+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Project Needlemouse Is... Sonic 4, Episode I

SEGA has announced Sonic 4: Episode I. It is, as GameSpot reports, a 2D downloadable game with 3D visuals.

The announcement is part of the Project Needlemouse build up SEGA has been pushing since last September 2009. "Needlemouse" refers to Sonic's codename when the game that would become Sonic The Hedgehog was initially being pitched.

While teasing this Project Needlemouse project, SEGA has stated that the game is a return to Sonic's 2D roots and that the blue hedgehog will be the only playable character.

The game will pick up after Sonic & Knucles, but, as "Episode I" indicates, this is a new story arc.

When asked if this means the title is episodic, associate brand manager Ken Balough told GameSpot: "As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!"

So that's a "yes" to episodic Sonic?

The game will feature traditional Sonic mechanics like spin dash, power sneakers and whatnot, but also an added "homing attack".

Sonic 4: Episode I will be heading to the PSN, Xbox LIVE Arcade and WiiWare this summer. It's possible to use motion control with the Wii version and SIXAXIS controls with the PS3 version.

I think I just had a Nerdgasm.

For those of us older folks who enjoyed Sonic when, well, he was brand new (This was back in 1991), and then enjoyed Sonic 2, and then Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles, and then completely lost faith in the franchise when Team Sonic butchered it on every subsequent release since, this should come as a god-send.

I think my faith has been restored... somewhat. I'll wait and see until it comes out.

But I'm not all surprised, considering the success that Nintendo had with their latest Mario game, where they returned to their pure side scrolling roots, but still used the 3-D capabilities of the console.

I tip my hat to Sega.

(Also, for those of you who post news stories for threads: This is how its done. Quote the story, then write a response to that story in detail.)

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

I liked Sonic Heroes ok... but the other stuff not so much....

it is very nintendo-esque, isn't it? I kinda like how the old companies are remaking their old engines with new graphics. Although I think Mario was integrated well into the 3D engine, Sonic games definitely aren't as fun 3D, their gameplay is still too linear.

I didn't read anything in the article that said it'd be out for the DS though? I would've thought a game like this would be an ideal portable game. Kinda like NEW Super Mario Bros. a few years back. I know they said it'd be episodic, but I do hope they eventually come out with a DS version of it.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

That was a very long time ago when Sonic came out and I do not think that the later editions improved on anything. Even the greatest renovation of of the classics can not motivate me to buy sega again. Nothing beats the original.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm seriously hoping it moves just as fast as the old Sonic games. The vid:
    YouTube - [Trailer] Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
    It looks so-so fast so far, then again, it hasn't shown him in full speed. I just remember watching my relatives playing it with their freak-speeds (I'm never confident enough to go full speed in a Sonic game... I often die). I'm hoping it's just as fast.

Fast enough to only kinda' know what the heck's going on, y'know?

Sonic and the Secret Rings was a pretty okay 3D Sonic. It ain't got nothin' on old-school Sonic, but it's pretty good for what it is. Just sayin' that not all 3D Sonic games were terrible.

Otaku mechataku may be famous one day mechataku may be famous one day mechataku's Avatar
    Thanks

i'll probably give this game a try. i played the original sonic (up, down, left, right, A+start!), and sonic 2, and had a little experience with sonic and knuckles....this is a long deserved return to the classic. i tried various versions of the 3D sonic with very little interest.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mechataku View Post
    had a little experience with sonic and knuckles
    Many (including I) would say you need much MORE experience with Sonic and Knuckles. Best Sonic EVER.

...in fact, a few Sonic and Knuckles fans around the net (not including me) are semi-complaining about this game since they considered Sonic and Knuckles an "episodic" game, they don't like the idea that this game is being episodic but all sold separately.

Otaku mechataku may be famous one day mechataku may be famous one day mechataku's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    Many (including I) would say you need much MORE experience with Sonic and Knuckles. Best Sonic EVER.

...in fact, a few Sonic and Knuckles fans around the net (not including me) are semi-complaining about this game since they considered Sonic and Knuckles an "episodic" game, they don't like the idea that this game is being episodic but all sold separately.
    i'd disagree, i thought sonic 2 was better...of course, i've always been weird with my video game choices.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I think I just had a Nerdgasm.
    You and me both!

I've been a huge Sonic fan ever since the original in '91. I've been hoping that Sega would do something to make up for the epic fail in the most recent Sonic games (IE: Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders and, from what I hear, Sonic the Hedgehog--NextGen.)

I'm gonna keep an eye on this stew and hope it turns out to be tasty.

+ Reply to Thread