+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson burns the Bible

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Marilyn Manson burns the Bible

Yesterday, in his London concert, Marilyn Manson burned a bible... again. I think he has done it in every concert this year... There have been many discussions about how legal it is, how ethical and whether he should sit in jail for it (as an english teacher had to sit in jail in Sudan for alowing the children in her class to call a tedy bear Muhamed) surprisingly it hasn't been talked about here.

So I wanted to ask what is your opinion about this. How bad or good this is? Can such act be aproved (because it's such good promotion for him? Maybe he has the right to show his opinion to public?)? And so on.

Maybe some greater fan knows somethig more about why he does it...

Well I am a Christian. Not of the stongest believing ones, but still I felt really, really bad when I saw him doing that and I had an overwelming urge to hide my crucifix...

Before I saw it in life, I felt like: "I don't care- let him do what he wants, he might have some point in it." Because I thought that he is showing his feelngs towards the bible and not the religion, because the bible... is still just a book written by mortal men. But somehow I changed my mind completely when I saw it in life. Ok, he did it once- to show how he feels, but now (he has been doing it in every concert, I persume) I see it is just for his own promotion and I think it is completely unethical.

Also I just think that whatever God might have done to you, however you hate him etc. You have no right to disgrace something that other poeple hold so dear in such a way...

P.s. Decided to put it here since it is about a musician...
    Last edited by Lasura; Dec 06, 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Marilyn Manson burns the Bible

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura View Post
    Yesterday, in his London concert, Marilyn Manson burned a bible... again. I think he has done it in every concert this year... There have been many discussions about how legal it is, how wthical and whether he should sit in jail for it (as an english teacher had to sit in jail in Sudan for alowing the children in her class to call a tedy bear Muhamed) surprisingly it hasn't been talked about here.

So I wanted to ask what is your opinion abou this. How bad or normal this is? Could such act be aproved in any way (because it's such good promotion for him? Maybe he has the right to show his opinion to public?)? And so on. Maybe some greater fan knows somethig more about why he does it...

Well I am a Christian. Not of the stongest believing ones, but still I felt really, really bad when I saw him doing that and I had an overwelming urge to hide my crucifix...

Before I saw it in life, I felt like: "I don't care- let him do what he wants, he might have some point in it." Because I thought that he is showing his feelngs towards the bible and not the religion, because the bible... is still just a book written by mortal men. But somehow I changed my mind completely when I saw it in life. Ok, he did it once- to show how he feels, but now (he has been doing it in every concert, I persume) I see it is just for his own promotion and I think it is completely unethical.

Also I just think that whatever God might have done to you, however you hate him etc. You have no right to disgrace something that other poeple hold so dear in such a way...

P.s. Decided to put it here since it is about a musician...
    The keyword here is:

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura
    ... again.
    People have been burning books since the creation of books.

Just let the little shock rocker have his fun.
    Last edited by Hassun; Dec 06, 2007 at 02:01 PM.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Burning a bible is Illegal? Since when?

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

I said "how legal?" That is- you can discuss whether it is ok, or should be restricted in some way by law or something. In no place did I say: "It is illegal."

@ Hassun:
    Well then you could discuss how good or bad that is...

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

well to me the Bible is just a book, I have differents bible from different religions and I did read it but just to find which one has something new and after that they didnt mean a lot, because it something created by men...anyway we all ready know how Mr Manson is so to all devoted ppl I guess they cant do much and I dont really care as long he dont kill ppl!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I may belive in the bible, but if we pass a law that says we can't burn it, that would be highly discriminatory.

I hate to break it to you, but not everyone belives in the bible, in fact, only One Sixth (about 1.3 billion people) of the worlds 6 billion people believe in it. Thats over 5 billion people who don't. To them, its just a book.

To make it illegal would just be plain idiocy, and Marilyn Manson himself would tell you that.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

I am devoutly Roman Catholic, but I believe that the Bible is only a book. True, it contains the word of God (rather important) and the thought of burning it sickens me, but this is Marilyn Manson . . . he's crazy. You could hardly blame a psych-ward patient for defecating on the Quran if you left it lying about, could you? It's quite similar.
    Last edited by divine_punishment; Dec 06, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    but this is Marilyn Manson . . . he's crazy. You could hardly blame a psych-ward patient for ****ting on the Quran if you left it lying about, could you? It's quite similar.
    Marilyn Manson (Brian Hugh Warner), is not crazy. The stuff he pulls on stage is an Act, and if you think that the stuff he does on stage he does in real life, you'd be sadly mistaken.

He was raised Episcopalian by his mother, he attended a catholic school until he transfered out to attend high school, he studied Journalism at Broward Community College.

He is in fact an intelligent man who knows how to garner attention to make money.

Like Hassun said, leave the little shock rocker alone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast