+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Retro Gaming

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Retro Gaming

Very simply, I'd like to know what your experience has been over the years with videogames starting from your first or most loved system. If possible at least starting with the original NES/Famicom. If your idea of retro gaming is the Nintendo 64 then this thread is going to get old fast, at least for me.

Please don't post a laundry list of systems...if you had a Commodore 64, Intellivision, Atari, Turbo Grafix, NES, Genesis, etc. thats great. But what I want to know is which one you started with and enjoyed the most, and how you've come to your current system.

Is there a company that you have remained devoted to all these years? Nintendo, SEGA, NeoGeo, etc.

Also, do you think retro gaming is overrated? I've thoroughly enjoyed "classic" games in the past. Pac-man, Pole Position, Dig Dug etc. but to be honest none of these titles can hold my interest for more than a few minutes anymore. Maybe retro gaming for some is just that one gem that they can play for hours and hours.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Retro Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Very simply, I'd like to know what your experience has been over the years with videogames starting from your first or most loved system. If possible at least starting with the original NES/Famicom. If your idea of retro gaming is the Nintendo 64 then this thread is going to get old fast, at least for me.

Please don't post a laundry list of systems...if you had a Commodore 64, Intellivision, Atari, Turbo Grafix, NES, Genesis, etc. thats great. But what I want to know is which one you started with and enjoyed the most, and how you've come to your current system.

Is there a company that you have remained devoted to all these years? Nintendo, SEGA, NeoGeo, etc.

Also, do you think retro gaming is overrated? I've thoroughly enjoyed "classic" games in the past. Pac-man, Pole Position, Dig Dug etc. but to be honest none of these titles can hold my interest for more than a few minutes anymore. Maybe retro gaming for some is just that one gem that they can play for hours and hours.
    playing video games old school? it's never overrated for me and it's still the best. mostly fighting and rpg games.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Otaku Kairu is off to a good start Kairu's Avatar
    Thanks

My first system I played was a Reg Nintendo. My parents bought it for themselves as their first anniversary, but from the time I old enough to first able to play video games I was a huge fan of Mario. More specifically Super Mario Bros. 3. My parents love of video games faded but, mine grew. On my 4th or 5th birthday they bought me a Super Nintendo. It greatly expanded my tastes for video games, that was when I was becoming fond of the game Donkey Kong Country.

Nintendo was, and has been my favorite company. Their systems are very well made and last a lifetime it seems. My Reg. Nintendo still works fine to this day amazingly enough. I am sure most people who had bought one could say the same.

Retro games can never become overrated. It is the stuff we grew up on. It is almost like saying babies milk is overrated....but then again I may be taking that a step too far.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    playing video games old school? it's never overrated for me and it's still the best. mostly fighting and rpg games.
    I can totally agree with ya on that one! ^_^

The best games are the old school games--ESPECIALLY the fighting and RPG games!! Those were most of the games I owned back then, LOL.

Here's how I became the video game nut I am today...

I first started gaming with the Sega Master System. It wasn't mine, but I went to my God-parent's house to play it almost every day. I mainly played Dragon Boy 2 (I think that's what it was called, it's been forever!). Finally, my parents caved in a year later and got me an NES, way back in 1985 when they first came out. I had just turned five that year. ^_^

I played that for a loooooong time, collecting up to about 25-35 games, losing about ten to theives and turning red from blowing in to my games in order to get them to work, LOL. I turned 11-12 and got a Sega Genesis on my B-day. I was the most excited kid on the block--and the only one with a Genesis at the time. That's when I became a die-hard Sega fan! I would argue with my best friend for DAYS about Sega being much better than Nintendo (if he was still in town, we'd probably still have the same argument to this day).

Three or four years later, I got a part-time job during the school year, bought a SNES, played nothing but Ranma 1/2 and Megaman X on it (in between those times, I would go to my friends and play his Playstation), gave it away when I signed up for the Army and went gameless until about 1999. That January, I got a Playstation and played nothing but fighting games and RPGs. Then the following September--after months of waiting and bragging about my pre-order--I got me a Dreamcast (being the Sega nut I am).

I spent about $2000 on that thing all together (games, accessories, etc...) and I'm glad I did. I have it still! ^_^ I'm in need of a new one though, due to age. These days, the only thing I really play is X-Box and PS2/PSP/PS3. Bought the X-Box for myself three X-mases ago, sold the PS2, I play 59wayz's PS2 now, LOL. Bought the PSP for myself around my B-day THIS year and got a PS3 (60 gig hard drive, baby!) for $275 a few months later.

I still have all of my relics (save the PS2), though I am short a few games. But I'm glad I kept them all! I'm planning on handing them down to my son, one stage at a time. So once he's old enough to pick up a controller and play (which should be relatively soon), I'm gonna give him my NES, then he can work his way up to the next console when his skills have improved. ^_^ I won't have to really buy any games for him, unless he wants one for some next-gen console--which I'll probably already have by then.

**Power to the Players!!**

Otaku Oroboros Champion nexusolus is off to a good start nexusolus's Avatar
    Thanks

The first two systems i owned(since i cant remeber which i got first) would be the atary, and nintendo. Then came the Genesis,and SNES.

My favorite system would have to be the SNES. To this day i love going back and playing Megaman x-x3, Super Metroid, Mario Kart, Super mario, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario RPG and the seven stars. Great games those.

Made by me.

Otaku Blackbird is off to a good start Blackbird's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the first system was NES and playing super mario a lot then SNES came with good RPG games and everything.

Otaku For Life - YouTube - MyAnimeList

Click on my signature to go to ProBlackbird's Blog

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

The first system I got was an NES. I loved to play Super Mario and The legend of Zelda. I hated the awful reset button that if you wer'nt carefull you would erase all your memory. The sorry things about the Nes was blowing in the carterige and the buttons gave you blisters. Despite all that it is still one of my favorie system. Duck Hunt was reallly fun too.

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

thank god you guys are atleast going back to NES/SNES, kudos! Loved that golden age of RPGs on my SNES. Final Fantasy II, III (6), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast