+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Science Fiction: Authors, their styles and characteristic plot Devices

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Science Fiction: Authors, their styles and characteristic plot Devices

Well, I haven't read it in awhile because my school issues crap ass summer reading books. Anyways the story seamed kind of choppy but very interesting with how the author sees the future. The author feels the future will be like a neo-Tokyo and that people will be illegally dealing RAM and other computer parts. Though he sees arcades making a big come back I guess since one of the characters seems to always goes to one. I can't wait to finish it and begin Count Zero!

Devoted Otaku Ghattenpaw is off to a good start Ghattenpaw's Avatar
    Thanks

I recently started reading Neuromancer by William Gibson. If you're unfamiliar with his works he does cyberpunk stuff. So far the book is pretty good, but when I'm reading a book period I don't really like sex scenes.
    I've read the Neuromancer , it's a good book. John Saul and Dean Koonz are two good authors of thrillar/horror with out a lot of romance.

Avoid Christine Feehan, if you don't like romance. Her Carpathian series about Carpathians (vampire-like being except they love and have souls) who hunt down rouge Vampires(Carpathians that have lost their souls and hunger for power and killing) has lots of action but just as much heavy romance. (This would be great for thous of you who love romance and thrillar/fantasy)

Anything is Pawsable
    Growing old is Mandatory-Growing up is Optional

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    Well, I haven't read it in awhile because my school issues crap ass summer reading books. Anyways the story seamed kind of choppy but very interesting with how the author sees the future. The author feels the future will be like a neo-Tokyo and that people will be illegally dealing RAM and other computer parts. Though he sees arcades making a big come back I guess since one of the characters seems to always goes to one. I can't wait to finish it and begin Count Zero!
    Hmm, that does sound quite interesting and ghattenpaw seems to think highly of it. Also, if you like the cyber-punk styles or things of that nature definitely check out anything by Philip K. Dick. The best one to start off with in my opinion is Do Androids Dream..., great story about the relationship of men to synthetic creations both human and animal, wonderful, yet ,needless to say, way better than its movie adaptation blade runner(which is by no means bad, a classic). Also check out Flow my tears the police man said, and, the man who japped, these 2 books are also stellar.

Yo, this beast was by Lowshuwa
    my drawings

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

What are those novels you mentioned about?
    I dunno, if there's a movie adaptation I'll probably watch the movie since I'm more of a movie person, not that I hate reading, but making movies is my hobby.

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

The book I mentioned by Phillip K. Dick that was made into a movie was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" the movie is a scifi classic - Bladerunner

my drawings

Thanks

Oh okay. Like I said I'd rather watch the movie than read the book, though I like the title of the book.

super effective Last Man Standing Champion FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd may be famous one day FLawEdmiNd's Avatar
    Thanks

i dont know how sci-fi dean koontz is.. but some of his books run the border.
    a lot of his books are thrillers, suspense an such, very mysterious giving the reader very little to work with as far as predicting the next event goes.
    the taking fit here i think. the entire book spans only two or three days with constant action and a very memorable cast of characters.
    basically, this alien species comes to earth and, when they come, a n eerie rain pelts the earth continually. then, strange beings appear on the land and mysterious fauna starts to take over the native species of earth. the rain intensifies and dims but its odd glow never ceases. the humans think the worst--terraforming. the aliens are trying to adapt earth to suit their needs but...
    they've actually just killing everybody; well, not really. they spare children up to a certain age and a very select group of adult.
    basically, these aliens have seen the wickedness of the planet and hope to nip it in the bun by allowing a reset.

it was a deadly book, i couldn't sleep well for days.. my nerves were shot with fear for alien judgement, because really, who would be spared and not?
    the love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Thanks

Yeah, that one sounds like somewhat of a sci fi infused thriller, and also from your description a really good read, hopefully i can happen across a copy somewhere. Another one that I believe was Koontz was Phantoms, i would lump that on in with the scifi far, mainly based on the film adaptation, what say you?

my drawings

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast