+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: The so called 4th dimension on PS3

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The so called 4th dimension on PS3

I had a revalation when I was reading Sony's press release; the 4th dimension is a buzzword for the new revolution in digital home entertainment, if you think about it. It seems as though with the recent statements that Sony is trying to make the PS3 the main home system, with the ability to add OS's to the console, you could run servers and applications and such, programs such as Linux and Windows and even Apple could run, add to the fact that the supposed specs will allow it to rival a computer, if you take these facts in consideration then you could possibly run television and programs through the system just like a computer; but it also has the ability to play games.

Now thats from the hardware side, now for the software side so to speak, do you remember the Sony lawsuits about DRM, think about it, with current legislation for wider DRM control over music and movies, especially with Sony Music CD's doesn't seem as if Sony wants to be in control of the digital age, by using the existing DMCA and the DRM Sony can help control the content that is released while simultainously launching it and having it be played on the PS3 at home.

This is the 4th dimension, its not a revolution in gaming, its a revolution in digital entertainment. I will admit, I am a sony fan, I will buy the PS3 to play games, but thats as far as it will go for me.

However, what I am more impressed with no matter how many bad posts or how many rants and raves about Sony, I applaud them for thinking ahead, this is the reason why companies and the industrial sector and our lives have been improved, it is thinking globally, trying to vie for the top. I am impressed with their vision, but I think it will end up costing them more than they can handle.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie milh_amethyz may be famous one day milh_amethyz may be famous one day milh_amethyz's Avatar
    Thanks

i wanna ask something what DMCA and DRM stands for?

F o c u s i n g O n W a h t ' s I m p o r t a n t

C l e v e r l y S e e i n g T h r o u g h W h a t e v e r I s A h e a d O f M e

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks

milh_amethz, this is good that you asked that, becuase and I am sorry, my post should have been more clear for everyone not in the U.S. DMCA stands for the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which was a law the congress of the U.S. passed in 1998 in order to help stop copyright infringement on music and movies and other legislation like this, as the next decade came upon and downloading music and movies was more wide-spread and because of P2P networks sharing music and movies and illegal downloading, the government then add provisions making the Act stricter in terms of what it can do such as lawsuits and subpoenas for not only downloaders but those companies that provide the software, there is a silent debate going on about how much control the DMCA provides the government and the Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, it is a little-known thing right now that allows a company to control the rights to its music, a very good example of what DRM can do is the SonyBMG case, this case though not about the DRM exactly illustrates though the power of such a software; because DRM is an up and comming technology, it needs to be debated and thoughly thought out of first.

as a side note: in order not to confuse people, the SonyBMG case wasn't about the DRM per say, this is something on its own, but about the fact that the DRM software installed worked just like a hackers software, it could allow a hacker easy access to a persons computer.
    Last edited by KnightofNi; Jun 11, 2006 at 06:01 PM.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4