+ Reply to Thread

Thread: starship trooper questions

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

starship trooper questions

for those who have seen the movie and the OVA anime, i would like to ask for an answer because i'm lost here. why is it john rico wasn't portrayed as a filipino from either of them?
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: starship trooper questions

Damn, and here I thought we were going to discuss the politics of the series, which people often get confused about...

Two ways to explain this: 1. they wanted to use a Non-Minority actor/Character to portray the character, or 2. Its several hundred years in the future, and its not that far off that a White family with a Filipino name lives in South America.

Now, I got the original 1959 novel on order at my local book store, so I'm going to have the book read most likely before the middle of next month.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

In the movie, wasn't it 'Rio' that got flattened??? Maybe they wanted to destroy a city with better name recognition and appeal...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

It was Buenos Aires that got flattened in the movie. In the book I am not sure.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Damn, and here I thought we were going to discuss the politics of the series, which people often get confused about...

Two ways to explain this: 1. they wanted to use a Non-Minority actor/Character to portray the character, or 2. Its several hundred years in the future, and its not that far off that a White family with a Filipino name lives in South America.

Now, I got the original 1959 novel on order at my local book store, so I'm going to have the book read most likely before the middle of next month.
    uuuhhh...rico wasn't even mentioned as white...juan "johnny" rico, does that even sound white to you?
    even in the anime OVA, he wasn't even portrayed as a filipino or an asian even. that twice already...and it doesn't seemed right.
    and you can discuss the politics, etc. but i still want an answer.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Well here is my answer that I believe best exaplins it... Its Hollywood, they don't care about that sort of thing when making a movie based off of a book. Also I have read the book, and there is an even bigger issue then just Rico not being filipeno and that is the fact that in the book, the BUGS were far more intelagent and knew how to use and had technology if memory serves me right which was not shown in any of the movies.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

+ Reply to Thread