+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Open World vs Linear games

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Open World vs Linear games

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    Mass Effect took a multiple-choice road... allowing you to "change" the story and events. Not every choice was significant, but it felt like you could allow your character to grow in any form you wished them to grow. The story was clear as you poked at it and warped in it... You had tons of choices, but all of them had to do with the story somehow. Making it a beautiful fusion of sandbox-based-linear-storyline.
    Ummm.... Mass Effect took the theatrical approach as well, and while GTA 4 doesn't have as many "choose your path" elements as Mass Effect does, the two took the same approach (For instance, when your chasing one guy in GTA 4 and he gets to the top of the building and falls off the edge and is hanging there, you have the choice to kill him or save his life. Also, based on the choices you make in the game and who you associate with,
     click to show spoiler
    )

For me, it doesn't really matter, I like both equally and won't choose one over the other.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Open World vs Linear games

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Ummm.... Mass Effect took the theatrical approach as well, and while GTA 4 doesn't have as many "choose your path" elements as Mass Effect does, the two took the same approach (For instance, when your chasing one guy in GTA 4 and he gets to the top of the building and falls off the edge and is hanging there, you have the choice to kill him or save his life. Also, based on the choices you make in the game and who you associate with,
     click to show spoiler
    )

For me, it doesn't really matter, I like both equally and won't choose one over the other.
    It did take a theatrical approach, but I saw it more as "Pick and choose your destiny! Choose carefully!" rather than theatrical... I see theatrical more as "Extra drama, no or few choices to change the ending".

And yeah, GTA has some choices, but too few compared to the size of that game for me to consider it being the same formula as Mass Effect... friggin' huge game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2