+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I Am Legend

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I Am Legend

Just saw "I Am Legend" with my boyfriend and we came out pretty mixed. The first 2 thirds were fabulous and I was in tears at one point (for which I got a lot of shit from my boyfriend later)... but the ending just felt insincere, preachy and I can't help but say I was a little offended. A movie based on a totally theologically-independent Science Fiction film (in which none of the latter half's happenings actually occured) somehow became a heavy-handed Christian message movie. It seems odd that I wouldn't have been "warned" about this by some group of crusading buddhists, jews, muslims or atheiests seeings as the church has done all it can to demand that a film with a supposedly atheist message (The Golden Compass) is out to destroy society as we know it simply by existing >_<;

Seriously... if films like the DaVinci Code and The Last Temptation of Christ incite moral outrage, why the hell do I have to keep watching stuff like this that's designed to make me feel uncomforatble that I'm not Christian "like everyone else"?

I'm perfectly capable of accepting religiousity in the characters... but when the theology invades the narrative of a supposedly secular film: it REALLY hurts the film for those of us who aren't buying what God's got to sell :/

That said, I paid my $10 for "The Passion of the Christ" and was moved by it. But I went in KNOWING it was a film about the Christian religion. I read "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" AND saw the films... and was fine because the religious messages only make themselves obvious to those whom they speak to personally. I don't mind THINKING about religion... I don't like having it crammed down my throat in the context of zombie movies

The Christianity issue aside. The whole thing "borrowed" a lot from Castaway and 28 Days Later... which were both better movies... but seeing New York that empty was pretty wicked and the "quiet" scenes were lovely (and there were more of them than most big-budget action flicks would have bothered with). Will Smith is a competant actor... the dog was amazing... and the sfx work was top notch. If only it had been a more courageous movie and at least attempted to tackle the moral issues and dichotomy between in "good" and "evil" presented in the novel...

Have you seen it?
    What did you think?
    Last edited by tsurara; Dec 15, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
    jessi1 likes this.

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I Am Legend

I have seen this movie...............and to tell you the truth........I have absolutely no idea what I think about it.....
    I mean, Will Smith did an excellent job in this movie.........but the plot of it.......was confusing as hell............and th ending.......well, they could have done better....
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Another book-to-film down the drain?

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

I havent seen he film yet but i bought the book today!! as i dont take things to far i know I would like it just for fun! my one of my best friends said he was in shock while he was watching the film coz he's a religious guy but I dont know!!

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

I remember seeing the original film The Omega man, which this is supposed to be a remake of. I must admit it has been awhile since I saw The Omega man, but I do not recall any preachy religious (sorry if I offend) guilt crap at the end of that.

Perhaps I need to watch it again. How the heck did they get away with doing it here? I heard nothing about it either. I was really looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. I think I will have to see what else is showing. I was taking some of my family, don't think the whole guilt thing will go over well with the Jews in the family. We were going to see the Golden Compass next weekend, so that may be better.

I just don not get how they can do a remake of a film, change the ending into some sort of pulpit film, and think they get away with it.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

that movie had me shaking and crying the whole time...

i'm pretty sensitive, so movies like that are especially "hard" on me. that, and i get easily freaked by the whole "zombie" type scare... you know, dark places that are to quiet and then JUMP tactic, that was hell on my nerves...

almost everything with the dog made me cry, i guess i'm still a little sensitive becuz my dog died a few months ago, so it's hard for me to be around dogs for too long without crying.

that aside, i thought the movie was really good. i'll agree, the somewhat sudden Christian tones was a surprise... but, to me, it felt like that's what it would have come to if that kind of thing happend to the world... the ending seemed beautiful, especially how it felt that the Will Smith character seem to come full circle. also, it felt like your feelings and beliefs about God would come into play if something like that were to happen on the world... and since it takes place in America, that would be tackled more openly and suddenly then it would in other cultures...

i was a little afriad people wouldn't like the movie for the ending... it is still a super good movie and mos-def worth the $10 to get in... but if you don't like those kind of endings, then just walk out the last ten minutes, it's still a good show!

Otaku LEtters Champion, PopWord Champion, Alphabet Soup Champion, Baby Destruction Champion bellocanlver is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    almost everything with the dog made me cry, i guess i'm still a little sensitive becuz my dog died a few months ago, so it's hard for me to be around dogs for too long without crying
    I've seen the movie and it was pretty good. The dog part made me cry because it made me think of my 2 dogs and i really love them. It must of been hard for you and i know it would be hard on me when my doggies die

I think that when they started getting all religious it gave a message. Which was that when the whole world comes to an end people start believing, an example would be the movie "The Mist"
    Temari is so Cool

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bellocanlver For This Useful Post:

Abu Dhabi (Dec 17, 2007)

Newbie maruki is off to a good start maruki's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I thought this was a pretty good movie. It was sad. but yet happy. I think it was entertaining. Also it was great to see my mom jump from time to time. I will admit I even jumped. The start of the movie was a bit confusing but I think somehow it all clash together. I think it's one of those movie where you have to see it twice to understand it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast