+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Science Fiction: Authors, their styles and characteristic plot Devices

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Science Fiction: Authors, their styles and characteristic plot Devices

Ah, yes, It has been a while since I last tried to start a thread, they tend to end up falling straight on their face, but here goes another try.
    Outside of watching anime and reading manga, I am an avid fan of literature, mostly of the science fiction and horror genre's...but I am also well versed in alot of classics by names such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Milton, Verne, Dickens, Machiavelli, etc. For instance some of my truly favorite authors are Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, Albert Camus, Niche, Robert A. Heinlein, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, and Philip K. Dick. All of these people have incredibly distinct writing styles and views of the world in which they manipulate and portray. Dick with his alternate universe earths and police states, Vonnegut with his irony laden views on everything and insights into a person's psyche, Clarke with his use of current scientific trends to create a world based on the logical evolution and application of these trends, Herbert with his far distant futures where you can pick out parallels with events and persons of today, Ellis with his completely dry and intense way of describing a person's descent into mania, etc. I've always wanted to know what other people think of this and also whether you think that these things which happen in these stories could ever happen..reasonably in reality. Also hey, for the sake of entertainment purposes which of these authors has a work which you would like to see made into a graphic representation, movie(if not done so already), anime or what have you.. or if you would like to discuss their ways lets do it. I just want to see the tastes of the average AO user.

Yo, this beast was by Lowshuwa
    my drawings

Devoted Otaku Ghattenpaw is off to a good start Ghattenpaw's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Science Fiction: Authors, their styles and characteristic plot Devices

I resent being called average! I am also into Science fiction and Fantasy. Some of my favorite authors are Heinlein, Author C. Clark, Ed Greenwood, Naomi Novik, Larry Niven, Christine Feehan, R.A. Salvatore, Gayle Greeno, Piers Anthony, Christopher Paolini, J. K. Rowling, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice, and my all time favorite Anne Mccaffrey.

I think that the Pern series would make a great anime series. There is no way that it could be done in a movie, but it would make an excellent anime. You have good guy, bad guys, a threat from outer space, love and romance, intrigue and best of all-DRAGONS!
    another author's work that would make great movies is Christine Feehan's. especially the Carpathian series. anyone of them would make a great movie. Carpathian's are beings that drink blood to survive but they have souls and do not kill or terrorize humans if they can help it. They protect the humans by hunting down and destroying vampires. They have only one soul mate, They mate for life and are able to have children. Vampires are Carpathians who have become power hungry and have lost their soul and ability to love. They are hunted down and destroyed at all cost.

Anything is Pawsable
    Growing old is Mandatory-Growing up is Optional

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

Those both sound incredibly interesting, and I think along somewhere I have heard of the Carpathian series, I'll have to check it out further.
    I myself think that Philip K. Dick's books other than the 2 that have been made into films already (A Scanner Darkly, and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (aka Blade Runner)) could make somre really great movies and anime. The one I'm reading currently really seems like a good candidate, Clans of the Alphane Moon, its got plots counter plots, a moon inhabited by mental patients, and alot of personal strife for the protagonist. I suggest it to anyone who likes a good scifi read.

my drawings

Thanks

Sounds like a good read. I'll have to look it up. Who is your all time favorite author?

Anything is Pawsable

Thanks

Hmm, honestly by sheer volume of the work I've read and papers I've based on his ideas and applications in the past the title would probably go to Arthur C. Clarke. I find the man to be a genius, for instance in one of his early works he set forth the ground work(and is accredited with the idea) for the communications satellite, he considers his style of sci-fi to be true sci-fi. Now, as to clear up any ideas one may get of him being egotistical, he states that his novels are based on current scientific theories and through careful research and deliberation he creates a natural evolution of the idea, to create the technology or what have you needed for his tale to work. He says that those who are not grounded to this respect, or something similar are writes of science fantasy and not true science fiction. You can read his full explanation of this and see his citings of theory used for the book in Songs of Distant Earth...I read it in the parking lot before work one day all 300 plus pages in a few hours. A truly engrossing read.

my drawings

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

I recently started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. If you're unfamiliar with his works he does cyberpunk stuff. So far the book is pretty good, but when I'm reading a book period I don't really like sex scenes.

Thanks

One of Author C. Clark's best books and one of my favorite's is Childhoods End. The story really makes you think about "What if" on the end of the human race as we know it.

Anything is Pawsable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    I recently started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. If you're unfamiliar with his works he does cyberpunk stuff. So far the book is pretty good, but when I'm reading a book period I don't really like sex scenes.
    Yeah, I can understand the feelings on not wanting sex scenes in a book. Myself, I don't really mind them if they are done in an reasonable amount, ie not every 5 seconds.because after awhile if you see too many in a book, it truly cheapens the story and makes one feel like every part is just setting up for the next one. However when a book uses these scenes as an insight to a character's condition its totally different, ie Patrick Bateman in American Psycho. In regards to your book, I do enjoy cyber punk style book, please say more on the author and what youre reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghattenpaw View Post
    One of Author C. Clark's best books and one of my favorite's is Childhoods End. The story really makes you think about "What if" on the end of the human race as we know it.
    I have heard nothing but good things about childhoods end, yet sadly I have not been lucky enough to come across a copy of it in any of the bookstores I goto. I want to read it so bad! However I do have First editions of 2001 and 2010, which I am very fond of.

my drawings

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast