think I read the first book just before the third book came out. I was hooked. Is it great modern literature? I don't know, but then I would not have said Nancy Drew was.

It mat surprise some of you that Harry Potter is being taught in some schools, but not everyone is happy about it.

Under the Spell of Harry Potter (Paperback)
    Dollins, Stephen (Author)

Stephen will expose the latest device of the devil -- Harry Potter. Unfortunately, the average Christian does not recognize the evil in Harry Potter. Harry Potter is being taught not only in public and private schools, but in some CHURCHES! Knowing evil and exposing it is the best way to avoid it.
    Under the Spell of Harry Potter explores the very core of what is being taught to today's young people. Some say its harmless fun, some say its just reading material, Stephen Dollins explores the truth behind these statements. Stephen Dollins will show how Harry Potter actually teaches children to use spell casting, potions and curses. The book teaches how this child phenomena called Harry Potter uses fantasy to teach evil reality. Witchcraft is being promoted by Christian leadership and the church, and most Christians are blind to it.

Is there a hidden meaning and purpose to Harry Potter? Are these innocent, harmless children's stories? Decide for yourself!

Regardless of if we say yes or no, we need to remember that the future judges will be the millions and millions of children who have grown up with it.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but Harry potter was a great historic book before someone made a huge magical thing about it. It was an epic poem bout alchemists and people who what to find the greatest object being the philosophers stone. Basicly that epic poem was turned into the Book Harry Potter and the Pholisophers/Sorcerers stone.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Da Ish View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not but Harry potter was a great historic book before someone made a huge magical thing about it. It was an epic poem bout alchemists and people who what to find the greatest object being the philosophers stone. Basicly that epic poem was turned into the Book Harry Potter and the Pholisophers/Sorcerers stone.
    What the heck are you talking about?

O_o; I'm a fan of both history and poetry and have heard no "epic poems" about boy wizards going to magic school.

Harry Potter includes hundreds, if not thousands of names and references to legendary creatures, myths and older stories... it hardly means it was based upon any of them.

By that reasoning, 98% of anime is "based on" history and mythology... simply by virtue of using names, objects and ideas appropriated from elsewhere.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Harry Potter is the Narnia, the Lord of the Rings of our generation. I think it's made its mark in the fantasy genre, but as a literary piece? I think that's stretching it. It is with little contest, a children's book, though it can be enjoyed by adults, it is prodominately written for young readers. Just because it's been read a lot, doesn't make it a great literary piece. It doesn't pose any life questions and many us question the human condition, it's just a good ole' good vs. evil fantasy world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2