+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soundtracks

Newbie angelstarbeam may be famous one day angelstarbeam may be famous one day angelstarbeam's Avatar
    on a distant planet where i am a humble storyteller. in reality, i live in a city. not telling which
    Thanks

Soundtracks

I have no training in music. I can't sing, can't read music sheets, note different tones, or play an instrument. But the one the things I love about a film is the music score. Right now I'm listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack, before that was How to Train You Dragon, and before that was Dark Crystal and Secret of NIMH.

are there any to recommend, personal favorites? What about the people who do know music, what are your thoughts?
    The noble ones of this world
    Are the ones that repent
    of their own sins

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Soundtracks

I'm musically knowledgeable, and I love the Amelie soundtrack (composer is Yann Tiersen), Shutter Island soundtrack (various composers), the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks (have no idea who composed it), The Piano soundtrack (Michael Nyman), and others that I can't think of.
    Those are just movies, though. As far as video games/anime, I absolutely love Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts and various Final Fantasies), Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill), Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy VII), Chikayo Fukuda (.hack//G.U.), Yuki Kajiura/See-saw (.hack//SIGN), and Masashi Hamauzu (Final Fantasy XIII and various piano scores).

I agree that what really makes a film, anime, or video game is the music. If the music isn't good, then it makes it very difficult to watch/play. As you can tell, I love a ton of Asian composers, but I think Yann Tiersen is my favorite living composer. He's French, and he composed the soundtrack to Amelie (or "Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amelie Poulain", "The Wonderful Destiny/Life of Amelie Poulain"). It's no coincidence that it's also my favorite movie of all time, despite how odd it is.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Danny Elfman. He composes several of the soundtracks for Tim Burton movies.
    Last edited by BrightShadow_96; May 14, 2011 at 08:26 AM.

Newbie angelstarbeam may be famous one day angelstarbeam may be famous one day angelstarbeam's Avatar
    on a distant planet where i am a humble storyteller. in reality, i live in a city. not telling which
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrightShadow_96 View Post
    I'm musically knowledgeable, and I love the Amelie soundtrack (composer is Yann Tiersen), Shutter Island soundtrack (various composers), the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks (have no idea who composed it), The Piano soundtrack (Michael Nyman), and others that I can't think of.
    Those are just movies, though. As far as video games/anime, I absolutely love Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts and various Final Fantasies), Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill), Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy VII), Chikayo Fukuda (.hack//G.U.), Yuki Kajiura/See-saw (.hack//SIGN), and Masashi Hamauzu (Final Fantasy XIII and various piano scores).

I agree that what really makes a film, anime, or video game is the music. If the music isn't good, then it makes it very difficult to watch/play. As you can tell, I love a ton of Asian composers, but I think Yann Tiersen is my favorite living composer. He's French, and he composed the soundtrack to Amelie (or "Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amelie Poulain", "The Wonderful Destiny/Life of Amelie Poulain"). It's no coincidence that it's also my favorite movie of all time, despite how odd it is.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Danny Elfman. He composes several of the soundtracks for Tim Burton movies.
    My personal favorite is Beetlejuice. What is your area of expertise?
    The noble ones of this world
    Are the ones that repent
    of their own sins

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelstarbeam View Post
    My personal favorite is Beetlejuice. What is your area of expertise?
    As far as musical expertise? I'm a pianist, and I've also had a bit of experience with the saxophone. Plus, I'm well-versed in music theory.

+ Reply to Thread