+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMO's

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

MMO's

Ok ok. Well i searched for MMO and didnt get a hit. So if i missed something and make myself look like a noob let me know.

MMO's have been known to not only bring much enjoyment to people, but also much tradgedy. I myself have not been too effected by greater MMO's such as Everquest or WoW, but i recently(aproximately 3 months ago) got into Phantasy Star Universe. Not the complicated MMO style as the previous two mentioned, but addicting none the less. I myself have sat in a few weekends and played for hours, well maybe like 16, at a time. I have never been so into video games untill i started playing this. So maybe i have fallen prey to the MMO addiction.

My question is not weather they are addicting, since they obviously are, but rather if and how anyone on AO has been effected. I have met plenty of nice people on PSU, many of whom have admitted to calling in sick, taking vacation days, and missing school just to play. Have any on you on here experienced this? Or anything similar?

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: MMO's

I used to play MMO's for like a year and a half of my life. I played Ragnarok Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest 2, Lineage 2 etc. I would play 3 to 4 hours a day on average. But I knew players who would play 5 or 6 hours on the weekdays and over 10 hours on the weekend.

Typical conversation online.

Player: I've been grinding for 12 hours.

Me: damn.

I've played with people I've met online and friends in real life. I really enjoyed playing with so many different people. One guy I went to high school with had MMO addiction really bad. My friend told me he wouldn't even hang out anymore because he would go straight home after school or wouldn't leave his house on the weekend and just played all day.
    He knows he was playing MMO's because he would talk to me on the phone and I would tell him how I was playing with Chris earlier when Chris said he was too busy to hang out.

I finally quit playing MMO's because of a couple of reasons.

1. It's not like a video game you can't beat it. Theres really no end to it. You can play the same MMO for years for 15 hours a day for years.

2. They charge you 15 dollars a month for something you already paid 50 dollars for so it's a huge ripoff.

3. It's time consuming. Unlike a video game you might be pressured to play longer because your party needs your help. I think I played like 6 hours one time when I planned on playing two because I didn't want to leave my party in a jam.

4. If you play long enough you'll think it's real. I'm not kidding you'll be like that guy who killed himself because his supposed "friend" took his "loot."

I'm an old school Phantasy Star player who played the original series on the Sega Genesis. I'm thinking of renting or even buying the game to play the single player mode. Sorry but for the various reasons I mentioned I'm not playing online rpgs anymore. It would proabably be cool to play with you and stuff though.

Hey you should play Monster Hunter for the Playstation 2. Alot of Phantasy Star Online players play the game and they all tell me while we're playing online that Monster Hunter is so fun. Monster Hunter is an action game where you hunt and kill dinosaurs but the main game is where you go online and team up with other "hunters" to kill dinosaurs. It's actually quite fun. I have no idea why so many phantasy star online players play the game though.

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

lol sound fun. Yeah i have played one of the original's on sega. It was all in japanese so it took very long to progress tho.

Yeah i know how you feel on the whole not wanting to leave the pt though. There have been many times where i set a time that im going to quit, ie. in order to sleep, but end up staying much longer due to friends... I have never felt so addicted to anything before, sometimes sorta scarry. I think that i might quit, but i know ill never have the will to. lol

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Well hopefully you'll quit sooner or later or else you'll end up like my friend I mentioned. Just remember it's just a game. Alot of people get carried away and forget that. Do you play with anyone you know in real life?

Btw what race, class, and level are you?

+ Reply to Thread