Closed Thread

Thread: Mid-Core Gamers Unite

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Mid-Core Gamers Unite

Reading the news, gaming blogs, hanging out on Gamefaqs or talking to people on Ragnarok online it becomes very quickly evident that two kinds of gamers exist:

hardcore gamers:
    -those kids on RO who have 16 characters (5 transcendant classes) and shout at you when you can't WoE with the guild 5 times a month.
    -that guy who is ALWAYS on Xbox live... ALWAYS
    -people who practice for years to get hiscores on PacMan or Donkey Kong
    -the guy who WILL NOT LEAVE YOU ALONE on Counterstrike. He never signs off and he ALWAYS wants a rematch!
    -the people who hang out on gamefaqs ngg and follow famitsu sales charts, every single update of the SSBB website in realtime and sling insults at "nongamers"
    -that Japanese kid at the arcade who can get "Perfect" blindfolded on the hardest song on the Pop'n'Music machine

casual gamers:
    -mom
    -grandma
    -Japanese businessmen
    -elementary schoolers
    -people with wiis
    -the drunk guys at the bar who want to challenge you to bejeweled

Don't fit either? Have a job? A family? A budget? Think the Next Generation is a bit rich for your blood? Still perfectly happy playing a game on your PS1? Welcome to our world. Finally someone has declared our existance. They've even written us a manifesto!

8bitrocket.com: Blog Display Page

So, are you a mid-core?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Mid-Core Gamers Unite

My 2 eurocents.

1. Save Anywhere

This can really decrease the quality and challenge of games. Saving anywhere is not something I want to see implemented in every game at all.

2. Games Should Cost $.99-$29.99

I'm willing to pay 40 to 50 euros for a game (57 to 70 USD, which is still cheaper than the average price of games out here). Creating games is costing more and more these days. 30 dollars just won't cut it.

3. Reasonable Graphic Choices

This is mainly aimed at PC gaming and I agree that gaming hardware necessities are way overboard. Graphics cards which are more expensive than an Xbox 360 or a PS3 are just ridiculous.

4. Single Player Games

I want to see more emphasis on single player gaming again as well. I've played multiplayer games for a long time but now that multiplayer games are truly becoming big I'm already bored with them. These days I only play multiplayer games VERY rarely. The pressure to make everything multiplayer online gaming can really annoy me at times.

5. Cooperative Games On One Screen

Indeed, multiplayer games can be a lot more fun with the people you're playing with/against next to you in the same room. With the rise of online multiplayer gaming on consoles this type of gaming has decreased, something which I don't like at all.

6. Multi-player Games: Play Anytime, Find Friends Easily, No Fees, Voice Chat Not Necessary

Sounds good to me. The 'need' for voice chat has increased a lot and I don't really like it. (Though I understand why it has increased. In multiplayer tactical FPS gaming you don't really have the time to type everything.)

7. "Casual" Games Don't Have To Be Simple Games

Of course they don't HAVE to be but the very nature of 'casual gaming' is that it's easy to just pick up and play. Thus requiring simplicity.

8. Games Do Not Need to Be 5.5 GB To Be Good

Again, mostly applicable to PC games.

9. No need to be "mature" for the sake of being "mature"

I agree wholeheartedly. And more than that, Mature =/= Violence, swearing, drugs, etc. A mature story is something I want to see more as well.

10. Yes To One-Time Fees, No To Monthly Fees

I am principally against having to 'pay to play' so I agree with this as well.

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

the mid-core manifesto is my new ten commandments.

I have to agree with all points except the co-op on one screen which blows unless you have a giga-normous tv.

I'd classify myself as ex-hardcore since about 5 years ago when I was about 25 I had an epiphany and sold all my rare shite. I'm talking mint Chrono Trigger, Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn, tv tuner for the Game Gear, Suikoden II for PS1, blah blah blah.

incidentally I dont regret any of it, hence my mid-coreness. I'm slowly fleshing out a new collection but quality over quantity this time.

I'm curious to see if others go through the epic purge that I went through in their late twenties.

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Save Anywhere
    -Depends on the game...but if anything I'm against it, if you can save ANYWHERE, ANYTIME than that naturally kills the difficulty of the game. Might be a good idea for little kiddy games though.

2. Games Should Cost $.99-$29.99
    -Sounds just about right. Although I'd easily pay more for games from my favorite developers, which their main game genre is RPG so I usually get my moneys worth. I'd also caugh up a little more for Limited Editions too as long as the extras are worth it.

3. Reasonable Graphic Choices
    -Cant argue with that, it applies to all gaming systems.

4. Single Player Games
    -Love it, but multiplayer options are almost always a plus. (I'd kill to be able to play Disgaea in 2P...and yes, I know the PSP version does that but I dont own a frikken PSP so)

5. Cooperative Games On One Screen
    -They have co-op on split screens!?

6. Multi-player Games: Play Anytime, Find Friends Easily, No Fees, Voice Chat Not Necessary
    -How I'd love to see this come true in all games one day...

7. "Casual" Games Don't Have To Be Simple Games
    -This is common sense, why is being mentioned?

8. Games Do Not Need to Be 5.5 GB To Be Good
    -I'm a home, hand-held console gamer so not really applied to me. Still holds true though.

9. No need to be "mature" for the sake of being "mature"
    -Another obivous point.

10. Yes To One-Time Fees, No To Monthly Fees
    -All of our hopes and wishes.

...I miss being a hardcore gamer though. Damn life and the harsh reality of being an adult. (._.)
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Newbie tentacle king is off to a good start
    Thanks

I'm upper crusty on the scale, but I gotta say this

1. No more slow, boring-ass opening acts in RPGs. Alot of people tell me that Final Fantasy 12 was awesome, but I'm never going to give a shit if they make the story's bait smell worse than my crack. I ain't no catfish.

2. Enough with the franchises. We don't need anymore kingdom hearts games. They already suck. We don't need another Final Fantasy, because you've done the same thing you're doing to kill anime, adding too much dull angst, and not enough creativity.

3. Stop making GTA-esque sandbox games. These games used to be something worthy, but now the market is too saturated with them.

that's all. Court is adjourned.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum Rules located here... Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:

Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread