+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-reviewing classics

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Re-reviewing classics

Ever since the Wii's Virtual Console and Xbox Live's Arcade came out, multiple reviewers have been re-reviewing classic video games, and giving them much lower scores than the original review. The thing is, the reasons they give for such low scores are questionable because of the standards set in this generation. For example, a review of Kid Icarus(VC) scored a 5.1 on gamespot, because of Graphics and audio being "bland", and difficulty supposedly being a problem. Another example would be Streets of Rage(VC), where they basically rate it low based on the fact that they've played too many beat em up games, and once again, sub par graphics. Not only has this type of re-reviewing been done for games, but it has also been done for classic movies and books as well.

Is it wrong to go back and review a classic again for the sake of comparing it to this generation? What do you guys think of this?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Re-reviewing classics

It's wrong that they feel the need to review them again. The only thing you should be able to review about those games is how well they ported/converted it.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

Reviewing classics is not right,to judge them against todays games of course they gonna look out dated thats why there called classics
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see how they can call themselves reviewers by comparing the classics to todays standard. Jesus, of course it's gonna have dated graphics when they were made back before the advancement in current gaming technology. Must be a bunch of young kids who nevered played the orignal games when they were first released who only now what it's like nowadays, They have to put themselves back when the games were released and go easy on them. If they really need to review them, they should be reviewing them based on the technology that was available back then, not now.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I don't like the idea of them discrediting games that helped sculpt the industry, but on the flip side, I think I see their reasoning. A majority of us grew up around those games and know their worth, but alot of times when people look at a review for a game, they don't know anything about it. If a kid who has so far grown up around playing say just the last generation's games (gc, PS2, Xbox) the difficulty compared to SNES, Sega, Atari's generation, is enough to turn some people away. Graphics and sound are a priority these days, so gameplay and difficulty sometimes are considered bad points to a game.

I as a gamer who had the priviledge of experiencing the retro games when they were the top quality, I realize that the reviews are written for the younger generation of gamers. Although I value the opinion of the major game critics, I don't let them decide what is a good or bad game. I decide.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    Although I value the opinion of the major game critics, I don't let them decide what is a good or bad game. I decide.
    There's alot of truth to this statement which many people hold, and I agree with it. The only thing is I do depend on reviews to tell me if a game is worth playing or not to a certain extent. If I completely disregarded reviews I would end up with a lot of bad games(as I have before) that I wasted my money on. I just think that reviews should not contain scores, as it's very hard to summarize multiple pros and cons about a game into a single, valid score.

Quote Originally Posted by deodaclan18
    I don't see how they can call themselves reviewers by comparing the classics to todays standard. Jesus, of course it's gonna have dated graphics when they were made back before the advancement in current gaming technology.
    Some reviewers find it easy because some(if not most) of our hand held games in this generation still feature 2d graphics and features, which are comparable to old school games.

Another thing I find hard for reviewers to do is to rate a remake. Nintendo is highly known for its remakes of past games, whether Mario, Metroid, or others. Because the game is a remake, they tend to compare the classic title with the remade title a lot, which I think is the wrong thing to do. It should be rated as a stand alone title, so more honest reviews can be made.

+ Reply to Thread