+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 3

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PlayStation 3

AI capabilities will not give the PS3 any advantage over any gaming system though. The new Xbox 360 exclusive Bioshock promises to have the most advanced ecosystem based AI on any platform yet...
    I never claimed that any AI system would be a competive advantage for the PS3. If Bioshock can deliver on their promise, great for them. I say go for it!

more advancements are sure to come.
    Yep, i think that is safe to say that is true of all three systems..which I beleive is what I was trying to point out.

If you're not upset by the fact that you're paying $600 for a system that isn't delivering on what was promised you're either not as smart as you think or an over zealous Sony fan.
    Because perhaps I understand the capabilities of the system and agree with you that games will get better over time. Second, prove to me that it hasn't deliverd yet. I think i'll make a more informed decission when there are more games out from companies I actually know and who's games I like. If game manufactueres can't deliver on the specs of the PS3 it is not Sony's fault. But I have no fear that great companies llike Square-enix, Capcom, Konami, Ubisoft and others will make the PS3 sing with joy and delight by the time they are done with it.

Currently there are around 10,000 units sitting on Ebay, plus another couple thousand sitting in store shelves, that haven't been bought since launch. PCworld Magazine?
    Please prove this to me. Provide some links to these stores if you can. Even better, just buy one for me and I'll pay you back. Every store in town here is out and they are not expecting any in. For that matter, when one of my friends went to buy a PS3 from wal-mart.com, they litterally sold out in the 5 minutes he took to decide on what games he would buy. So, while your picking mine up, you can get one for him too.

PCworld Magazine? This isn't a PC, it's a gaming console, they are two different things. This relates to what I said before, PC gamers usually know every aspect of the technology they are using and how to fully exploit it. Casual console gamers do not, and don't want to have to deal with the hassle of figuring out how to fully tap into their machines, as with the PS3, which is why they bought a console in the first place. PC gamers might like it, but a casual gamer who doesn't have the time/money or drive to fiddle around with it won't. I'll get to the whole wasted tech thing in a sec -
    Which is exaclty why PCworld did the review...to tell the average person if the console was worth it. While they did mention that you could run Linux on it, they flat out told you that you could find another site to tell you how to set it up.

Why not read it for yourself...it's right here.

Some predict that it could take up to 3-5 years in order to fully tap into the PS3's power.
    You mean like it did with the PS2 (or the Playstation for that matter)? I don't remember anyone calling the PS2 a huge collossal failure because it's best games have only been realised at the end of the console cycle. Just the opposite is true. A lot of people are appriciateive that Sony is still giving the public PS2 love instead of just porting perfectly good games to the PS3.

Games on consoles will always improve over time...the best part is, we'll always get the best stuff NOW! That's what improvement is all about. If this is it for the PS3 or the Wii or the 360...and we can't expect better graphics, better game experaince, and better value...then yes, I would agree with you that it would not be worth the $600 they want for it. But sense we both agreed that games would get better over time I don't even see this as somthing to discuss.

This is the reason why rumors are flying that there will be no PS4. Or that it will at least skip a generation before being marketed, Sony wouldn't want to release another console when it's predecessor has yet to be fully realized.
    Really? Then why did Microsoft? EA games felt very upset over MS's decission to release the 360 when they felt the Xbox had pleanty of life left in it. Black was an incredible game...absolutly ground breaking. And it was for the Xbox and PS2.

Please provide me with a link for no PS4 rumors. Last time I checked, Sony was dedicated to the PS3. If MS is thinking ahead to the next XBOX, then perhaps we should be wondering why they are not dedicated to the 360. But then, I havn't heard any rumors about the next Xbox either...

Any gamer who knew their stuff and kept updated would probably see what I am talking about, and most, despite their fandom, might decide to take the straigher road(360 or Wii) instead of the winding street known as the PS3.
    Personally, I will disagree with you. I know gaming, considering i've been doing it for the last 26 years. No matter how good a system is, it's domonance totally depends on it's titles. If Square left Sony tomarrow for either of hte other sysetems...it'd leave with them. My value comes from the software released on it. The Hardware is just a huge bonus in this case.

The winding street is the Wii and 360. I KNOW what i get for my $600. I don't have to get any addons to get the 'full power' of my system. I can't say that with the Wii or the 360. If I want HD-DVD...I got to shell out $100 for a external drive. Once I do that...and i"m gonna have to to stay current...then it's not much of a savings over the fully integrated PS3, now is it?

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Because perhaps I understand the capabilities of the system and agree with you that games will get better over time. Second, prove to me that it hasn't deliverd yet. I think i'll make a more informed decission when there are more games out from companies I actually know and who's games I like. If game manufactueres can't deliver on the specs of the PS3 it is not Sony's fault. But I have no fear that great companies llike Square-enix, Capcom, Konami, Ubisoft and others will make the PS3 sing with joy and delight by the time they are done with it.
    Proof: Link
    Please prove this to me. Provide some links to these stores if you can. Even better, just buy one for me and I'll pay you back. Every store in town here is out and they are not expecting any in. For that matter, when one of my friends went to buy a PS3 from wal-mart.com, they litterally sold out in the 5 minutes he took to decide on what games he would buy. So, while your picking mine up, you can get one for him too.
    Proof: 7115 items found for Playstation 3 console Link . There were over 10,000 last time I checked. There are also other figures out there about how many PS3’s have sold; but the fact that the system was in such high demand at its debut because of the immense shortages, these numbers say as to how the much the want for one of these consoles is dropping.

Which is exaclty why PCworld did the review...to tell the average person if the console was worth it. While they did mention that you could run Linux on it, they flat out told you that you could find another site to tell you how to set it up.

Why not read it for yourself...it's right here.
    That is just proving what I said, do most casual gamers even know what Linux is? Or what it does? I’ll bet you dollars to doughnuts that they don’t. I do, because some kid told me, not every casual gamer has a nerd in there class who suddenly starts spewing information on Linux.
    You mean like it did with the PS2 (or the Playstation for that matter)? I don't remember anyone calling the PS2 a huge collossal failure because it's best games have only been realised at the end of the console cycle. Just the opposite is true. A lot of people are appriciateive that Sony is still giving the public PS2 love instead of just porting perfectly good games to the PS3
    I wasn’t aware that the PS2 launch was such a failure? In fact looking back I rarely saw any articles criticizing its launch lineup. However, the PS3’s is definitely abysmal, and this isn’t the PS2. This is the proclaimed Holy Grail of next generation gaming by Sony. And so far all we’ve seen is an old rusted cup filled halfway with crappy launch games and neutral graphics compared to the 360. This is nowhere near as negatively reviewed as the PS2 launch. That is why this is worth discussing.

Please provide me with a link for no PS4 rumors. Last time I checked, Sony was dedicated to the PS3. If MS is thinking ahead to the next XBOX, then perhaps we should be wondering why they are not dedicated to the 360. But then, I havn't heard any rumors about the next Xbox either...
    The next Xbox has already been confirmed by Microsoft to currently be in the research stage. And I assure you that the Xbox was quite dead when Microsoft released the Xbox 360. The only game that was really keeping it afloat was Halo and maybe some old classics like Fable. Black was good, but it was really the last push in terms of software that was made with the Xbox 1.

Microsoft isn't dedicated to the 360? Why do you think Microsoft has stopped first and third party support for the Xbox 1? Hmm... maybe so they can concentrate more on their new Xbox 360? Yup, sounds perfectly logical to me, and it's showing. They've released plenty of first and third party high quality games and accessories since launch. So I wouldn't be too quick to say they've abandoned their very successful, one year old product. Infact the situation is the complete opposite.

Furthermore, I’m not going to spend two hours searching through a forum to find an old rumor post, but I can assure the topic of there not being a PS4 was very popular and widely discussed. I think that’s at least one thing I shouldn’t have to spend my time proving.
    Personally, I will disagree with you. I know gaming, considering i've been doing it for the last 26 years. No matter how good a system is, it's domonance totally depends on it's titles. If Square left Sony tomarrow for either of hte other sysetems...it'd leave with them. My value comes from the software released on it. The Hardware is just a huge bonus in this case.
    If you’re talking in terms of title dominance, then the PS3 is flat out of luck. One of the PS3’s last strongholds on the gaming community was exclusive titles, which we have been seeing a very steep decline in lately, that is if you’ve been keeping updated. One major loss is the Grand Theft Auto series, which powered the PS2 for such a long time. Well now it’s being ported over to the 360 as well as with some others. Also there is a rumor around that MGS4 might make its way to the 360, which the rumor was started by a very reliable source. The man who started it has made several successful premanitions about the gaming industry; if I didn't know the history of this man, I would automatically count it as crap, but I don't count him out (and neither should you) because he has a very high success rate (I'll find an article on that later). If the PS ever did have any title dominance, it is steadily on the decline.

The winding street is the Wii and 360. I KNOW what i get for my $600. I don't have to get any add-ons to get the 'full power' of my system. I can't say that with the Wii or the 360. If I want HD-DVD...I got to shell out $100 for a external drive. Once I do that...and i"m gonna have to to stay current...then it's not much of a savings over the fully integrated PS3, now is it?
    You don’t need to add anything on to get the full power of the Wii or 360. They’re fine how they are, and so is the PS3. But what separates the PS3 from the Wii or 360 is choice. With the PS3 you are not given a choice on what hardware you wish to add on, you are forced to buy what they think is best for you, whereas with Microsoft or Nintendo, you can buy what you think is best for yourself. Maybe you don’t like the freedom of choice, but I sure as hell do. If you choose not to buy the HD drive, you don’t have to, and you save $100. Whereas you don’t have a choice with Blu Ray, say bye to that extra $200 that might not even be worth it until 5 years from now (or at all for that matter); that's the thinking of Sony, and it's not a very user friendly type of thinking, according to Time magazine and just about everyone else.

Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Dec 12, 2006 at 07:38 AM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Why do you think Microsoft has stopped first and third party support for the Xbox 1? Hmm... maybe so they can concentrate more on their new Xbox 360? Yup, sounds perfectly logical to me, and it's showing. They've released plenty of first and third party high quality games and accessories since launch. So I wouldn't be too quick to say they've abandoned their very successful, one year old product. Infact the situation is the complete opposite.
    I don't plan on entering this discussion but I will take my time to laugh my ass off at this statement.

Microsoft is more than able to handle both the Xbox as the Xbox360 at the same time.
    The reason they completely abandoned the product is so everyone would be forced to buy a 360.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Proof: Link
    Could you provide more then a link to a front page? Which article am I supposed to be reading?

Proof: 7115 items found for Playstation 3 console – Link . There were over 10,000 last time I checked. There are also other figures out there about how many PS3’s have sold; but the fact that the system was in such high demand at its debut because of the immense shortages, these numbers say as to how the much the want for one of these consoles is dropping.
    All this proves is that people don't want to pay an inflated price for a PS3 when they can wait 3 months and get one in March when supply has caught up with demand in traditional retail outlets. I still don't see any links providing me with actual retail outlets, and not auction sites, showing me where i can buy my PS3.

You also seem to forget the fact that all of these PS3's were actually purchased from retail establishments. I want a PS3, but if I could have bought one at launch and sold it for 2000-3000 bucks on ebay (which did happen quite a bit) I would have put it up in a heart beat and bought a new one in march. If it didn't sell? Oh we'll, i have my PS3 now and I only paid retail for it. Either way, the demand was there and Sony sold out of the product.

That is just proving what I said, do most casual gamers even know what Linux is? Or what it does? I’ll bet you dollars to doughnuts that they don’t. I do, because some kid told me, not every casual gamer has a nerd in there class who suddenly starts spewing information on Linux.
    Um, not it does not prove your point. People go to PCworld and PCMag all the time because they can get product reviews/discriptions for any and all types of electronic gadgets from Laptops to tv's. Computer geeks do not go to PCsworld to learn ANYTHING! Both those magazines are for basic computer users. That's like saying tech geeks listen to Kim Kommando "Digital Goddess" to get their tech geek fix. Have you heard the show? It's for beginners, not hard core 'linux' geeks. All the hardcore computer geeks avoid the show like the plague.

I wasn’t aware that the PS2 launch was such a failure?
    Either was I. But there launch games were lack luster at best. Which is what your saying about the PS3, isn't it?

Microsoft isn't dedicated to the 360? Why do you think Microsoft has stopped first and third party support for the Xbox 1? Hmm... maybe so they can concentrate more on their new Xbox 360? Yup, sounds perfectly logical to me, and it's showing. They've released plenty of first and third party high quality games and accessories since launch. So I wouldn't be too quick to say they've abandoned their very successful, one year old product. Infact the situation is the complete opposite.
    I never said that MS wasn't dedicated to the 360. I'll I was saying is that if MS is dedicated to the 360 a year after launch why would Sony be wondering about the PS4 a month after it's launch? That makes no sense.

If you’re talking in terms of title dominance, then the PS3 is flat out of luck. One of the PS3’s last strongholds on the gaming community was exclusive titles, which we have been seeing a very steep decline in lately, that is if you’ve been keeping updated. One major loss is the Grand Theft Auto series, which powered the PS2 for such a long time. Well now it’s being ported over to the 360 as well as with some others. Also there is a rumor around that MGS4 might make its way to the 360, which the rumor was started by a very reliable source. The man who started it has made several successful premanitions about the gaming industry; if I didn't know the history of this man, I would automatically count it as crap, but I don't count him out (and neither should you) because he has a very high success rate (I'll find an article on that later). If the PS ever did have any title dominance, it is steadily on the decline.
    Then please find the article. Until you show me the article or give me a name it's just speculation that I can't even argue against.

GTA is not the sole reason to buy a PS2. Frankly, neither is MGS (mind you, Final Fantasy is, but that's just me. ) MGS has been releasing games for other platforms for years now...and I don't see it killing sales of MGS on the PS2. I personally have all three last gen consoles and I play them all. But every single duel console game I have, I've gotten them on the PS2, even if I have to buy them again. I found NFS Underground horrible on the Xbox. Yeah, the graphics were great but the game ran like crap. So, I borrowed a PS2 copy and it was fantastic. No, the graphics weren't as good, but the game control was much better. I'll take the PS2 version. Same with NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Had it for the Game Cube and it was a fun Game. Borrowed it for the PS2 from a friend and it was a much better experience. Players will choose the system for the games and the experience. I find the Xbox to be a distant third to the Game Cube. Of course, I like the PS2 most...but it has the games I want most of the time too.

Your milage may vary...which is your right. My loyalty is always to the game compnay first, then to the system. I like the Sony exclusives you have not mentioned, like Final Fantays or Devil May Cry much better then the Xbox exclusives like Halo or Fable. But that's just me.

You don’t need to add anything on to get the full power of the Wii or 360. They’re fine how they are, and so is the PS3. But what separates the PS3 from the Wii or 360 is choice. With the PS3 you are not given a choice on what hardware you wish to add on, you are forced to buy what they think is best for you, whereas with Microsoft or Nintendo, you can buy what you think is best for yourself.
    Nope, I'm all about freedom of choice. And if you think you can pick and choose components with Wii or 360, go right ahead. But you know, when I had my N64 I had to buy the ram expansion pack to play zelda and perfect dark. Sure, I could have chosen to not get the upgrade, but then I can't play the games I really bought the system to play. So, in the end, I had to buy the upgrade our I just wasted money on an inferior N64 that didn't play what I wanted.

My PS/PS2 I had to buy....oh wait, I idn't have to buy anything to play any game on it. I just put in in the drive and it worked. Now that is freedom! No ram upgrade for me to go from FF7 to FF8 or FF9. Just the same device.

And your image...'classy'. If that's really the last word you can bring to your argument then I'm finished here. I have no intention of getting into a litteral 'your a poopy head' debate with you. if you don't like it, don't buy it. But allow those of us who seriously wonder what you see in the Xbox 360 to enjoy Sony's offering in peace.
    Last edited by Hassun; Dec 12, 2006 at 01:14 PM. Reason: little spelling edit

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like the PS3 at all, to me its actually a down grade. The reason is not because of the system itself but because of the games for it. The only one i want is DMC4.
    Wow... thats the biggest load of crap I've ever heard... :/ sorry but the PS3 is the best out of the next gen consoles and it doesn't have many games now because it just came out but in like 3 months it would have left X-Box 360 out of business in my mind...

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    but in like 3 months it would have left X-Box 360 out of business in my mind...
    Huh? Your spelling makes it difficult to understand this post.
    You can't say that like it already happened. Also you would have to be pretty stupid to think the 360 will be out of business three months from now.

Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm just saying the X-Box 360 won't be popular in 3 months in my mind because everyone is gonna want the PS3 more :/

THE RULES!

I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I'm just saying the X-Box 360 won't be popular in 3 months in my mind because everyone is gonna want the PS3 more :/
    What's with the "in my mind". A question like that is not up to opinion you know.
    It's either a fact or it isn't.
    And of course we can not verify what's going to happen three months from now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast