+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC bias?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

PC bias?

I recently sold my old, outdated Dell to a friend of mine because I bought a new MacBook for college a few months back. We're required to learn Mac OS in one of our graphics courses. Sadly, the only games I can buy and play (that I know of) are The Sims 3 and World of Warcraft (the latter of which, I own).

Anyway, in order to play any free to play MMOs or any other awesome games (like Left 4 Dead), I either have to install some crap to my Mac--Like Windows or Wine)--or, I have to buy an entirely new PC (which I don't think I can really afford at the moment). Are game developers being biased because of a long run of success with PCs or are they simply too lazy to learn how to program a game for Mac OS?

What's your opinion?
    Last edited by atomik_sprout; Jan 03, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Left something out...

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PC bias?

Primary reason: audience. There are simply more PC users out there in the world than Mac users. If you're a company, your goal is money so you want as many potential consumers to buy your game as possible.

Another reason is customization. The Macs have much more fixed memory, processors, and video cards compared to PCs, where upgrading is pretty easy, and relatively cheap. Consequently, this also gives developers a chance to make more in-depth games wheres with Macs it'd be like programming for a console system.

It's not that developers are lazy, it's just that there's no profit in making games for Mac, so people simply haven't done it.

Despair not atomik, there is another way. Are you familiar with Steam? Steam offers tons of PC games that have also been made for Mac, check them out:
    Welcome to Steam

registering and installing Steam is free, and any games you buy off Steam are saved to your account, so you can access them and install them to any computer you want. (as long as the minimum specs are there, of course.)

You could also suck it up and get a Windows OS for your Mac.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Jan 04, 2011)

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Point taken. There is a bigger customer base with PC users. I've considered Steam but haven't taken time to look at it until today. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    You could also suck it up and get a Windows OS for your Mac.
    No, that's okay. I'd like to have less chance of getting a virus.
    I'll just get a cheap PC when I can afford it. I have gaming consoles that'll keep me occupied, I suppose

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

if your doing that then try going of brand, you can get them for very cheap and you don't have to worry when they finally die ^_^
    death and life are one and the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    if your doing that then try going of brand, you can get them for very cheap and you don't have to worry when they finally die ^_^
    True, but I can get a Dell or a Gateway for fair prices too. The last PC I had was a Dell and it was AWESOME for being an outdated computer. It was like eleven years old when I sold it and it had a wifi card that was installed during the last hardware update. It runs like brand new, for the most part (My friend is actively using it currently). Toshibas aren't bad either. Shippo101 has one and she says her computer is great.

Personally, I'd rather get a well known computer. Primarily for the warranties and great customer service. ^_^

Otaku Dragons2801 is off to a good start Dragons2801's Avatar
    in a place beyond the reaches of time, gripped with sorow, pain driving everything to insanity.
    Thanks

there is one more option, you can dual boot a system, split your computer in to two partitions and you can have two OS.

within the darkened realm of the mind, is endless shadows, wrenching pain, warming love, and burning desires.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I already suggested that, but noooo. He's too good to use Windows despite the fact that's been his primary OS the last several years.

Hell, my roommate runs linux and windows xp on his computer. Reason? Linux is faster for browsing, doing simple tasks etc, windows is good for gaming. If you don't want viruses, stop looking at so much pr0n atomik. XD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    I already suggested that, but noooo. He's too good to use Windows despite the fact that's been his primary OS the last several years.

Hell, my roommate runs linux and windows xp on his computer. Reason? Linux is faster for browsing, doing simple tasks etc, windows is good for gaming. If you don't want viruses, stop looking at so much pr0n atomik. XD
    No, I never said I didn't like Windows. Had Mac OS not been a requirement for classes this semester, I'd have a new PC. I DO want a new PC, I just don't wanna install Windows on an apple computer. If I'm gonna be vulnerable to more malware, I'd rather do it on a computer that's not over $1000 bucks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast