+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Novels, and Authors

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Novels, and Authors

Quote Originally Posted by Aiora View Post
    there are some great novels and authors out there, who are your favourite and explain why

me i have 2 fav authors, Stpehen King, and Dean Kootnz, they are great novelists of the horror genre and are both quite famous(and they have had some of their books made into movies)
    my fav books by them are The funhouse(DK) Rose Madder(SK) tick tock(DK), Intensity(DK)and Secret Window, Secret Garden(SK)
    I'll always have a fondness for Stephen King's novels, but at this point I much prefer his short stories, particularly ones collected in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes", "Different Seasons", and (the best) "Everything's Eventual". Dean Koontz's ideas are interesting--"False Memory" played out like and referenced "The Manchurian Candidate"--but the style is so formulaic (meet the characters, bad stuff happens, good triumphs over evil, everyone lives happily ever after).

Within the last few years, I've developed more of a taste for humor; the works of Christopher Moore, Terry Pratchett, and George Carlin (seeing him live tomorrow!!) are among the best. Moore's "Lamb"--a fractured take on the missing years of Christ--had me laughing out loud in public, and Pratchett's Discworld series is one of the most imaginative and fun series I've ever gotten into.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I love reading, I've almost got a library going in my house LOL
    any who some of my Favourite Authors:

Michael Crichton: I love how he mixes science and fiction together. Though some bits, when he goes on to explain all the scientific stuff can get a bit boring, he sure makes it up once you get to the action. My favourites are Jurassic Park and Time line.

Stephen King: But only really for the Dark Tower series. I wasn't hooked on the first book though, it wasn't until the second did he get me really interested. I haven't read any other books of his, to be honest, they don't seem to interest me.

J.R.R Tolkien: This guy was a genius for creating the world of Middle Earth, I've never been so interesting in reading and books before this one came out.

Matthew Reilly: Love his books so far, I've only read to, but if your into action you'll love it!. His books are usually based only in a specific area, but it makes for interesting readings, he must research for ages about the military, different areas ( the current one I'm reading is about Antartica). It's proof that if you know your stuff, you can create an excellent fiction novel, based on real places or things.

I've got so many others (like John Marsden) but I'll be sitting here forever writing about them LOL

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    I'll always have a fondness for Stephen King's novels, but at this point I much prefer his short stories, particularly ones collected in "Nightmares and Dreamscapes", "Different Seasons", and (the best) "Everything's Eventual". Dean Koontz's ideas are interesting--"False Memory" played out like and referenced "The Manchurian Candidate"--but the style is so formulaic (meet the characters, bad stuff happens, good triumphs over evil, everyone lives happily ever after).
    That is quite true and I have actually leaned in your direction. Even though, Dean Koontz seems to keep to the path unlike Stephen.

After that accident the man has just lost touch in my opinion. Not that I have ever enjoyed his book really, just I have seen a downfall in quality. Now I am finding romance novels with his name on it now...from what works I have read, that is probably the most frightening he has ever published.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    That is quite true and I have actually leaned in your direction. Even though, Dean Koontz seems to keep to the path unlike Stephen.

After that accident the man has just lost touch in my opinion. Not that I have ever enjoyed his book really, just I have seen a downfall in quality. Now I am finding romance novels with his name on it now...from what works I have read, that is probably the most frightening he has ever published.
    Eh, Koontz's following the straight storyline gets boring after a while. If I start to read a book and can guess accurately what's going to happen, just by knowing the author's style, I quickly lose interest.

Admittedly, "Everything's Eventual" was the last work by King that I read, and that was published in 2002. As for the loss of quality, his early works were unlike anything out at the time, maybe unlike anything that had been written before. "Carrie", "Pet Sematary", and "Misery" are practically American classics. The accident probably had a lot to do with the difference in his writing, but who, even the same author, could follow up on such great works? Besides, a lot of King's appeal is in his way with words and descriptions; even when writing about the most horrific things one can think of, his prose is about as close to poetry as it gets.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Brent-Enix is off to a good start Brent-Enix's Avatar
    Thanks

Currently, my favorite author now would be D.J. MacHale, the author of the "Pendragon" series. He fills it with so much suspense, and the characters there interact with each other with real human characteristics. The next in my list would be P.W. Cantanese, the author of "The Mirror's Tale" and some other fantasy genred books (I've forgotten most of their titles).

mmhmm.

Otaku sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto may be famous one day sachiko ueto's Avatar
    Thanks

well, i really like paulo coehlo. i like his very direct style of narrating a story. he's not verbuous, and i like that. i like his 'the alchemist' and 'veronika decides to die' books most.

They say you can't use oversized signatures here on AO.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    Eh, Koontz's following the straight storyline gets boring after a while. If I start to read a book and can guess accurately what's going to happen, just by knowing the author's style, I quickly lose interest.

Admittedly, "Everything's Eventual" was the last work by King that I read, and that was published in 2002. As for the loss of quality, his early works were unlike anything out at the time, maybe unlike anything that had been written before. "Carrie", "Pet Sematary", and "Misery" are practically American classics. The accident probably had a lot to do with the difference in his writing, but who, even the same author, could follow up on such great works? Besides, a lot of King's appeal is in his way with words and descriptions; even when writing about the most horrific things one can think of, his prose is about as close to poetry as it gets.
    I can't deny the fact the man has a great deal of talent, but he seems to have kept the pace when releasing titles. He may have had some classics, but that didn't stop him making novels or even slow down really. In comparison to his other novels, not the classics, the qualiy has seemed to fall greatly. Any fan can wait those 5-10-15 years for the new epic, but during that wait, the novels that are presented matters a great deal.

All this talk just reminded me of my favorite horror author and book.
    The Damnation Game: written by Clive Barker.
    I actually prefer this writer over any other when it comes to horror. Admittingly I haven't read many of his books so far, but that is enough to see some quality.

I grew up watching Hellraiser for crying out loud, and I only just recently knew this man existed! It is no wonder the his work caught my eye and easily captured. I think he creates many more fantastical and imaginative worlds than I have ever seen before; his brand of piecing together the paranormal with the real world is genius in my opinion.

The Damnation Game is no different and brings more than a poetic sense of view, intertwining a great deal of philosophy and psychology in my opinion. The understanding of characters and their origins fascinate and awe, almost making it seem as though it is merely a reminiscence. Strangely enough, towards the end I am always frustrated and caught between the two forces(evil and good), unable to takes sides, or want to for that matter. It isn't a simple evil vs. good or good vs evil, save the princess, or shine light in the darkness; the heroes seem to be almost as inhuman as the hellish beasts they confront at times.

Clive Barker places more emphasis on the human aspect than the inhuman; without interference from the "benevlotent creator" , the side story of human interaction and personal demons are motivational. The world isn't always some fairy tale with the knight defeating the dragon, but more like some pimp facing his personal trials to overcome crack addiction and tendancies to rape.

Otaku Reese may be famous one day Reese may be famous one day
    Thanks

My all time favourite Authors are :

J.D Salinger (The Catcher in the Rye) and Chuck Palahniuk. (Fight Club)

I admire the way both authors are able to capture society in all its crap glory. I recommend a read for any cynic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast