+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Park and other parodies, How far is too far?

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

South Park and other parodies, How far is too far?

South Park and other shows( Robot Chicken, Family Guy, various youtube stunts) have been known for over the top humour, normally revolving around shocking themes which can include violence, rape, 'tasteless', profanity and general shock methods. However, even though they've been facing heat, lawsuits and threats forever, when do they go too far?

Trey Parker and Matt Stone have made many movies, many known to us as South Park: The Movie, Team America: World Police, and to a lesser extent, BASEketball and their older films. And while they included constant profanity and parodies of people, now they are actually taking down episodes.

The most infamous and recent being the 'Dead Celebrities' episode, in which they make fun of the recently deceased celebrities, (MJ, Natasha Richardson, Billy Mays, Patrick Swayze, etc.) Do you feel that this is too soon? and did it offend you? Discuss.

I personally enjoy their blatantly crude humour and find that sometimes they're out to offend anyone, and they have consistently done recent hot topics.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: South Park and other parodies, How far is too far?

I am okay with it since I know what to expect when I watch South Park. As far as too far, I would say no. At least it is balanced, they make fun of everyone in South Park. This sort of goes alon gwith other stuff I posted, on when is it reasonable to be offended. We know South Park and that is the sort of thing to expect. If people get offended easily they should probably watch something else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beast For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Nov 04, 2009)

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with beast, its South Park for god sake, you know they are going to do what they do, its to be expected. Also they are fair in that they pick on every one so I don't want to hear any complaining about "Its over the top/to far..."... Then I guess you learn to have a sense of humor or go watch something that wont offend you. Also, I love Robot Chicken, sure many are shocking but they do it in a way that it makes you laugh. Also they joke about them selves. How many times have you seen the directors and creaters, Seth Green and those guys in their own parodies? Tons of times.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

I agree, I've been a fan of both of them for a while. While I got a little sick of Robot Chicken, I enjoy Metalocalpyse and Superjail, which get waay more violent and psychedelic then South Park.

Like I said, Matt and Trey are out to offend anyone, and they're funny while doing it. Yet even though censorship has always been a factor, this actually shocked me considering they had to take it down on both TV (for cable too) and their own website( South Park Studios ).

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Shows like those have already gone way too far in the past. Family Guy for instance was taken off the air twice for their content but they eventually got redemption and continue to push the envelope further than ever before. Curb Your Enthusiasim is another case, last week they aired an episode where Larry went to the bathroom and because of his heart medication making him piss wildly, he accidently splashed a portrait of Jesus Christ. A women and mother that lived there noticed it and thought it was a tear dripping down his face and took it as a miracle. The Catholic church was outrgaed about it but there's not much you can really do about it.
    Last edited by Artistic Anarchy; Nov 04, 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

nah...i don't think so. you see...the beauty of parodies that it shows the true character of a person when his or her perspective is been put to a challenge.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

While TV has to continue to sink lower and lower to shock and disgust us, I don't think they've ever crossed a line as far as the general public goes. Sure there are going to be groups of people whose lines TV shows like South Park, Family Guy, etc have crossed, and because those groups had influence they were able to censor and in Family Guy's case have them removed from TV for awhile. However in the end, freedom of expression prevails, and we will always have shows that point out the absurdity of ourselves so long as America retains its ideas of freedom.

I find those who take to any parody personally when it comes to shows like Family Guy, South Park, whatever, are quite immature or insecure and should learn to lighten up and know how to take a joke. Because while some people laugh because they believe it's true (we call those people morons/assholes), most intelligent people know that parodies are often making fun of the stereotypes and generalizations we make as humans and pointing out how absurd we can be when we follow these hypocritical or ridiculous "rules" of society.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Nov 05, 2009)

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm very used to their obscure humor, but I think it crosses the line when they start dedicating a whole episode to farts and queefs and other subjects like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast