+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Significant Game

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Significant Game

Xenosaga?

UGH... I think a lot of people are confusing "pretentous" and "self-important" with "significant".

A great deal of breakthroughs have been made in gaming... and very few of them involve preachy allusion-heavy storylines with cheap dramatic moments and very little in the way of actual gameplay. Gamers have proved time and time again that a series can have the best storyline EVER... but if it has no gameplay to back it up: they don't care.

Maybe that's why most gamers who played Xenosaga spent more time throwing the cd against the wall out of movie-watching ennui than pushing any buttons (accounting for about 20 minutes of each game's runtime).

Even viewed as a "film" -- Xenosaga is dense with technobabble, hard to follow, full of cliches and black and white charicatures, overlong, and derivative of everything from Card Captor Sakura to Star Wars.

If it had made it to theatres as that 20+ hour bloated monster mess (or even as a 4 hour cut-down mess), critics would DESTROY it.

Asian game-makers LOVE to throw in random religious and mythological names and words. They appear everywhere and in just about everything. Rarely do any of the references used actually apply to the original meaning or context. Example: Ragnarok Online contains massive amounts of references to Norse mythology, Christianity, Japanese/Chinese/Korean mythology, etc. That doesn't mean any of it applies to the importance or emotional impact of the game at all. It's still a game about levelling up, hacking monsters to death and showing off your equipment to other characters.

Some great dramatic games that weren't specifically designed to seem more "important" than they are: Shadow Hearts(PS2), Megami-Tensei (PC), Persona 2 (Playstation), Suikoden (Playstation), the Gabriel Knight series (PC), Final Fantasy VI (SNES/SF), Final Fantasy X (Playstation), The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess (Wii), Phantasy Star IV (Genesis/MS), Valkyrie Profile (SNES/SF), Galerians (Playstation), Metal Gear Solid (Playstation), Shadow of the Collosus (Playstation 2), ICO (Playstation 2)

Games are supposed to be FUN. I'm fine with drama, as long as it doesn't destroy the fun.

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I really loved Tales of Symphonia. I loved the plot and the characters. I fell in love with all of them. It also touched on many subjects and presented many views. I had a lot of fun with it and definitely got me into a thinking session.

Randomly Renny!!! XD Boiler Breakdown Champion, Lotads Lament Champion, Crystal Island Champion, Festive Fallout Champion Renn may be famous one day Renn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    I really loved Tales of Symphonia. I loved the plot and the characters. I fell in love with all of them. It also touched on many subjects and presented many views. I had a lot of fun with it and definitely got me into a thinking session.
    Yeah i know. A lot of the Tales series does that. They are a great game. The have a good storyline and there is something about them that have that...charm. Tales of Symphonia was my first of the seies to play and i just fell in love with and i just kept playing it over and over.....

'This world is trash. Cursed by the Fon Master...'

Otaku Chaos105 may be famous one day Chaos105 may be famous one day Chaos105's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy X kinda touched me. I haven't played Symphonia in a long time since I sold it a while back, but if I remember correctly, it's like what Renn said. It left me with some good things that helped me.

And with FFX, I dunno exactly, but that game just was great. How one life can affect you. It can make you strive for the best. I also like it how the story line continued with X2.

They say, "I will die for my country." I never hear them say, "I will kill for my country."

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

I say God of War. The reason is that its shows that nothing is impossible. Think of this way. Kratos proven that escaping hell isnt impossibe, i lost count, on how many time he escaped.

Killing a god is possible,
     click to show spoiler

This is why God of War is good. Show nothing is impossible. Just need to find a way to do it.
    Last edited by aceman67; Jan 18, 2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Tsk Tsk...
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

i have to say the kingdom hearts series. these games made me feel more strongly about every friendship i have, and basically made me realize my life belongs to only one person, my own real life kairi.
    Why hello there!

Randomly Renny!!! XD Boiler Breakdown Champion, Lotads Lament Champion, Crystal Island Champion, Festive Fallout Champion Renn may be famous one day Renn's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmmm...yeah Kingdom Hearts was a good game. The storyline was the great and the meaning and what it was about was awsome!!!! Its a very good game in all. Although this has brought up another game, I like Wild Arms 4. Very nice game. I like how it focuses around friendship and what your purpose is and other stuff....

'This world is trash. Cursed by the Fon Master...'

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have to say Metal Gear Solid (any of them) and Zone of the Enders. They both pretty much cover the same topic: War.

Both game franchises leave you breathless with thier stunning graphics and amazing gameplay, and they both speak on the pros and cons of war. I, being a non-confrontational kind of guy, particularly like that they try to teach that kind of moral value. I also like how Z.O.E. kinda looks at issues like segregation. If you lived past the asteroid belt in that game, you were considered an "Ender" and was treated as such. They had little to no civil rights what-so-ever. So, playing those games were really interesting because you get to see how others view those types of issues in a futuristic setting; where as in Metal Gear you see it in a present setting.

Both games have added fuel to the fire that is my animosity toward politicians and the like. They have inspired me to live life as a peaceful man, rather than become a "war-monger" who wastes his time on trivial battles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast