+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson burns the Bible

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Marilyn Manson burns the Bible

@ Aceman:
    I'm afraid you didn't read my post very well because you really didn't "break anything to me", I myself believe in God and not in the bible.

I'm not saying it should be restrited by law, although it is already- by the laws of ethics.

lol ^^ Devine_Punishment might have some point, he indeed is quite crazy, but... he still hasn't lost his mind... (as aceman said (his post appeared after I posted mine) so it's all for promotion. I guess it's everyones personal opinion to what extent it is ok... And to what extent it is cool. Because, if he is doing it in every concert- it loses any value in the eyes of the audience anyways..

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura View Post
    Because, if he is doing it in every concert- it loses any value in the eyes of the audience anyways..
    Not really. Artists usually tour the world with a certain show. Most people go to only one concert of a tour since they are usually alike and because only the most hardcore fans are willing to travel halfway around the world just to see his show multiple times.

Thanks

Well ok- if you say so, but for me indeed, I looked at it and just though: "Oh... yea... you are burning a bible? So what!? You have done it before..." And each time he said: "This song is just for you, London!" I was like: "Oh yea and I'm an elf- bullsh*t!" Well maybe I just expect too much from concerts and I hate lying and plain showing off too much. I understand though that you can not expect from him to each time think something new up.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

So I wanted to ask what is your opinion abou this. How bad or normal this is? Could such act be aproved in any way (because it's such good promotion for him? Maybe he has the right to show his opinion to public?)? And so on. Maybe some greater fan knows somethig more about why he does it...
    This is normal, people burn things that they hate everyday. Besides in my eyes it's just a book. Like what aceman said - some people believe that the bible is just another book.

is it un ethical? no. How did he commit anything wrong ethically? He burnt a book, he's making a statement. Freedom of speech at it's best. He's not hurting any one and I find it hard to see how any one could find this offensive, partly because I'm not religious myself, partly because people need to get over the fact that there are others out there who don't share your view.

and also as aceman said, the guys not a crazy as people thing. He's smart one, prehaps just expressing his views and beliefs

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Christians have been burning books for years.

I fail to see what the big deal is ^^;

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

abby724 (Dec 24, 2007)

Thanks

Well I'm afraid you are wrong about not hurting anyone. I know even I felt kinda abused (and I am not that religious) and I know some people who would just feel really bad about such destruction of their believes. There are people who are really religious you know and you have to have respect towars them. I think it is wrong to just push your opinion in someones face like that. It would be as if I would be walking up to a Russian person and say: "You are all freaking me out, I had a negative experience with a Russian guy and you know- you all suck!" Would that be ethical? Or would people start calling me racist-kind etc?

Of course he's not a fool. All of his songs have a deeper meaning (he speaks about serious things and I really admire that and I really like his music) and this act had one too. Still I think it is wrong, because of the reasons stated above.
    Last edited by Lasura; Dec 06, 2007 at 01:53 PM.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lasura View Post
    Well I'm afraid you are wrong about not hurting anyone. I know even I felt kinda abused (and I am not that religious) and I know some people who would just feel really bad about such destruction of their believes. There are people who are really religious you know and you have to have respect towars them. I think it is wrong to just push your opinion in someones face like that. It would be as if I would be walking up to a Russian person and say: "You are all freaking me out, I had a negative experience with a Russian guy and you know- you all suck!" Would that be ethical? Or would people start calling me racist-kind etc?

Of course he's not a fool. All of his songs have a deeper meaning (he speaks about serious things and I really admire that and I really like his music) and this act had one too. Still I think it is wrong, because of the reasons stated above.
    I can see where you coming from. Same affect as if some one was burning your national flag with hate? But, he is allowed to express his opinion, as people who burn the flag do and we just have to accepted that people have those views and that they have the right ( in every democratic country) to do so. I wouldn't go as far to say that he was pushing his views onto the audience, he burnt the bible, that could mean many things. I see it as him making a statmeent about something, he just went about it in a different (probably effective way)

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Being [loosely] christian, it doesn't bother me. I thought the Sudan thing with teacher was a bunch of crap too. Extremists are annoying, and thank god for law enforcement keeping creepy church goers and religious extremists off our backs.

Manson's bible burning is just a cliched attempt to look rebellious, as is most rockers' goal. It is more of a political statement than it is a bashing of religion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast