+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIP Robert Jordan

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

RIP Robert Jordan

The fantasy author Robert Jordan is dead.

I can hardly believe it! This last year has been a tough one for me... and while he wasn't an actual friend or even a man whose books I particuarly enjoyed: I'm sad and a bit stunned to see him go.

Some background:

When I was about 14 years old, I read the first "Wheel of Time" book and passed it on to my father. The two of us read the first three together... and when the fourth came out, he borrowed it before I even got a chance to read it. The fifth was my Christmas gift to him...

After that, I think both of us lost interest with the plot (which didn't seem to be going anywhere)... but I remember that I shared those books with him and that we enjoyed them. Jordan, like Eddings, Auel and Tolkien became a big part of my memories with my father.

My father passed away last October in a head-on collision. He was killed instantly. When I went home to the United States to go through his things and was told by my stepmother of 2 years to "Take what I want" because she'd probably just throw the rest out: the first thing I went for was his bookshelf... and even if only five of Jordan's books were on it: they were well-loved with yellow pages, torn covers and at least one having fallen into a bathtub. They're mine again now... and while I don't remember anything about them except that I once named a stuffed dragon "Perrin" after my favorite character, I'm actually looking forward to reading them again.

What a way to come full-circle.

So here's a thread for Mr. Jordan and the fantasy fans who enjoyed his work. Share your own Robert Jordan memories, talk about his books or just be sad for a few minutes before going to watch Family Guy

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: RIP Robert Jordan

While I myself am not a fan of Fantasy novels (I read Science Ficiton when it comes to books, favorite authors include Timothy Zahn, Michael Jan Freidman, Peter David, Keith R.A. DeCandido, David Mack, Christie Golden), My dad read them like they were going out of style, and Jordan's books are on his bookshelf.

The only book collection that my dad has that out numbers fantasy is my dad's political/military thriller collection, which has signed hard cover copies of Tom Clancy's Sum of all Fears and Rainbow Six.

The Literary world morns a great loss.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The fantasy author Robert Jordan is dead.

I can hardly believe it! This last year has been a tough one for me... and while he wasn't an actual friend or even a man whose books I particuarly enjoyed: I'm sad and a bit stunned to see him go.

Some background:

When I was about 14 years old, I read the first "Wheel of Time" book and passed it on to my father. The two of us read the first three together... and when the fourth came out, he borrowed it before I even got a chance to read it. The fifth was my Christmas gift to him...

After that, I think both of us lost interest with the plot (which didn't seem to be going anywhere)... but I remember that I shared those books with him and that we enjoyed them. Jordan, like Eddings, Auel and Tolkien became a big part of my memories with my father.

My father passed away last October in a head-on collision. He was killed instantly. When I went home to the United States to go through his things and was told by my stepmother of 2 years to "Take what I want" because she'd probably just throw the rest out: the first thing I went for was his bookshelf... and even if only five of Jordan's books were on it: they were well-loved with yellow pages, torn covers and at least one having fallen into a bathtub. They're mine again now... and while I don't remember anything about them except that I once named a stuffed dragon "Perrin" after my favorite character, I'm actually looking forward to reading them again.

What a way to come full-circle.

So here's a thread for Mr. Jordan and the fantasy fans who enjoyed his work. Share your own Robert Jordan memories, talk about his books or just be sad for a few minutes before going to watch Family Guy
    I feel like I've been punched in the gut . . . . . . . . . Will his last book be finished?!

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw a small article about him in the newspaper earlier. I knew there was something wrong with his heart but I didn't know exactly what it was. I am a huge fan of his writing and am saddened by the fact that there will never be a new one. I guess I'm still a little stunned at the moment.

I heard he had a secretary for the sole purpose of keeping facts strait in "The Wheel of Time" series, who knows he might have written enough for her to peace it together for fans. I for one want closure on a series that long and in depth.

RIP James Oliver Rigney Jr.
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I can honestly say I have never even heard of him.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

like hassun, the name sounds familiar, but thats about it. but i am sorry that he died.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

+ Reply to Thread