+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Windows Vista

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft Windows Vista

I just got my monthly issue of PC Magazine. It's all about the new Microsoft Windows, Vista, with the article inside that has the awesomely-bad title: "WHY YOU WANT VISTA NOW!" So, I'll write my own little article, a full, in-depth look at Vista, via PCMagazine.

So, here I am reading up on Vista. They say it's going to be like a Windows 95 upgrade from Windows 3.11. The pictures show Vista as a slick OS. There are little, transparent screens and what not. The start menu is also transformed. It seems more difficult now, though they claim it is alot easier. Alot of it also has a sort of 3D feel.

Then I get to the Internet part of the article. The author starts talking about IE 7, and it's new enhanced capabilities, which include: tabbed browsing, streamlined menu bar, antiphasing and antiproofing capabilities. That's right, it's a Microsoft rendition of Firefox. It's nothing but a cheap-ass copycat of Firefox. Oh yea, it has new improved printing support. Shit, how could I forget about the printing support.

Just read this as well: "I long ago stopped using IE as my primary browser because it lacked tabs, but IE7 just might win me back. If you've somehow missed out on the tabbed-browsing revolution, IE7 might give you the shove you need. Tabbed browsing lets you keep a number of Web pages open within a single browser window, using tabs to select among them. To open a link in a new tab, you can click the center mouse button (or the wheel), hold the Control key while you click a link, or right-click a link and choose 'Open in New Tab.' IE7 always keeps a blank tab open, so you can simply click it and enter a new URL. I'm psyched that tabs have finally arrived" - Some ass author from PCmag.

Any of that sound close to heart? That's right, it's all been done before. And although I think including tabbed-browsing is a good idea, that they can't not do, I can't help but saying that Firefox was the first to do it. I don't see why anyone should switch to IE7 for some of it's new components, since it's all taken from Firefox anyway. Oh yea, they also installed RSS, something else Firefox already has. Before I move on, I should also mention that you're able to view your contacts (MSN) on IE7. You can like click on the contact and like click "send mail."

Apparently, there are search bars all over Vista. Windows Explorer has been ravamped, supposedly making file-searching easier. There's even a search bar right at the Start menu, able to search application names, file contents, even e-mails. Supposedly, this is supposed to be nifty, but I can't stand the idea of having a search bar everywhere. Especially for something like locating my files or my applications.

On to the Media. The author calls everything in Windows XP "child's play." It's going to include a photo manager, not the usual "photo viewer" in WinXP. On top of that, you get "beefed-up" versions of Windows Media Player and Movie Maker, none of which I care one bit about. Any person still using Windows Media needs to unregister and just simply stop using the internet. It goes on and on about Photo Gallery thing and Movie Maker, neither of which are important, so on to Security.

There an improved system of User accounts. Don't really care either way about user accounts. But look what it says here, "and now, even Administrators run at Standard level, with a warning from Vista when elevated privilege is recquired. Unfortunately the frequent 'Windows needs your permission...' warnings can get prerry annoying." IE7 in Vista is implemented with antiphishing. I don't know what it is, but apparently, if you try and go on to a website that doesn't have a security certificate, the keyword on IE7 turns red, and access is blocked. There's also a yellow color for "suspicious websites" and green for verified security. Parental controls, blah blah. Vista's Parental Controls system could actually limit access to games based on their name, content, or ESRB ratings. The horror. The administratior can also limit the days and times another user can be on the computer, and even establishes a list of approved programs. Not to mention Activity Monitoring, which reports an plethura of details of the user's actions, in all kinds of things (applications, sites visited, top 10 sites, files downloaded, and more). Windows Firewall is also improved, and can now protect against unauthorized outbound connections. Sucks for all the kids out there with strict parents.

As for Video Games, I'll just write what the author wrote: "Microsoft made a good show of taking up Vista for games, but gamers have remained uninterested, at best, and can you blame them? Thus far the big points have been a rich set of parental controls, pretty icons, and info pages for cataloging your library. Hardly sexy - atleast, not to performance-hungry gamers. Recently, though, a Microsoft representative mentioned something that coult heat gamers' interest up quickly. No, not the exclusive PC release of Halo 2 on Vista. But there is something to be learned from the excitement over being able to play a two-year-old Xbox game. Most of us would consider the Xbox antiquated. It's 733-MHz Pentium 3, 64MB of RAM, and nVidia video chip derived from the now four-generations-out-of-date GeForce 3 would barely be suitable for surfing the net. But because the architecture allows a direct path tp the hardware, it puts on a terrific show with Halo 2 and dozens of other fantastic-looking games."

My basic reaction to Vista is...meh. Just seems like trouble. And if I read correctly, only 38% of the computers will be able to switch to Vista when it comes out.

Any thoughts on the matter? I'd better hope so. I spent an hour writing.
    Last edited by Silverskater145; Apr 24, 2006 at 04:35 PM.

Newbie 4n1m3 $p3(14£1$7 may be famous one day 4n1m3 $p3(14£1$7 may be famous one day 4n1m3 $p3(14£1$7's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Windows Vista

i think windows vista will be a pretty coool os.
    Peace Be Unto You. H4(|{ 7h3 P£4n37!

Newbie Hellion may be famous one day Hellion may be famous one day Hellion's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows Vista does look promising, but the minimum requirements for the system is demanding. I've tried out the beta of vista and I was really impressed of what I saw. The icons looks much better now and the new GUI looks nice. Windows Vista release date has been pushed back like 2-3 times now though... and I think its due to release 2007? not sure. But to those who want to use this new OS make sure your computer will be compatible to it or else you won't be able see the full spec of the new OS.
    Look ye into the darkness and you shall find me there... a me you have never known..

Otaku pigtaru may be famous one day pigtaru may be famous one day pigtaru's Avatar
    Thanks

I've beta tested vista...it's pretty, and have a new search feature along with better gui interface. But again, it's too flashy, and not enough new stuff as far as functionality.

o~Piggy-san~o

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion
    Windows Vista does look promising, but the minimum requirements for the system is demanding. But to those who want to use this new OS make sure your computer will be compatible to it or else you won't be able see the full spec of the new OS.
    That's the problem. Only 38% of the computers today will be able to handle it right off. As it was stated above, even a Pentium 3 processor won't let you view the internet. You can imagine everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion
    Windows Vista release date has been pushed back like 2-3 times now though... and I think its due to release 2007? not sure.
    Comes out for business in November 2006. It comes out for the rest of us sometime in the beginning of year 2007.

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

I would just like to point out that Opera Browser had tabbed browsing long before Firefox did.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frr_vegeta
    I would just like to point out that Opera Browser had tabbed browsing long before Firefox did.
    I've been pwned.

Let's never mention this again.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

I like XP, it works and it fits my needs. Also, I am not a PC gamer so I do not need the newest games which will most likely need Vista. Also, my computers hardware is old enough that it won't support it and I don't need to upgrade anytime soon. My major and my job, hell engineers do research and extensive research on the newest components of computers and designing and building the newest shti on windows 98 and 2000. All this is, is another worthless package, most of the research conducted by scientists and engineers is done using 98 or 2000 anyway.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast