+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Poughkeepsie Tapes...WTF?

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

The Poughkeepsie Tapes...WTF?

Okay - I saw previews for this a few months ago...
    It's a faux-documentary about a serial killer that haunts Poughkeepsie, New York... And they found over 800 tapes of him torturing/mudering women...

What do you think about this?

I mean, horror movies are gorey, violent... They are made to scare you.
    But since so many horror films have been taking it up a notch... This seemed like the only way to reach people's real scare-O-Meter.

I saw the trailers... I saw some clips...

And trust me, it takes a lot for a horror movie to scare me!! I'm a part-time special-effects make-up artist... lots of latex and fake blood=zombie! I love this stuff...

But a woman whimpering and begging for her life, in a faux documentary seems wrong... I personally think it's going too far... Perhaps it's because I am a survivor of a violent act, and I can't stand seeing things like this.

Serial killers are scary enough in real life - Why do something this extreme?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Poughkeepsie Tapes...WTF?

If people stop paying to go see them, Hollywood will stop making them.

We have no one to blame but ourselves for the increase in exploitative ultraviolence.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    If people stop paying to go see them, Hollywood will stop making them.
    Agree. The public demands more and more realistic violence and gore in their horror flicks, and Hollywood is happy to oblige. Special effects have gotten so good now that people demand a certain level of quality in the movies they pay to see, and horror films are no exception. Unfortunately, getting closer to realism in horror means showing the most gruesome and terrifying things that humans are capable of, or at the very least the most horrifying things we can imagine.
    Last edited by gren; Mar 21, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

With the success of gornography films like the Hostel and Saw series it's no wonder this film is made. They can make films as gory as they want as far as I am concerned. As long as they remember that the story has to be worth something too. Something the Hostel and Saw series completely lack.
    Gore alone doesn't make a film good. So even though I call myself a gorecreeps inc. member I'll be the first to say how shitty the Saw and Hostel films are.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well its like what ever there is enough horror movies about pychos out there so its like what ever and turing a real story about a guy killing women into a horror movie is wrong really its like it really happened dont do that its not right.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm, what about a female serial killer torturing men?? I think if they did that it'll be a breath of fresh air for this genre. It is kind of like that movie "misery"

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Hmmm, what about a female serial killer torturing men?? I think if they did that it'll be a breath of fresh air for this genre. It is kind of like that movie "misery"

They've done that plenty of times... Check out 'The Audition' - A Japanese horror film... Pretty disturbing, actually. "Misery" freaks me out a lot. lol!!

I agree that it's our fault for paying to see stuff like this...
    I'll be the first to admit to paying to see a TON of horror/gore flicks...

Gore is interesting to me because I know it's fake. I like to see how they do it... What techniques and materials they use... Things like that.

I've worked on some cheap... I mean... VeRy low-budget short films for some of my friends. They wanted gore, gore, gore, and more gore... Thinking it would make the film interesting ((I can't really argue - I'm just the make-up/special-FX artist, not the director)) and I agree that it doesn't make the film. ((Hostel and SAW are prime examples - Thanks for pointing that out Hassun))

I guess what bothers me about "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" is how it's not "fun" horror movies you go to see with your friends... Because let's face it, we all like to be scared and grossed out. Things like SAW is certainly not real. But "The Poughkeepsie Tapes" is taking it to a level that makes me cringe. I guess it could just be me... but I know other women who have been victims of torturous violence will feel the same way.

It really shows how people in today's world are so used to seeing stuff like this, that it may not even be shocking to some people. >.>;;

+ Reply to Thread