+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Park and other parodies, How far is too far?

Otaku POOHEAD189 is off to a good start POOHEAD189's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: South Park and other parodies, How far is too far?

I don't think a comedy can go too far if the person watching it has the right maturity. Not that going extrememly far is funny, but everyone has different tastes.
    Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I say it's ridiculous to ban it. Censorship does no good, and not only that, why? They've cracked jokes about dead people, the only difference was that these had just died. Remember their old episode with AIDs being funny? They had some truth in that. It took people 22 years to make AIDs jokes, and it's commonplace on a subject that people were devastated about back then. If anyone else watched the Joan Rivers roast earlier this year I say those jokes went way beyond even South Park level.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

A slightly related topic with some importance to this thread...

3 boys held in attacks on redheads - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

We all have to keep in mind how influential television can be....
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Television is infulental of those who are week minded, to think something in a cartoon will be just as funny as in real life with no consaquences shows complete stupidity.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Yes, TV and the media are highly influential, but you can't only blame them when stuff like that happens.

For instance, why the hell are 12 year olds watching South Park, a show that is on comedy central with warnings and is rated Mature for television audiences? Granted, I know 11 years who watch adult swim, but it's their own parent's faults. I also know kids whose parents blocked adult swim until they're old enough to understand that just because you see it on TV, doesn't mean you go and act it out.

I think Malcolm Mcdowell explains it well.

I mean I remember when they decided to air one of my favorite music videos again on TV my mom was having a fit. Especially because a few guys at my school thought it was 'cool' to act it out and I specifically remember some idiots getting hurt with some bondage equipment because some genius decided that if Trent Reznor does it, so does he. Not to mention it made them ban wearing any type of leather, trench coats or Doc Martens in the school dress code. It's mainly idiots or psychos who screw it up for everyone else, not that the general public.

EDIT: Scourge brought up a good point too. If the kid's are stupid to begin with, then I think they were just bullying anyway, but now they have a specific target to blame. They're stupid bullies who decided instead of stealing lunch money, that they were going to pick on gingers because they saw Cartman do it.
    Last edited by EmoNightmareRose; Dec 01, 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

However, you guys do have to factor in, yes they are offensive to everyone, no one is exempt. But there are times where I did feel uneasy. Perhaps by the Anti Semitic remarks (yes, I know they been doing that forever) but when it really does border Nazi like behavior is the only time it gets me. Name calling is one thing, provoking minor violence is another (pokes, a punch on the arm), but when it gets to the point of suggesting killing is when i have to stop. South Park hasn't reached a level like that yet, and I hope it doesn't, but it can always escalate into violence because people in the audience tend to go over board. Yes, the parents are to blame for most of it, but there's outlets where a parent isn't to blame. Like for instance, many websites that stream or upload the show are sites that kids go on a lot. (ex. Youtube.)

One example is that I decided to stop watching Family Guy when I saw the uncut clip of when Quagmire rapes Marge Simpson until she likes it, then kills the entire Simpsons family. I saw it, understood why Fox cut it, and had enough with Family Guy and their rape jokes. There's a point where it's funny, and then there's a point where they sound like the guys in the 18+ sections of 4chan.

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

I just wish that cable would get another anime channel, because HBO they are all about series now and network tv like TNT they want to show moives now So I have no idea what tv is comming too.

Newbie sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo may be famous one day sanuramo's Avatar
    Thanks

Never will a television show cross the line!!! well that would be because to me there is no line i joke about what i want when and where i want to! and if you gotta problem! hey look it's your problem not mine!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast