+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 3

5.00 M33-6 solking may be famous one day solking may be famous one day solking's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ps3?

Well what you probably saw before was a prototype version of the PS3. Before they officially produce a system they make many variations of it as well as different names in order to see what gets the best feedback. Like with the Nintendo Wii. Before it was the "Wii" it as called "Revolution" and it was all black. You may have seen a concept model of the PS3 but the one in that picture is the official look that is being sold now.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: PlayStation 3

Merged the two ps3 threads.

Banned TJMSniper may be famous one day TJMSniper may be famous one day TJMSniper's Avatar
    Thanks

well i own one myself, and its pretty cool. in the long run i definitely see it beating the xbox 360, and nintendo wii, even though im going to save up for the nintendo wii, the ps3 graphics are awesome, and its worth saving up 600 dollars for one, the 20g ps3 has less features, and can only store one third of the memory that the 600 dollar 60g ps3 can store. i didnt buy mine myself though, i saved up half, and so did my friend.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

@Exoparadapsyphobia;

So one game does not acutally use the entire blu ray disk? So? What does that prove? Most PS2 games don't use the entire disk, does that mean they should have stuck with CD's? Give it time, the 'big guns' still have to come out. Both MGS4 and FF13 have promised to push the whole blu ray thing to it's limits. The cost is in the blu ray and cell processor technologies. As the system matures more and more games will take full advantage of the PS3's full capability.

Launch games are usually not very impressive. Zelda does seem to be the exception to that rule, but it better be. Heck, I still remember the crap games from the PS2 launch. I got a few of them over the years and i've gotten rid of every one of them. But i'm not getting my PS3 based of launch titles, but based of the franchise games I already know and love.

My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like the PS3 at all, to me its actually a down grade. The reason is not because of the system itself but because of the games for it. The only one i want is DMC4.
    Last edited by Hassun; Dec 11, 2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Made it readable.

1st Sig finished 12-20-09

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    @Exoparadapsyphobia;

So one game does not acutally use the entire blu ray disk? So? What does that prove? Most PS2 games don't use the entire disk, does that mean they should have stuck with CD's? Give it time, the 'big guns' still have to come out. Both MGS4 and FF13 have promised to push the whole blu ray thing to it's limits. The cost is in the blu ray and cell processor technologies. As the system matures more and more games will take full advantage of the PS3's full capability.
    Okay, for one, this is not simply a brush off "it's a launch game" thing. The game, arguably the PS3's only real success only used up 20% of the disc. Do you know how little that is? That amount of data could easily fit on a DVD, Sony promised to show that Blu Ray was a necessity and so far they haven't with any game. MGS4 and FF13 will deffinetely take up a lot more space than any other game becuase half of it is cutcenes, which take up more space than just about anything else on a game. Filling a disc up with cutcenes certaintly doesn't justify the use of the technology. And if Sony can't justify the use of Blu Ray, and soon, then they are going to be in s**t up to their necks.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Dec 11, 2006 at 08:09 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    Okay, for one, this is not simply a brush off "it's a launch game" thing. The game, arguably the PS3's only real success only used up 20% of the disc. Do you know how little that is? That amount of data could easily fit on a DVD, Sony promised to show that Blu Ray was necessity and so far they haven't with any game. MGS4 and FF13 will deffinetely take up a lot more space than any other game becuase half of it is cutcenes, which take up more space than just about anything else on a game. Filling a disc up with cutcenes certaintly doesn't justify the use of the technology. And if Sony can't justify the use of Blu Ray, and soon, then they are going to be in s**t up to their necks.
    That's intresting...considering Hideo Kojima (director of MGS) fully stated that they would take advantage of the PS3 in both blu ray and core processor to really ramp up the game experience. Hideo Kojima feels that the future of gaming is not in graphics but in the AI of the game play. MGS4 will push the AI to it's limits by having the AI remember every action you make and having those consequences effect the game play. He says the only thing that makes it possible is the size of the blu ray disk and the core processor itself.

Square-Enix had originally planned on making FF13 for the PS2...until they saw the capabilities of the PS3. They scrapped the PS2 project, including developed code, because the PS3 allowed them the technology to tell the story the way they wanted it to be told. Yes, part of that is cut scene glory (as any RPG worth it's salt should have good cut scenes) but the blu-ray and core processor was a huge part of that decision as well.

Why would Sony be "s**t up to their necks" if the blu-ray is not an immediate feature of gaming? Does it some how lessen one's enjoyment of the system? Have I somehow been ripped off because the game I have in my hand doesn't use all the blu ray space? Should I be upset every time I buy a PS2 game because only one game that i know of uses the entire first disk (Star Ocean)? Why not just judge the game on it's own merits and not judge Sony as a success for failure because a developer does not use the full potential of media and machine.

I just don't understand all this anti-PS3 sediment on the net lately. I'll I've ever heard is how much the PS3 is going to cost and now no one will buy it. That's been shot down, hasn't it? Then it was, it's not really worth the money. PCworld magazine says it is. Now there's the whole wasted technology aspect. There's less then 30 games out for the system and were supposed to make a call on how good the system is/isn't or rather it's being used to it's full potential?

Give it time. If were sitting here 2 years from now and all that's improved is the graphics, then i'll start to agree with you. But judging the success/failure of the PS3 on launch titles just seems silly to me. The games that will tax the system are yet to come. And some of those games we won't see until were hearing/seeing rumors of the PS4.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    That's intresting...considering Hideo Kojima (director of MGS) fully stated that they would take advantage of the PS3 in both blu ray and core processor to really ramp up the game experience. Hideo Kojima feels that the future of gaming is not in graphics but in the AI of the game play. MGS4 will push the AI to it's limits by having the AI remember every action you make and having those consequences effect the game play. He says the only thing that makes it possible is the size of the blu ray disk and the core processor itself.
    AI capabilities will not give the PS3 any advantage over any gaming system except the Wii, atleast not in this gen. The new Xbox 360 exclusive Bioshock promises to have the most advanced ecosystem based AI on any platform yet, and more advancements are sure to come. And certaintly we haven't seen any advancements in the graphics yet, other than perhaps lighting, and that could be due to several factors that has nothing to do with the system itself. For instance your t.v. settings. I think the max MGS4 could achieve would be to be somewhat equal on terms of AI with the 360.

Why would Sony be "s**t up to their necks" if the blu-ray is not an immediate feature of gaming? Does it some how lessen one's enjoyment of the system? Have I somehow been ripped off because the game I have in my hand doesn't use all the blu ray space? Should I be upset every time I buy a PS2 game because only one game that i know of uses the entire first disk (Star Ocean)? Why not just judge the game on it's own merits and not judge Sony as a success for failure because a developer does not use the full potential of media and machine.
    If you're not upset by the fact that you're paying $600 for a system that isn't delivering on what was promised you're either not as smart as you think or an over zealous Sony fan. Sony will be " in s**t up to their necks" if they can't prove that Blu Ray is needed becuase that is the only card they have to play when it comes to justifying the price point with casual gamers, that and graphics, which has also yet to be seen as superior. Who is going to buy a system for $600 that hasn't been proven worthy of the pricepoint when there is a another perfectly capable system like the 360? This has already been seen taking effect, since some have read the reviews on the system many have simply whent out and bought a Wii or 360 (the shortage this holiday season undoubtedly also contributes to that).

I just don't understand all this anti-PS3 sediment on the net lately. All I've ever heard is how much the PS3 is going to cost and now no one will buy it. That's been shot down, hasn't it? Then it was, it's not really worth the money. PCworld magazine says it is. Now there's the whole wasted technology aspect. There's less then 30 games out for the system and were supposed to make a call on how good the system is/isn't or rather it's being used to it's full potential?
    No, that hasn't been shot down. Currently there are around 10,000 units sitting on Ebay, plus another couple thousand sitting in store shelves, that haven't been bought since launch. PCworld Magazine? This isn't a PC, it's a gaming console, they are two different things. This relates to what I said before, PC gamers usually know every aspect of the technology they are using and how to fully exploit it. Casual console gamers do not, and don't want to have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to fully tap into their machines, as with the PS3, which is why they bought a console in the first place. PC gamers might like it, but a casual gamer who doesn't have the time/money or drive to fiddle around with it won't. I'll get to the whole wasted tech thing in a sec -

Give it time. If were sitting here 2 years from now and all that's improved is the graphics, then i'll start to agree with you. But judging the success/failure of the PS3 on launch titles just seems silly to me. The games that will tax the system are yet to come. And some of those games we won't see until were hearing/seeing rumors of the PS4.
    Yes, they have to yet to come, and yet to come they will stay for a very, very long time according to some analysists. Some predict that it could take up to 3-5 years in order to fully tap into the PS3's power. Most gamers don't want to wait that long, and if any can then it's hats off to their patience . This is the reason why rumors are flying that there will be no PS4. Or that it will at least skip a generation before being marketed, Sony wouldn't want to release another console when it's predecessor has yet to be fully realized.

I'm not saying that the PS3 is a crappy console, I'm saying the tech it utilizes is ahead of its time, and should have been used later on when developers and gamers knew how to use it, or Sony could have made it easier to tap into. On the contrary, that is saying that this console is spectacular (and anyone who says different obviously doesn't know what they're talking about), but the fact that it will take such a long time to develop is a huge disadvantage. Any gamer who knew their stuff and kept updated would probably see what I am talking about, and most, despite their fandom, might decide to take the straigher road(360 or Wii) instead of the winding street known as the PS3.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Dec 11, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast