+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 3

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PlayStation 3

There is presently only one thing I am concerned about right now.

Hironobu and Nobuo formed a new company to start off fresh and not be under the pressure of Square-Enix for a few reasons and started mist walker. This doesn't disturb me.

MISTWALKER

Also, their games will be on the XBOX 360 so they won't be exclusives on the PS3 and I have no idea if they will be ported....This does disturb me in the choice of the PS3 a bit.

That's about all I've heard so far that I found somewhat disturbing to my personal ears. Otherwise, the PS3 still seems just as appealing as the PS2 first seemed to me. the FIRST time I really saw something on the PS2 was when a tech show demonstrated a few previews of the games that would come on the PS2...which I was very amazed at the time.

My only comment I'll say in this discussion is to agree with Barronmore on one thing:

Time Will Tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Otaku Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay may be famous one day Skillzpay's Avatar
    Location Location: Location Location: Error!
    Thanks

How many of you who have or are planning to get a 360 and/or a PS3 have a HDTV 720p resolution or higher already?

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    So what? How does the ability to upgrade the system without having to replace the hardware mean that there will not be a PS4? Company release says otherwise. Some times rumors... are just rumors.
    PS4 In 2010 Claims Sony. Major PS3 Upgrades In Between

I will agree that it will impact PC game sales since I know several serious PC gamers who swore they would never go console who are buying it. Their only concern is whether it will support a mouse and keyboard.
    Nice. Well, at least I didn't say "no PS4 confirmed", then I would have really made my self look like an idiot . I don't think it's such a good thing though that Sony will release another console so soon, 2010? That only gives people 4 years to fully get aquanted with such a complicated system. And if Sony is planning to release a console that soon that means M$ is going to try and keep up with them by shifting into overdrive. Can't Sony and M$ just lay off gamers for a good 6-7 years and let them enjoy themselves? Sheesh. Pretty soon they're going to make it not worth buying a console at all, I think you might actually spend less updating a PC then buying a new console every 4-5 years - I'll have to look into that. Anyways I think it's a much better idea to just make a good console and then continuosly update it. People might just decide to stick with the consoles out now for 7-8 years rather than spend $800 on the new ones in 4-5, I know that's what I'm going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay
    How many of you who have or are planning to get a 360 and/or a PS3 have a HDTV 720p resolution or higher already?
    I have a 360 but dont' have HD yet, but my dad is planning on buying an HD here pretty soon.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Newbie jackpsp may be famous one day jackpsp may be famous one day jackpsp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia View Post
    Nice. Well, at least I didn't say "no PS4 confirmed", then I would have really made my self look like an idiot . I don't think it's such a good thing though that Sony will release another console so soon, 2010? That only gives people 4 years to fully get aquanted with such a complicated system. And if Sony is planning to release a console that soon that means M$ is going to try and keep up with them by shifting into overdrive. Can't Sony and M$ just lay off gamers for a good 6-7 years and let them enjoy themselves? Sheesh. Pretty soon they're going to make it not worth buying a console at all, I think you might actually spend less updating a PC then buying a new console every 4-5 years - I'll have to look into that. Anyways I think it's a much better idea to just make a good console and then continuosly update it. People might just decide to stick with the consoles out now for 7-8 years rather than spend $800 on the new ones in 4-5, I know that's what I'm going to do.

I have a 360 but dont' have HD yet, but my dad is planning on buying an HD here pretty soon.
    I have to say I agree with you on this one they should let us fall in love with the Ps3 like we did the Ps2 then make the next-next gen.
    I got a HD around July its Sweet! my lil bro wont let it be he is all was on it with his 360.
    From the Diprashon of failure comes the strive for Success.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

@Soldat of life:

I totally have to agree with you about Mistwalker studios. That is the ONLY thing that would even get me to consider a 360 from a pawn shop. I'm looking forward to seeing what they will offer in the future.

I don't think it's such a good thing though that Sony will release another console so soon, 2010? That only gives people 4 years to fully get aquanted with such a complicated system. And if Sony is planning to release a console that soon that means M$ is going to try and keep up with them by shifting into overdrive. Can't Sony and M$ just lay off gamers for a good 6-7 years and let them enjoy themselves? Sheesh. Pretty soon they're going to make it not worth buying a console at all, I think you might actually spend less updating a PC then buying a new console every 4-5 years - I'll have to look into that. Anyways I think it's a much better idea to just make a good console and then continuosly update it. People might just decide to stick with the consoles out now for 7-8 years rather than spend $800 on the new ones in 4-5, I know that's what I'm going to do.
    It would still be cheaper to buy a new console every 4-5 years then upgrade your computer. I have friends that see no problem dropping $400 for a new video card to upgrade it to play ONE game. I spend $600 on a new console and can play anything ever released for it. It's still a savings.

Now, I totally agree with your wish that we could enjoy these consoles for more then 4-5 years. But traditionally the console cycle is about 5 years. Sony has sometimes held off on releasing a console until after the competition, sometimes not. But the reality is that sooner or later SOMEONE is going to start off a new gen of consoles. That someone is usually the peroson who feels that they can get the most out of it. Last time it was MS. They needed the 360 to be competitive with Sony and released it early...even if the xbox still had some life in it. We'll see who it is this time. In the meantime, everyone is going to be planning their new console, but we'll see who pulls the 'trigger' to start the console war over again. The question is rather or not 'positioning' (going first) is really the key to winning the console war. If it is, then we'll see whoever is last doing their best to be first. If it's not, then there really is no reason to create a new console until the current one is really maxed. But your right, each company will have to come out with a competing box once the first fellow 'pulls the trigger'.

It's really annoying but it's something you get used to after awhile. I started with the Atari 2600 (a truly rocking system for it's day) and have owned every major console since then...and a few minor ones too. But with the Xbox and now the PS3 I can see myself converting older units into more useful computer boxes after the system is dead and gone (instead of selling them on ebay for pennies). The Xbox makes a kickin media center and ftp/file server (yes, I said it - the xbox is a Ftp box - all you computer geeks can start crying now - all my geek friends do) and once the PS4 comes out (and it will) the PS3 can be turned into a GREAT linux box! I'll go down to the pawn shop and pick up a new linux box for $30 bucks. That won't bother me at all. ) So, even after console 'death' these boxes will still find uses.

The point is, as long as it is profitable for a company to create a new system, they will. Even if the PS3 is never maxed out, new technology will come along that will make the gaming experience BETTER then it would be on the PS3. And, if by some miracle, Sony has managed to create the perfect box that will last forever....then they have WON the console war right then and there....for the very reasons you stated.

But sooner or later the PS3 will be outdated and new hardware will make it obsolete. Even if it's 20 years from now, we'll have something that will surpass blue ray or a game that will (somehow) cripple it's processor. The question is when. When does it become better to replace the PS3 with the PS4? That's the golden question each company has to ask themselves.

sucks for us, doesn't it?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    There is presently only one thing I am concerned about right now.

Hironobu and Nobuo formed a new company to start off fresh and not be under the pressure of Square-Enix for a few reasons and started mist walker. This doesn't disturb me.

MISTWALKER

Also, their games will be on the XBOX 360 so they won't be exclusives on the PS3 and I have no idea if they will be ported....This does disturb me in the choice of the PS3 a bit.
    I'm waiting to see where their games go with bated breath I assure you. As I have said before, for me it's all about the game. If I can only afford one system I will still go with whoever has Final Fantasy. Which is why I don't expect to buy a PS3 until FFXIII Adagio comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillzpay View Post
    Not already no. The TV won't last much longer however and I'm sure you can guess what we'll be replacing it with. 37" LCD TV with 1080p. Since we have some time till planning to purchase the PS3 I'm sure it will come first.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    @Soldat of life:

It would still be cheaper to buy a new console every 4-5 years then upgrade your computer. I have friends that see no problem dropping $400 for a new video card to upgrade it to play ONE game. I spend $600 on a new console and can play anything ever released for it. It's still a savings.
    Ah, then I guess it is cheaper. I don't deal with computer gaming much so I didn't really have an idea of price figures. But $400 for a video card just to play a new game? That's insanity .

But with the Xbox and now the PS3 I can see myself converting older units into more useful computer boxes after the system is dead and gone (instead of selling them on ebay for pennies). The Xbox makes a kickin media center and ftp/file server (yes, I said it - the xbox is a Ftp box - all you computer geeks can start crying now - all my geek friends do) and once the PS4 comes out (and it will) the PS3 can be turned into a GREAT linux box! I'll go down to the pawn shop and pick up a new linux box for $30 bucks. That won't bother me at all. ) So, even after console 'death' these boxes will still find uses.
    I have to agree with you that the PS3 will deffinetely find some alternative uses once, if ever, support has stopped for it. I saw a video of someone installing Linux on it and it bassically functioned just like a normal computer would, which thoroughly impressed me.

The point is, as long as it is profitable for a company to create a new system, they will. Even if the PS3 is never maxed out, new technology will come along that will make the gaming experience BETTER then it would be on the PS3. And, if by some miracle, Sony has managed to create the perfect box that will last forever....then they have WON the console war right then and there....for the very reasons you stated.
    I agree. If Sony decided to just have a great console that would be constantly updated instead of just selling new ones every five years, that would give me(and allot of other people) much more reason to jump on the Sony bandwagon. I'd much rather just have to stick with one console that's constantly being bettered and improved upon than have to buy a new one all the time. That is if M$ didn't do the same. But if they didn't, Sony would outright flatten them. Even M$ fanboys would have to see the reason in that.

But sooner or later the PS3 will be outdated and new hardware will make it obsolete. Even if it's 20 years from now, we'll have something that will surpass blue ray or a game that will (somehow) cripple it's processor. The question is when. When does it become better to replace the PS3 with the PS4? That's the golden question each company has to ask themselves.
    Hmm, you're right on that one. But already planning to make a new console before Sony or M$ has barely had a chance to see where it will go kind of hints at that they're not asking themselves this question, but rather the question if people would be willing to buy it, necessary or not.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to agree with you that the PS3 will definitely find some alternative uses once, if ever, support has stopped for it. I saw a video of someone installing Linux on it and it basically functioned just like a normal computer would, which thoroughly impressed me.
    I haven't seen the video's yet personally, but I've been keeping up with Linux on the PS3. So far there are 3 different versions of Linux that have been installed (one is officially approved of by Sony). Unfortunately, at the current time only about 1/2 the power of the system is available. The extra 256 ram for graphics (the Rambus type ram) is not usable at this time but Sony is actually adding PS3 improvements directly into the Linux kernal (the heart of Linux). In theory there is no reason why, by the end of the PS3's life, that any version of Linux that supports the PPC architecture could not run Linux and take full advantage of the PS3's capabilities. That is SO exciting to me.

So, for the non-geek inclined what does that mean? It means that you can turn your outdated PS3 (when the PS4 comes out) into a kickin Linux machine that will not only be a solid workhorse computer but would be a truly excellent media center, playing Blu-ray, DVD, and all the video/audio codexs there are. Sigh....I want one so bad.

But that's itleast 5 years down the road for the new adopters and around 7 for the rest of us. It's goona be good! Unless your a big tech geek like me and have no problem running Linux on your PS3 today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast