+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Hobbit not directed by Peter Jackson

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

The Hobbit not directed by Peter Jackson

This is why:

Hollywood accounting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter Jackson, director of The Lord of the Rings, and his studio Wingnut Films, brought a lawsuit against New Line Cinema after "an audit... on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring." Jackson stated this is regarding "certain accounting practices," which may be a reference to Hollywood accounting. In response, New Line stated that their rights to a film of The Hobbit were time-limited, and since Jackson would not work with them again until the suit was settled, he would not be asked to direct The Hobbit, as had been anticipated.[7] Fifteen actors are suing New Line Cinema claiming that they have never received their 5% of revenue from merchandise sold in relation to the movie, which contains their likeness.[8] Similarly, the Tolkien estate has sued New Line, claiming that while their contract entitled them to 7.5% of the gross receipts, the film studio has refused to pay them any share of the $6 billion dollar hit.[9]

7 ^ TheOneRing.net: Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh Talk THE HOBBIT
    8 ^ :15 actors sue New Line Cinema over 'Lord of the Rings' profits
    9 ^ The Associated Press: Tolkien Estate Sues New Line Cinema

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh Talk THE HOBBIT | Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.netâ„¢ | The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Movie News and Rumors

Thus, someone else will be taking his shoes:

The Hobbit (2011)

Guillermo del Toro

I don't see how someone who directed Blade 2 could direct ''The Hobbit'', though ''Pan's Labyrinth'' does seem more fantasy driven, even if I never chose to sit down and watch that movie lastly named.

I know that money often makes the world go round, but I just find it sad that New Line and various film studios tend to steal money though various gimmicks.

Questions I'm curious of the general public:

Are you interested in Tolkien's stories?

I am quite a bit ever since I heard of the first movie. After watching it in theatres I immediately bought the books and devoured the first one. Gradually I read the other two, though the description in the storytelling was very heavy. I play D&D tabletop and read ''Forgotten Realms'' novels as well as other various fantasy inspired books. What brings me close to Tolkien is probably all the research in the background that he did before writing down his stories. I'll stop here as I could go on forever and I'm limited by time.

Have you read/seen the stories?

I read ''The Hobbit'' and ''lord of the rings'' trilogy as well as saw the three movies.

If so, what were your thoughts (positive/negative)?

Positive: Everything. (you can write more. I'll probably further comment at a later time)

Negative: The fun always has an end. (further commenting later)

Thinking of going to see ''The Hobbit''?

Yes I will.

How do you think the director will pull things out?

I'll go watch Pan's Labyrinth and come back with a reply in a week or so.

I know the movie won't come out for A LONG TIME (around 2010 or 2011 me thinks), but still. I rarely post, so now is as good a time as any ^^

And this might be old news.....but I didn't find any info of this on animeonline and searching, so I felt like bringing this up none the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Hobbit not directed by Peter Jackson

I love Guillermo Del Toro, and I was so happy when I found out he's doing the Hobbit. Thank god Peter Jackson isn't making it, because the Lord of the Rings movies got terrible stale near the end. I like the fact that Guillermo mixes costumed people with CGI and HOPEFULLY Gollum will be someone in a costume, much like this:

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Is that a picture taken from one of Guillermo Del Toro's movies? If so, that might frighten a few young kids in my opinion.

You thought the movies were getting stale? I think he probably got forced to take some stuff out so that the movie wouldn't last an hour or two more. Indeed it felt strange when I saw the ending up the third movie, but I didn't think at all that it was stale. I still remember wanting the movie to go on, seeing a ''fade to black'', thinking it's over, and seeing that it wasn't over. After 3 times doing this to me, I thought my wish had been realised. Saddly, no movie can last forever....

But seriously, why stale?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, it's taken from Pan's Labyrinth which wasn't made for children and is described as a 'fairy tale for adults'. I was just showing how fantastic his costumes can be.

I'm not sure why they felt stale, I think I just wasn't too into LotRs to begin with. I just couldn't sit through the films more than once. Though I have read the Hobbit, and enjoyed it.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, it will be interesting. I've never read the Hobbit, but I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy back in Jr. High and I must say though it's one of the most highly acclaimed fantasy novels, I found it to be extremely boring and tedious to read. Even now I don't think I could stomach it. Compared to the books, Peter's movies were ten times more exciting than Tolkien's books. I honestly don't care who's making the Hobbit, but I'll probably go see it. At least with a new director we can hope that this movie won't last three and a half frickin' hours. X_X

Otaku ron119125 is off to a good start ron119125's Avatar
    Thanks

I read the Hobbit and really enjoyed it. I guess we will have to wait and see what the movie is like. I really did not think that the Lord of the Rings films were getting stale. However a new driector may give a new look to the Hobbit film.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure why they felt stale, I think I just wasn't too into LotRs to begin with. I just couldn't sit through the films more than once.
    That about says it all. Hogwash.

I have all the extended DVD's and the last movie is like 4 hours, and its still no where near stale. The movies were the best adaptation of a novel ever. Pure magic.

I wish Peter Jackson was doing the hobbit, he just did such a superb job on the others. Just hope this new director does a good adaptation of the book, so we dont end up with a Eragon situation.

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

im watching return of the king as i type, and i hate that peter jackson isnt doing it, but i think maybe del torro will pull it off..he is great..we'll see and find out i guess

+ Reply to Thread