+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Original vs. Cover

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Original vs. Cover

A thought that I've had for years has come back to me in a way that I can articulate clearly.

My hypothesis is this: For a given song with one or more covers, the version of the song you hear first is the one you most prefer or believe, "is better", whether it was the original version or the cover.

I'll give you two personal examples. The first time I heard the song "Holy Diver" it was played by Killswitch Engage. When I discovered that this song was in fact a cover, I listened to the original "Holy Diver" as performed by Dio and found myself feeling that although KsE was paying homage to a song/artist they admire, I personally preferred KsE's version over the original, and to this day feel it is a "better" version of the song.

Now an opposite example. I heard the song "Simple Man" first by Lynyrd Skynyrd and then heard a great cover of it by Shinedown. Although I absolutely love Shinedown's cover, I can't help but feel that Skynyrd's original is still "better" than Shinedown's.

So now I ask in general, do you feel that this hypothesis holds true? Why do you feel this way?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Original vs. Cover

There are some songs that I like the originals over the covers, and some that I like the covers over the originals.

For the second part, the covers I like are the two Michiel Jackson covers done by Fall out Boy and Alien Ant Farm, and the many covers that Disturbed has done (Couple Phil Collins songs, one by the Police, and one more that i'm too lazy to look up...)

If the cover is done well, I will most likely like it.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

for the songs where you like the covers over the originals, do you recall which version you heard first? I like most covers too, but I have found that if I heard the cover before the original I like that one better, while if I've heard the original first, I prefer that over any cover I hear afterward. Do you feel the same way, or are you just indifferent?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I found that people often think that the first version they ever heard was better. Be it a cover or the original. It must be something inside our brains telling us that which we heard first is 'correct'.

In my opinion, the original version of the song is better more often than vice versa.

Otaku Kurai is off to a good start Kurai's Avatar
    Thanks

It depends which one I like the sound of more.

Some examples:

I heard Green Day's cover of Knowledge by Operation Ivy before the original Operation Ivy version, and I preferred the Operation Ivy version.

I heard the original version of Iron Maidens 'Fear Of The Dark' first, but I preferred the cover that Fightstar did.

I don't like Kelly Clarksons Since U Been Gone, but I like A Day To Remembers cover of that song.

Newbie cherrywolf is off to a good start cherrywolf's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that it depends on the different way that the artists put their own feel to it.
    Like Justin Timberlakes What Goes Around...Comes Around I seriously hated it, but then I heard Alesana's version of it and I instantly loved it.
    As well as some other songs that I have heard that are mostly pop songs that metal, screamo and hardcore bands have done. Some of them sound awesome while some...are worse than the original. :3 So I think for most people it just depends what genre of music that you like to make it appeal to them.
    why are there no games where you play as zombie. T^T

Otaku clover may be famous one day clover may be famous one day clover's Avatar
    Thanks

im normally more into the origional artists versions because you get more of the feeling of the song from someone who put alot of thought into it.

but there are some that i side with the cover now especially with american idol who redo the songs in their own way...

i love johnny cash and his version of ring of fire
    but latley ive noticed that im more into ring of fire by adam lambert

most of the time like i said i side with the origional but sometimes theres a cover that comes along and moves me more. Because of the feeling im getting from the cover instead of the origional, and ves versa

..........nothing is true, everything is permitted..........

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I can appreciate covers that bands play to pay homage to other artists. However, I believe that the song is covered for a reason--because it's a classic. I think that some covers shouldn't be played and others are just as good as the original song, but never better. Piggy-backing Aceman's example: 'Smooth Criminal' by Michael Jackson is an AWESOME song and Alien Ant Farm can't compare to MJ. The song was good, don't get me wrong. They just can't do it like Michael did. Another example would be TLC's 'Creep', which was covered by Afghan Wigs. Awesome cover! That one, in my opinion, is just as good as the original. Johnny Cash has some pretty kick-ass covers too! I think anything he covers is GOLD. I'd even go as far to say that he was the only one capable of making cover songs better than the original. He's been around for a while. But, I really can't say that the cover will be better than the orignal in most cases. The original usually holds a place in my ears and in my heart that can't just be replaced by a copy. Even if that copy is just as good. The original remains classic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast