Closed Thread

Thread: If you have the answer for this, please explain to me!

Banned Vincent_the_Victorious may be famous one day Vincent_the_Victorious may be famous one day Vincent_the_Victorious's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have the answer for this, please explain to me!

What do the terms, "Fly off the handle" or "He/she was beside him/herself" Mean, and where did they originate? These are very stupid sayings if you read them and actually think about what they mean. If anyone has the answer, a logical one, I will bow down and call you master. (You just won't see it)

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: If you have the answer for this, please explain to me!

What does any of this have to do with "music, movies, TV, and video games"?
    I love my girlfriend.

Banned Vincent_the_Victorious may be famous one day Vincent_the_Victorious may be famous one day Vincent_the_Victorious's Avatar
    Thanks

I heard both of them in some music my stepdad was listening to. Dimebag Darell and David Allen Coe.

Otaku Space Runner Champion HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink may be famous one day HibikiLink's Avatar
    Thanks

They are just phrases used to say that someone was overly angry. Just raged it. up thats all

Thanks alot Sasurihell and Kedar for the sigs and thanks Sammy 65 for the changing pics
    http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...icsclanhf5.gif[x/img]
    (just remove the "x" from the [x/img] tag!

Newbie Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes may be famous one day Badlywornshoes's Avatar
    In a cardboard box. With hand-drawn windows.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_the_Victorious
    What do the terms, "Fly off the handle" or "He/she was beside him/herself" Mean, and where did they originate? These are very stupid sayings if you read them and actually think about what they mean. If anyone has the answer, a logical one, I will bow down and call you master. (You just won't see it)
    Vincent,

As an English and Linguistics major with a mild interest in etymology, I undertook this challenge.

Fly Off The Handle
    Time of Origin: ~mid 18th century
    Reason: This expression comes from U.S. frontier settlers. While repairing something, their axe head would sometimes come loose and fly off the handle. This was not only dangerous, but also held up work for others until it was fixed - much to the annoyance of all.

He/She Was Beside Him/Herself
    Time of Origin: ~500BC (Classical Greek Period) - ~ 200BC (Hellenistic Greek Period)
    Reason: In ancient times, it was believed that the soul and the body could separate and that under great stress the soul would leave the body. When this happened, the person was described as being "beside himself." The word "ecstasy" from Greek origin has the same sense and literally means, "to stand out of."

Hope that helped. I find that almost every phrase and idiom in our language has some history to it.

~Shigure

Newbie Kai_Blackwolf may be famous one day Kai_Blackwolf may be famous one day Kai_Blackwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

i cant tell you where and/or how they originated, but beside themselve means either really shocked or really upset i think and to fly off the handle is to go completely apesh!t at somebody, in a way.
    Blackness covers all I see and all I touch. No feeling of pain, just sorrow. My hand loses grip of the sword I held. And I turn to become a true shadow.

Heavy Metal Goddess CherryBlossom18 may be famous one day CherryBlossom18 may be famous one day CherryBlossom18's Avatar
    a place where the stars shine as bright as the sun
    Thanks

Fly off the handle means you're about to get so mad you could throw something and scream so loud you would almost lose your voice cause that's how mad you are.he or she being beside him or herself means they are so happy they are beside themselves with joy or so angry they're beside themselves with anger.I hope that explains what both phrases mean.If it doesn't then I will say I'm sorry.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Question answered multiple times.
    Closing...

Closed Thread